OEM Chain Poor Quality??

So what I thought was a rumbling from my tires I think is actually my chain.
I swapped new tires last night and when I'm cruising in 6th gear I'm getting a growing rumble in my pegs,  not engine related (clutch disengaged, no rumble) this was present before the new tires.
The chain itself looks fine but boy is it tight off the wheel.  Almost the entire chain can easily hold it's shape when bent out of straight.

Frankly I don't remember the last time I changed a bike chain so I don't remember how a new chain feels.
Anyone comment?

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

So what I thought was a rumbling from my tires I think is actually my chain.
I swapped new tires last night and when I'm cruising in 6th gear I'm getting a growing rumble in my pegs,  not engine related (clutch disengaged, no rumble) this was present before the new tires.
The chain itself looks fine but boy is it tight off the wheel.  Almost the entire chain can easily hold it's shape when bent out of straight.

Frankly I don't remember the last time I changed a bike chain so I don't remember how a new chain feels.
Anyone comment?

Put it up on the center stand and from the bottom, press up on the center of the chain, now rotate the wheel a little bit and do the same and repeat.  Is it tighter or looser in spots?  My chain developed tight spots, if I set tension correct in one spot, a different section was as tight as a guitar string, and while riding the drive felt horrible, slapping and bouncing. - Time for a new chain.

A new chain feels almost as smooth as new tires.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I get that, that's decent, but with the chain off the bike, how flexible should be links be?

They should be fairly flexible, not wobbly loose and not kinked tight.  You should be able to move each link by hand.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 5 months later...

I encountered the same issue on mine (2019 Tracer 900 non-gt) at 10,000 kms (6,213 miles). Can I just replace the chain if my sprockets are still okay? or do you recommend to change all?

I'd say at 6k miles the rear sprocket is deffinately fine. Front is suspect.

Best test of sprockets is wrap the new chain around them and try to pull chain off. If you can see 1/4 of a tooth under the chain get a new sprocket.

I just found a new Sunstar front sprocket on Ebay for $13 delivered. It was so cheap because the packaging was damaged.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have always found that replacing the chain and both sprockets (or at least the rear sprocket) at the same time is a good idea. It does run the cost up a bit, but these are consumables. The bike always runs much better when they are new. I have replaced the chain and left the sprockets alone, but the life of the new chain always seems to be much less then when I change them along with new sprockets too. As always, YMMV! 

I'm about to do the same service to my bike and I'll be replacing all three.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I'd say at 6k miles the rear sprocket is deffinately fine. Front is suspect.

Best test of sprockets is wrap the new chain around them and try to pull chain off. If you can see 1/4 of a tooth under the chain get a new sprocket.

I just found a new Sunstar front sprocket on Ebay for $13 delivered. It was so cheap because the packaging was damaged.

If I'm correct that procedure is used to test the condition of the chain. 

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, DavidS said:

I have always found that replacing the chain and both sprockets (or at least the rear sprocket) at the same time is a good idea.

Like so many things in life, we have to look out for "Always" do this, or "Never" do that. It depends.

In this case, it depends on the condition of the sprockets, and Canyon Chasers says if you replace a worn chain soon enough you can get 2 sprockets to one chain. If you wait, you can't.  A lot of people have come to the conclusion that name brand chains on OEM motorcycles are not the same quality as that same brand chain aftermarket. At least you get to choose the best DID chain or whatever if you buy aftermarket.

This is a really good video and article:

new-chain-600x315.png

How do you know when your chain needs to be replaced? Go to your rear...

In my experience, and most write ups, the front sprocket will get worn out first. I will purchase a new front sprocket when I buy the chain - then I can really compare the old sprocket to what it should look like when new. If it is starting to show wear, any slight signs of "hooking" (the middle photo below shows beginning of roundish indentations from where the rollers make contact) then I replace it with the new one. If the sprocket looks fantastic then it stays on the bike.

That decision can be made on the rear before you pull the chain, much easier to see what is going on.

Worn-front-sprocket.jpg.f505ce9813ecce51407b6f9abe76d921.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thanks 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

28 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I have always found that replacing the chain and both sprockets (or at least the rear sprocket)

Of the 2 sprockets the front will always show the earliest/most wear. Unless you use an all aluminum rear sprocket, something you will only do once.

I've used rear sprockets for 2 chains before. 40k miles.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

Looking for your thoughts here, but my 2015 a few months ago, very nice condition but a little rust here in there which I’m getting cleaned up however I noticed today there was a little bit of rust on the chain.. any major concerns driving it for the season or do you guys recommend I replace it ASAP? 

3 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Looking for your thoughts here, but my 2015 a few months ago, very nice condition but a little rust here in there which I’m getting cleaned up however I noticed today there was a little bit of rust on the chain.. any major concerns driving it for the season or do you guys recommend I replace it ASAP? 

No just go out for a short ride if possible. This will warm the chain. Pull up at the house and put bike on center stand. Turn the rear tire "BY HAND"! and spray on your chain lube. Let the bike sit a few hours or until the next time you're ready to ride. Check the chain to see if you need a rag to wipe off the excess chain lube. Now adjust your chain while it's nice and pliable so you get a good gauge of the tightness. A little rust on the chain happens if a bike sits up for a while, out in the weather or ridden for a bit without lubing it. It's not the death nail for a little rust. It's ok.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!