How much brake fluid required when changing lines?

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I installed the Speigler 5-line kit which went pretty well with their detailed instructions with color photos.  I cut the old hard lines out, which greatly simplified the process and minimized scratching the frame. Why have 7 lines with the junction block and OEM hard lines to boot?  Sorry for you but more connections = more work and places to leak...

Yes I hear you and that would have been my first option except for the possible supply issue here.  Should have gone with my gut feeling on this but how hard could it be after all! 🙄

Anyway, I've spent the dosh and I'm committed now.  By the end of this I may very well be committed!!

5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@wordsmith - No, but after starting this job I'm thinking of giving it a crack - pun intended.

Very good!   Three Weetbix for brekkie today no doubt!!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes I hear you and that would have been my first option except for the possible supply issue here.  Should have gone with my gut feeling on this but how hard could it be after all! 🙄

Anyway, I've spent the dosh and I'm committed now.  By the end of this I may very well be committed!!

Don't worry, Dazz - I have it on very good authority that today (Friday) is the day some restrictions affecting we bikers will be lifted...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Don't worry, Dazz - I have it on very good authority that today (Friday) is the day some restrictions affecting we bikers will be lifted...

@wordsmith -That nonesense probably came from someone who should be committed!

• Supporting Member

Just to finish the thread off: -

Here's the detailed description of how to install a seven-line braided brake line kit - DON'T!  End of description.

OK, jesting (sort of) aside.   I managed to get the new lines connected after several hours of pushing and pulling of the hard lines after disconnecting their mounting positions and releasing the blocks.

And most importantly, purchasing a proper 10mm line wrench instead of trying to use my el cheapo home made one.

If I had my time again, I'd definitely go the five-line option.  By far, most of my time was spent frigging around with those unions and associated hard lines!!

I haven't refilled and bled the new install yet and I pray that I've got my hard-line connections nice and tight and that there are no leaks.  If there are leaks, (shudder) I think I'll just order two long hoses that replace the hard lines completely - or burn the bike in a demonic ceremony - They were HEL lines that I installed after all. 😉

On a positive note the HEL lines are well made and there is an option on their web site that allows you to submit your own custom line request so in theory you could get a five-liner made up from scratch rather than just buying their kit.

@betoney - I think it was you that made the observation that Spiegler were the only ones that you knew of that had banjos that you could rotate yourself?  FWIW, the HEL lines are the same.  This is a great way to fine tune your alignments I agree.

I've also taken the opportunity to install a hydraulic rear brake switch as part of this install.

Some pics -

20200424_171101_resized.thumb.jpg.f453b234087750ae4c2d3b902e3a3a8d.jpg20200424_175724_resized.thumb.jpg.b3a44a6e69645f61fdc62142ce680afd.jpg20200424_175940_resized.thumb.jpg.66541345c23383209906ba5204dc6719.jpg20200424_175917_resized.thumb.jpg.de266668b63e129268ef35d2b932a586.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been following the thread for a while now and want to thank @dazzler24 for the info he's posted. It put me off a seven line kit completely 🤣

Just got to wait for the postal service now.

Screenshot_20200425-002159_Gmail.jpg

• Like 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - Glad to hear that you made it through the install but sorry to hear that it was such a pain.  All you have left to do is a brake bleed and test ride. 😎👍

I was unaware that the HEL lines have adjustable banjo fittings, as you found out, that feature is VERY beneficial for a perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

"I've also taken the opportunity to install a hydraulic rear brake switch as part of this install".   Que??.   

But well done, dazz - I think we have all sweated with you through this.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, wordsmith said:

"I've also taken the opportunity to install a hydraulic rear brake switch as part of this install".   Que??.   

But well done, dazz - I think we have all sweated with you through this.

@wordsmith - Que, you ask my Spanish friend.  Well, it replaces the mechanical existing rear brake switch that can and does  get full of crud.  The hydraulic switch utilises the hydraulic pressure from the brake line directly as it is now in-line with the brake line so no more dirty contacts not turning on your rear brake light as well as not signalling your cruise control (if you have one).

Lo entiendes?

And yes, I too was more than a little nervous after removing all of the brake lines down to the hard lines and wondering if I was ever going to have brakes again!!

There were images of Fred Flintstone and his braking techniques that I thought I might have to emulate.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

I was unaware that the HEL lines have adjustable banjo fittings, as you found out, that feature is VERY beneficial for a perfect fit.

For anyone who was unsure of the feature that we are talking about......

20200424_180117_resized.thumb.jpg.be3c0b36c14b0cee177bd0921545e70c.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
Just now, Buggy Nate said:

That’s new for them, never used to be like that and it shit me to tears. I hated fitting lines that didn’t line up properly. Ruins a good install.

Let us know how you go mate.

I've just finished bleeding the brakes a few minutes ago and will leave them sit overnight with a weight on the rear brake pedal and a cable tie on the front brake lever to see if I can get any trapped air out overnight.  Having said that I don't know if there is any air trapped as the pedal and lever feel great after bleeding but I read of people doing it so can't hurt.

I used a vacuum bleeder to evacuate the OEM lines and then to suck in the fluid for the new ones.  Makes the job a fair bit quicker.

The only thing now is whether I need to activate that ABS unit or not?!  Plenty of discussion around with some saying yes and some no.

I think I'll just try and get it to activate front and back just in case.  I don't think I've ever had it go off yet so might be a worthwhile test anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've just finished bleeding the brakes a few minutes ago and will leave them sit overnight with a weight on the rear brake pedal and a cable tie on the front brake lever .....

Just be careful to remove the weight and the cable-tie before heading-off to test the ABS.   Stranger things have happened!

• Premium Member

#1, Spiegler provides a plastic clamshell clamp designed to restrain the ferule in a vice while the banjo fitting is rotated.  The plastic tool gets chewed if you use it only 2 or 3 times.  I'd bet they'd send you a new one for free.

#2, How does one activate the ABS safely?  Wait for a rainy day and close your eyes?  The only time mine triggered in front only was on a particular road, braking over a stutter bump, and that was before I re-valved and sprung my forks.