GT swing arm

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, Torinreality said:

I've used a set of these...I agree, no index mark. Easily resolved with a punch/file. Or even a silver Sharpie.

I thought about that but wanted it to be 100% perfectly aligned.  I ended giving them away on here where a machinist cut an alignment mark.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 5/2/2020 at 3:20 PM, Torinreality said:

I've used a set of these...I agree, no index mark. Easily resolved with a punch/file. Or even a silver Sharpie.

Hi what was the fit like? And was that on the GT?

regards graham 

• 2 weeks later...

I always use two long pieces of extrusion. Clamp to rear tyre/wheel, measure gap on each side of the front rim. Never even looked at s/a markings on any of my bikes. When you adjust chain, just be careful to move each adjuster screw the same amount. Easy. You'll never look  back if you can get your hands on said straight edges.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Manxkiwi said:

I always use two long pieces of extrusion. Clamp to rear tyre/wheel, measure gap on each side of the front rim. Never even looked at s/a markings on any of my bikes. When you adjust chain, just be careful to move each adjuster screw the same amount. Easy. You'll never look  back if you can get your hands on said straight edges.

Do you have any photos or diagrams for reference to the method that you use?  I am always open to new methods if it is more effective and it might be beneficial to a lot of other members on this site.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here are some low res pics to illustrate my setup (sorry no pics on bike - yet). The threaded rod with the piece of hose on it goes through the rear wheel, resting on the bottom inside of the rim (hence the hose, to protect the rim). The extrusions extend to the front, you have to raise them a little (I use a piece of wood). I then measure with a steel rule from the straight edge to the front rim. Get the fore and aft rim dimensions the same on one side (by moving the 'bars), then compare to the other side. Length shown with tape is pretty much minimum. If you're going to get/buy some straight edges, get them at least this long or longer.

This is an adaptation of the old string method, which has been around for years. This, I think is far superior, if you can get the bits. There is a caveat: I'm pretty sure you can't do this on the center stand, you need to be on a paddock stand, to clear the extrusions.

I'll try to get some pics of the setup on the bike at some point, but hopefully it's fairly clear what to do?

Hope this helps, Cheers.

P1010224.JPG

P1010225.JPG

P1010226.JPG

• Thanks 1