New Tracer GT owner researching seat options

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:18 PM, quaxum said:

Hi Guys, would like to do an in depth review of the bagster seats, owed them for about 3 weeks.

TL;DR: Bultex is very soft. So soft that i could feel the seat pan. Couldn't find it comfortable at all.

For reference i'm about 5"7 (174cm) and have a 32" inseam.

They are soft. Much softer than the stock. So soft that i felt that my butt sinks into the seat pan. I never felt comfortable on it at all. i kept fidgeting to find a right spot. I just couldn't.

Low seat on the Bultex eliminates the sloping issue. The high was neither here nor there. I just couldn't have it in the high position at all.

Every morning when i get onto the bike, the initial feel was always good. But after a 5-10min ride. I just kept moving and moving trying to find a right spot to sit in, just never could.

I've sold it and now I'm back to the stock high seat. Although it feels much harder/firmer, it suits my butt much better. And i feel much more at home with the stock seat in the high position.

Finally for the only pro i can think of is that it looks so much nicer on the bike. But the cons outweights the pros.

My 2c. Feel free to hit me up with any questions :)

BULTEX Bagster Seat Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

BULTEX Bagster Seat Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

do you mind me asking your weight ?,,   5' 7" and 32" inseam ,,wow,,   Im 5 '10" 31 inseam,   seat in lower position and still feel WAY to tall off the ground . I am 165lbs and for me the stock seat has no give,,feels like im sitting on a piece of plywood. sometimes i wonder if yamaha even R&D their bikes with all the goovey  things they do,, now they can add the seat to the list ,,first thing i noticed when i sat on it was the seat pitching me forward  and zero compression . after an hour on some twisty roads and my groin is screaming

I bought a used front and rear seat from a member that had bought a Sargent seat

I sent the front seat to Terry Adcox to be rebuilt. He matched the seat cover to be the same as the rear.

684725900_AdcoxSeat(Large).thumb.JPG.4864a16a2514eb72df9bfd9119e17e58.JPG

It's a very comfortable seat and if I want to ride more spirited and hang off the bike I just put the original seat back on. It's great to have a choice.

I should add that originally I was contemplating a Sargent seat for the Tracer. However Sargent totally messed up their new Tracer GT seat by starting with a seat pan they had for an older MT09 and it did not fit properly.

I had Sargent seats on several bike before the Tracer and they were nice. But their Tracer GT seat was FUBAR

Edited by dpippin
  • Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

I will for sure be going this route likely in the Spring, I mean for the small amount of money I just have to. 

19Tracer900frontrearweb_medium.png?v=157

Width: 12 1/8" Height: Same as OEM Details:Don't let the painful factory...

For the '15-'17 FJ09 they offer both the "comfort" and "sport-touring" seats, I bought the comfort seat and it was fine, definitely not great.  I then tried the sport-touring version, again, it was ok but it didn't make me say "WOW" - not even close.  So 'strike three' was getting a custom seat built, measured, contoured and built to fit me like a glove - ALL day comfort.

To be fair, their product is built well and there is nothing 'wrong' with it but was shaped wrong for me, if I had the tools, knowledge and time, I could have modified their foam to fit me better, but for the money I spent, I could have bought the custom seat to begin with.   YMMV.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I got this for my 19 GT soon after purchase and have over 12k miles on it.  It's well made and, ah, comfortable.  This seat has never limited how many miles I ride.  And for front and rear a good price.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, Ride365 said:

I will for sure be going this route likely in the Spring, I mean for the small amount of money I just have to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I may do the same.  Even though I modded my stock seat as much as possible, it's still not quite right.  I have the tools and experience, and the price for the Seat Concepts kit is.....acceptable I guess.

However, I phoned Seat Concepts a few months ago with some Q's.  A gal there said they eliminate "most" of the forward pitch.  My takeaway was that there will still be some pitch after install.  Not sure if that'll work for me.  I'd actually prefer a slight back pitch, if anything.  There's also a decision to be made between the two foam densities offered, based on rider's weight.  I'm right on the cusp weight-wise, so prolly no Goldie Lox choice for me there.  

What to do?  

If the pics I've seen of some of the Adcox seats are accurate, then I think he's onto something with that "bucket" design.  (but man....the wait time)

The Comfort Quest continues.

• 4 months later...

I'm in contact with Adcox in Manchesyer TN. Less expensive than others. And frankly if a seat comes from overseas and needs work seems to me you are screwed. I may try some upholstery shops too, many nearby to take my seat and arse to for fitting.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:18 PM, quaxum said:

Hi Guys, would like to do an in depth review of the bagster seats, owed them for about 3 weeks.

TL;DR: Bultex is very soft. So soft that i could feel the seat pan. Couldn't find it comfortable at all.

For reference i'm about 5"7 (174cm) and have a 32" inseam.

They are soft. Much softer than the stock. So soft that i felt that my butt sinks into the seat pan. I never felt comfortable on it at all. i kept fidgeting to find a right spot. I just couldn't.

Low seat on the Bultex eliminates the sloping issue. The high was neither here nor there. I just couldn't have it in the high position at all.

Every morning when i get onto the bike, the initial feel was always good. But after a 5-10min ride. I just kept moving and moving trying to find a right spot to sit in, just never could.

I've sold it and now I'm back to the stock high seat. Although it feels much harder/firmer, it suits my butt much better. And i feel much more at home with the stock seat in the high position.

Finally for the only pro i can think of is that it looks so much nicer on the bike. But the cons outweights the pros.

My 2c. Feel free to hit me up with any questions :)

I find that interesting.  I felt the opposite about my Bagster, it is firm almost too firm, thought it had the Bultex foam.  It combined with my AirHawk is, for me. a super comfortable combination.  I expect it to get better as it's just getting broken in.

• Thumbsup 2

I was curious about the Terry Adcox seat option so I contacted him via his website. Response came back that he is booked through August and isn't taking any orders at this time. Testament to his product and the limited availability of good affordable seat options. FYI fellow inmates!

Before I order...trying to confirm this seat will work with my 2020 GT...I am going to assume yes but it says 2018/2019 in the description.  Wish I could find it in all black with black welts.  Not sure this red matches up with the 2020 metallic red.  Any input would be great!

Edited by CRFan250

10 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

Before I order...trying to confirm this seat will work with my 2020 GT...I am going to assume yes but it says 2018/2019 in the description.  Wish I could find it in all black with black welts.  Not sure this red matches up with the 2020 metallic red.  Any input would be great!

I'll let you know. I've got one coming in a couple days. 

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

It will work for the 18-20.

It will not work for the new Tracer 9 2021

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, cwjb said:

I'll let you know. I've got one coming in a couple days. 

Thank you!  I look forward to seeing it on your bike if you post a pic and hearing your thoughts on it.  Is it the red welted seat for your Metallic red 2020?  I just noticed I also live about an hour from you so maybe we can meet up and I can check your seat out?  I am in Munster, IN

Edited by CRFan250