McCruise / Blipper QS Interaction

• Premium Member

Due to my arthritis worsening in my hands, particularly my left index finger's big knuckle and a bit in the one below it, I've been looking into an up /down quick shifter auto-blipper for my 15 FJ.  Woolich's system will require their flash (I have Dave's Vcyclenuts Flashtune flash), so through him, with a $100 credit, it'd be $630 (ouch but not terrible). In looking into the Translogic QS/Blipper which is stand-alone with 2 separate ECU but no re-flash necessary (about the same $ as the Woolich with the 100 off), I spoke to a reseller (Mark Harper at HHR Performance, great guy!) about the UK Translogic and another Italian system he carries.  I mentioned to him of course our application and that I had a McCruise intalled.  Mark said he'd check with Translogic about availability and interaction with the McCruise, and thought he might be able to do a bit better on the price.  So I emailed the McCruise website and install instructions to Mark.  Given Translogic is in GB, I was amazed when Mark emailed me back the same day.  The following was Translogic's reply. 

"Mark, our Blip Assist product absolutely must not be used with the ‘cruise control’ device your customer has already installed.

I’m so sorry but we must decline this opportunity and please ensure the customer receives this information, there may be some dealers out there that will just want to sell a product and make a buck, or try to make a ‘work around’ to get a product sold. 

Thanks Mark, sorry it’s not better news for your customer.

I think it would be best to reach out to the company who makes the cruise control and ask them if they work with or know of a company who has tested their cruise control with their system.

The Last thing you need is to get into a situation where you lose control of your bike and injure yourself"

So, anyone know of a QS/AB that'll work with a McCruise?  I need to contact them anyway cuz I owe them the details of my alternate mounting of there Slim Switch.

BTW, Spring has sprung here, 2 inches of rain here in 18 hours, and 70s are forecast...

• Supporting Member

@2and3cylinders - Thanks for sharing that info.  I have been contemplating a QS myself and like you, I also want the Blip.  Looking as some of the install videos or instruction sheets, they seem to want to tap into wiring of the ECU or coil plugs, - just like the MCCruise, so I can see that there could be some conflict.  I don't know of any other solution but I'm definitely NOT going to give up the CC.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Ditto, CC is a must.  Throttle locks (TL) don't cut it though if I didn't have the OEM heated grips which preclude running an NEP TL, I'd keep one on the throttle tube just for quick mirror adjustments, etc...

image.jpeg.a0ea0101824a020831d373070c3c0a1c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Ditto, CC is a must.  Throttle locks (TL) don't cut it though if I didn't have the OEM heated grips which preclude running an NEP TL, I'd keep one on the throttle tube just for quick mirror adjustments, etc...

image.jpeg.a0ea0101824a020831d373070c3c0a1c.jpeg

I haven't seen one of those throttle lock in year. Wish I could find one for my KLR.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

Heehee, I have a stash of them.  Two versions

ZZ50770_a_V1.jpg

• Easy installation<p />• Wrench and easy to follow instructions included<p...
oep1912144_f9784c9763e0a57c2976b4c59eff7

Find the Sound Off Recreational Vista Cruise for Dual Throttle - MCVICO-P...

*scratching head* I can sell a quick shifter (up only) that won't interfere with the CC, but I can't help you with the auto-blipper.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

I wanted a qs/autoblipper when I did my flash as I fell in love with the setup on the S1000XR I rented in Croatia (always thought of the FJ as the poor mans version of that bike).  I emailed 2WDW about adding it and I would like to share their reply.

Autoblippers simply aren't a good idea on these bikes, which is why they are not available through FTECU (the tuning software we use for these bikes). They CAN be installed through the Woolich Racing software, but we do NOT recommend it. The transmission simply can't handle the extra abuse long term, and we have seen several fail catastrophically when FTECU was originally trying to develop the Autoblipper technology for these specific models.

-2WDW

I decided to just skip it due to this advice.  I know some people are using them successfully but I plan on having this bike for a while and don't want any avoidable reliability issues.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Interesting but while I know the CP3 engine / transmission is not designed for the power and abuse a R1 can mete out, are the two designs really that different?  Maybe the testers were abusive, on purpose.  Woolrich makes one, as do others as I mentioned. The point of this thread is that if you did want to go to the expense and now apparently trade of longevity, according to Translogic at least (I will also check with Woolrich), you simply can't (or shouldn't) with a McCruise installed.

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Dirty Randy said:

is the McCruise the $500 one sold on a sketchy website?  I seem to remember looking into this at one point.

No.  The MCCruise is sold on the MCCruise website. 

They are one of the more helpful and reputable vendors out there.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***