OEM Chain Poor Quality??

This is what I am seeing at 7500 miles.  Looks as though it is spitting bits of o-ring.  That or maybe this is what is commonly called "flashing" in the rubber and plastics industry.  As said before I am using the same chain cleaning methods I have used for years on other bikes with no issues and excellent chain wear.  The slightly red residue seen in the photo is just fuzz off the rag I used to wipe the chain a bit before taking the photo.

20200424_095613.jpg

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 my OEM chain looks pretty dam close to yours at 9000mi. the O-rings have shavings on them and some some stiff links. I have used chain cleaner when needed and a rag to rub it in (no Grung brush) and Motul lube. OEM chains and tires are never as good as aftermarket replacements in my opinion. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, betoney said:

It is the DID VX X-Ring, the gold is +$10 over the natural color.  FWIW, their Superlite sprockets are awesome, they wear like iron.

I have used Sprocket Center for many years, they offer many gearing choices, front and rear and alter the chain length according to your sprocket selection.  For my +2 tooth rear sprocket they sent me a(+2) 112 link chain (112 for the FJ, the Tracer will be longer).

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

I get that it's pretty subjective, but how do you feel about the +2 teeth on the rear in practice?

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I get that it's pretty subjective, but how do you feel about the +2 teeth on the rear in practice?

I love it.  I have done the same gearing on past bikes for about 25 years.  Quicker acceleration and it seems to tighten up the transmission gear ratios.  I can still pull a long time in each gear but with stock gearing it took longer to get to the 'sweet spot' (5k and above).

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

18 hours ago, betoney said:

I love it.  I have done the same gearing on past bikes for about 25 years.  Quicker acceleration and it seems to tighten up the transmission gear ratios.  I can still pull a long time in each gear but with stock gearing it took longer to get to the 'sweet spot' (5k and above).

I'm thinking about it come New Chain Time.  My thinking is that I can't redline 6 anyways, so I'm not going to lose top end speed (and really, given I can do 220kph on mine, I'm not really worried about that) and may even gain some.  With the longer swingarm, I don't have the unicycle issues that plague MT09's and would actually kinda like a little more of that.  A bit more *grumph* would be welcome.  

Any noticable impact on fuel economy?  I shouldn't think it would matter much, you're just looking at 220rpm@120kph in 6th.  

I'm long from *needing* either a chain or sprockets, but changing these is one of my favourite things to do.  I love me a nice, plated chain, and replacement sprockets can be so nice looking too.  The stock chain is so dull and blech.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Any noticable impact on fuel economy?  I shouldn't think it would matter much, you're just looking at 220rpm@120kph in 6th.

Depending on how I ride, I  averaged around 44mpg through 2 tanks of gas yesterday, some mountain and canyon shenanigans and highway cruising @75-80mph.  On the highway 70mph is indicated @5000 rpm and 80mph is around 5600 rpm.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, texscottyd said:

I got a little over 17k miles out of my OEM chain, but I honestly waited way too long to replace it.  In reality, it was done around 15k miles.  

The DID VX chain I put on feels much more substantial, so we’ll see how this one wears.   

My sentiments exactly.  Just changed mine yesterday at 17.5K but it should have been changed a couple thousand miles. 

Replaced with DID VX. 

• Thumbsup 1

My bike doesn't have quite 5K on it and the chain looks awful between some "kinks" and like other stated, losing o-rings. What a piece of junk and the dealer promised me a new one under warranty but never came thru.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, fred99 said:

My bike doesn't have quite 5K on it and the chain looks awful between some "kinks" and like other stated, losing o-rings. What a piece of junk and the dealer promised me a new one under warranty but never came thru.

I have never heard of a chain being toast in under 5k miles and have never lost or ruined any O-Rings on my street or dirt bikes. 

How do you maintain the chain? because like most on here have posted, 'average' life from a chain, even the oem chain is around 17k-18k miles.

This is the first chain I've ever had act up in such short miles either so not sure what's up with that. I clean and lube regularly just like I always have in the past. Warranty expired now and the dealer has been closed for over a month so I guess I'm SOL. Won't be dealing that dealer anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...