Foggy Visor Advice

racreative

• Supporting Member

My RPHA70 came with a pinlock... did no good as my glassess fogged up. I removed the breath deflector thingy and just crack my visor and/or fore vent open. Not ideal... but acceptable in most conditions. Only really an issue closer to freezing OA temps.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

My RPHA70 came with a pinlock... did no good as my glassess fogged up. I removed the breath deflector thingy and just crack my visor and/or fore vent open. Not ideal... but acceptable in most conditions. Only really an issue closer to freezing OA temps.

Perhaps contact lenses when riding would help?

Cheers

Steve

• Premium Member
On 5/1/2020 at 2:19 PM, texscottyd said:

A bit off-topic, but that brings back some memories.  I went to high school at Los Alamitos, and the Seal Beach - Bolsa Chica - Huntington area was a popular hangout.  Many good times on my CB400F and GPz550 along PCH.   

I remember still with sheer terror storming down the Waldo Grade (+5% I think on 101/1 from Marin into SF) on my 61BSA Goldstar 500 single (that I cafe'd out of course) in pea soup fog so thick I couldn't see my hands through the dripping visor of my Shoei full face (the first model they imported into the U.S. in 72).  I was going full blast, as I figured I preferred that to getting rear ended.  I knew I was crossing the Golden Gate as it flattened out and by the smell and breeze temperature, and as I did I yelled at the top of my lungs, Banzai!!! Banzai!

Obviously I lived to tell about, as I did running out of gas inbound (upper deck) on the Bay Bridge, which enabled me to get some cool shots with my Leica 3f while I waited for the emergency truck but that's another story.  That year in SF was insane, it made me move down to San Diego.  We had the Zodiac Killer (think first Dirty Harry movie though they never caught the real one)), the Zebra Killers, the Symbionese Liberation Army shootout in Oakland, Patty Hearst and the Food For Needy program, it rained like 65 days straight (the old red rubber coated interior green cotton two piece rainsuits didn't cut it), and they were still digging the coffer dams for the shafts down to the tunnels being bored for the BART subway.  Ever turn a corner on to block covered end to end, curb to curb with smooth steel plates in the rain on two wheels?

I also remember my 1981 GpZ550D1, the original GpZ, twin shocks, before their 82 Uni-Trac.  Great bike!

FogTech I've found to be the best shield and eyeglasses treatment as far as longevity, it's a bit tricky to apply till you get the hang of it (to minimize rainbow effect) and it's pricey.

• Like 3

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I remember still with sheer terror storming down the Waldo Grade (+5% I think on 101/1 from Marin into SF) on my 61BSA Goldstar 500 single (that I cafe'd out of course) in pea soup fog so thick I couldn't see my hands through the dripping visor of my Shoei full face (the first model they imported into the U.S. in 72).  I was going full blast, as I figured I preferred that to getting rear ended.  I knew I was crossing the Golden Gate as it flattened out and by the smell and breeze temperature, and as I did I yelled at the top of my lungs, Banzai!!! Banzai!

Motorcycle memories that will last a lifetime!  Live for the adventure 😎👍

• Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Motorcycle memories that will last a lifetime!  Live for the adventure 😎👍

Not necessary, though my long-term memory is better than my short term.  I can't remember anything longer than 2 minutes, often less. 

CTE induced per She Who Must Be Obeyed.  I especially hate it when I put down a part or tool, and then can't find it...

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Not necessary, though my long-term memory is better than my short term.  I can't remember anything longer than 2 minutes, often less. 

CTE induced per She Who Must Be Obeyed.  I especially hate it when I put down a part or tool, and then can't find it...

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

All my tools - especially my electric drill - have legs, and move elsewhere when I put them down part-way through a job.   I'll be working - let's say - in the garage, put down the drill (or hammer or rule or screwdriver) while using another tool - and then have get get up and find the first tool in the garden, or bathroom, or whatever.   I swear this house is spooked!!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yeah, to avoid fogging, you really need dual pane visors.  Either via Pinlock, if there's a compatible shield for your helmet, or simply a dual pane visor entirely.

I'll never go back to single pane; fogging is a nuisance and I'm literally unable to fog my visor now.  All the additives and such are pretty half-assed solutions at best, and basically nothing like that helps if you're riding in the rain.  

As for clarity, for Pinlock as long as you follow the directions when you set it up - specifically, MAKE SURE the inside faces of the visor are absolutely clean - then you're golden.  Couple riding buddies swear by them.  Me, I just buy helmets that either come with, or have dual pane visors as options.  My current helmet (GMax MD01) actually has an electric dual pane visor as an option, which is dual pane with heat, so it functions like a car defroster as well ensuring the visor cannot ice up and keeping your face warm.  

I've never had an issue with optical clarity.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, wordsmith said:

All my tools - especially my electric drill - have legs, and move elsewhere when I put them down part-way through a job.   I'll be working - let's say - in the garage, put down the drill (or hammer or rule or screwdriver) while using another tool - and then have get get up and find the first tool in the garden, or bathroom, or whatever.   I swear this house is spooked!!

That's why I have 3 drills and redundant tools

LOL

Also have a dual pane shield  for  my  ancient HJC Symax I only use for sledding

The Pinloacks and Fogtech for my glasses works well enough 

• Thumbsup 1

My Shoei came with pinlock and a fog insert.  Works perfect, no optical issues unless wearing polarized sunglasses.  Lots of rainbows.  That was an easy fix though.

• Thumbsup 1