Foggy Visor Advice

racreative

• Premium Member

Went for a ride last weekend to Huntington Beach and rode up PCH to Seal Beach. Ran into a little fog on the ride up the coast. My face-shield acted like a magnet and attracted the moister in the air. Even at 55mph + the moister was having trouble running off my helmet. This also caused my breathing to steam up the inside glass. Anyone have good advice for riding in rain, fog etc.? I have tried rainX. It does help to some degree, however only on the exterior, used shaving cream on the inside of visor and anti fog products. None of them truly work well. I typically ride with my helmet cracked to allow more air to flow which does help some with the fogging. Just asking the community if you have any suggestions or tricks that work. Was even considering buying a snowmobile helmet, they are made for riding in these types of scenarios.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

Have you looked to see if Pinlock do an insert for your helmet? 

I am looking now. That is a great suggestion! Thank you. Feel kind of silly asking now. Most of my riding has always been in hot dry climates. Thank you very much! 

@racreative no worries, you are welcome.

The Pinlock inserts work perfectly so long as you install them correctly/ carefully. I've ALWAYS used them on all of my helmets, but of course I'm in the UK so spend most of my time in damp/ foggy/ wet conditions! 🙂 

Cheers

Steve

Edited by bowlin01
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

Have you looked to see if Pinlock do an insert for your helmet? 

I have one for my GT-Air but I haven't installed it.  How is the clarity?  I'm concerned that adding another layer to the screen will affect optical quality.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

+1 on the pinlock, had a miserable scary day years ago on a rainy stormy Ireland tour when My visor kept misting up. Changed My helmet the day after we came back for one with a pinlock. Never had an issue with misting since then.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have one for my GT-Air but I haven't installed it.  How is the clarity?  I'm concerned that adding another layer to the screen will affect optical quality.

I am also curios about the clarity. I where glasses too, so This would be 3 layers of plexi. If they are easy enough to install, I might keep the pinlock in my visor bag and only use it when the conditions require.

Clarity is perfect I have had no issues with visibility with both helmets I use with a pin lock even with glasses on and the drop down sun visor being used. As bowlin said above it must be carefully fitted and uses very small fittings I wouldn't want to try to fit one at the roadside and in the rain.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, betoney said:

I've used the pinlock insert on my Shoei RF1200 for several years, and think it's fantastic.   I'm really picky about optics, and have had zero complaints...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

If pinlock isn't an option, I've had decent luck with the Invision insert (formerly Fog City). It cuts down fogging 80-90%. 

Does your helmet have a chin curtain? My current helmet had one and fogging was absolutely terrible. I removed the chin curtain and that also reduced fogging considerably. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, keithu said:

If pinlock isn't an option, I've had decent luck with the Invision insert (formerly Fog City). It cuts down fogging 80-90%. 

Does your helmet have a chin curtain? My current helmet had one and fogging was absolutely terrible. I removed the chin curtain and that also reduced fogging considerably. 

Unfortunately, after researching my helmet and new visors, I discovered my current helmet is not pinlock compatible. I do have a chin skirt, I will remove it and see if it helps any. Also will look into the Invision insert option. Thank you for the advise!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, racreative said:

Went for a ride last weekend to Huntington Beach and rode up PCH to Seal Beach. Ran into a little fog on the ride up the coast.

A bit off-topic, but that brings back some memories.  I went to high school at Los Alamitos, and the Seal Beach - Bolsa Chica - Huntington area was a popular hangout.  Many good times on my CB400F and GPz550 along PCH.   

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, racreative said:

Went for a ride last weekend to Huntington Beach and rode up PCH to Seal Beach. Ran into a little fog on the ride up the coast. My face-shield acted like a magnet and attracted the moister in the air. Even at 55mph + the moister was having trouble running off my helmet. This also caused my breathing to steam up the inside glass. Anyone have good advice for riding in rain, fog etc.? I have tried rainX. It does help to some degree, however only on the exterior, used shaving cream on the inside of visor and anti fog products. None of them truly work well. I typically ride with my helmet cracked to allow more air to flow which does help some with the fogging. Just asking the community if you have any suggestions or tricks that work. Was even considering buying a snowmobile helmet, they are made for riding in these types of scenarios.

Rain X also do a an anti misting solution as well

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

A bit off-topic, but that brings back some memories.  I went to high school at Los Alamitos, and the Seal Beach - Bolsa Chica - Huntington area was a popular hangout.  Many good times on my CB400F and GPz550 along PCH.   

I agree a great stretch on the CA Coast. We first went to the Wedge on Balboa Peninsula. Beach was closed, so we headed north. Huntington and Sunset were both open. I bet that was a great area to go to Highschool. I was closer to Oceanside, so my childhood was spent at South Jetty and Carlsbad. 

Would never know there was a pandemic, in Huntington. looked like spring break (except all the parking lots were roped off - no parking). I saw only a few people wearing masks and nobody was practicing social distancing. Brought me back to the "good ol' days" way back in 2019". I think they just closed all the OC beaches this week. However, SD is still open. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betoney said:

Clarity is excellent, no worries there at all.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)