FJ-09 to Tracer GT

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, mattemike said:

About 14 months ago I traded in a well modded FJ for a MT-10 which had always caught my eye.  Excellent chance that later today I buy a '20 GT for sport touring.  So I'm going to be a forum regular again.

If you get a chance, I would love to hear a direct comparison between the FJ09 and MT10 - besides the obvious power increase.  I have a riding buddy that also has a FJ09 and is enamored with the thought of 'upgrading' to the CP4.  Interested in thoughts of weight, width, handling, nimbleness, is it worthwhile?, overkill? etc. 

Thanks, Brian

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Brian as you know the MT-10 is really the 3d gen of the FZ1 but this gen has much closer cross plane engine to the R1.  Didn't put a lot of miles on mine, only 882 b4 I sold it but overall it was a good experience.  Somewhat heavier than FJ obviously but weight seemed to be on a lower cg so it handled well imo.  It tracked very well thru corners with bars providing great leverage..  Cruise control was a big plus as was the quick shifter.  Edgy looks meant the bike stood out from other naked sport bikes. Only negative was gas mileage was not great as it's tuned for power.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Congratuations mattemike. Last month i traded in my FJ-09 on a new leftover 2019 Tracer GT. Here in central NY (NOT NYC) winter will not let go so i have only ridden a little over 500 miles on it so far but i am loving it. Especially the features that my FJ did not have. Also like the extended wheelbase which i think makes for a much more stable and well planted ride.

Last summer my buddy had a MT-10 that i took a short ride on. I really liked the bike but it thought it would be a bit overkill for what i was looking for at the time. I opted for a new XSR900 instead which makes a great pairing with my new Tracer GT.

Edited by metallion
MJ

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.