OBDII help! Speed sensor?

Hi all,

Recently a check engine light came on.  It also disable my ABS and TC.  I cleared the code once, and now my speedometer is off and all the lights are back on.  Attached is a photo of the OBDII reading. 

At first I thought maybe it was the ABS sensor on the front wheel, but others have suggested that it may be the speed sensor in the transmission?

Cheers 

unnamed.jpg

• Supporting Member

Hi @Dirty Randy - I’m pretty sure that the speedometer reads off the front wheel sensor on the FJ...  the same one that controls the ABS/TCS (which would explain the warning lights).   Have you had the front wheel off recently, or removed & reseated the sensor?  They’re pretty easy to damage, and I’ve heard several situations where the sensor didn’t re-seat correctly after being removed.   

If memory serves, the non-ABS FZ9 has a transmission-based speed sensor, but the FJ/Tracer all use that front wheel ABS sensor.  

• Thumbsup 1

P2158 is definitely for the Front Speed sensor. Remove it from the housing and check for debris on the tip. Next, check that the bracket that the sensor mounts to isn’t tweaked. Often it will become out of square with the sensor due to someone not inserting it properly into the housing (use a gentle twisting motion while pushing it in) and then tightening down the bolt, which then bends the mount. Also make sure the encoder wheel doesn’t have any debris in the teeth, that a rock didn’t bend a “tooth” and that the axle is inserted and secured to the fork leg correctly, and that the mount for the sensor is around the “pin” on the Rh fork tube. 

-Skip

05/06/20 update 

Installed a new sensor, very easy to do!  The check engine light is now off and so is the TC light.  HOWEVER the ABS light is still on without the check engine light and the speedo is wildly off.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dirty Randy said:

05/06/20 update 

Installed a new sensor, very easy to do!  The check engine light is now off and so is the TC light.  HOWEVER the ABS light is still on without the check engine light and the speedo is wildly off.

ABS light will remain illuminated after starting the bike until the motorcycle is traveling at a certain speed (can't remember if its 5mph or 10mph).  This isn't what your experiencing is it?

I assume you have taken the bike out and got it up to speed since you are stating thst the speedo is wrong... in that case I'm not sure. Great input, I know....

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

14 hours ago, Dirty Randy said:

05/06/20 update 

Did you take the bike for a test ride? 
do that, shut the bike off, then plug in and clear the stored code again. Cycle key a second time, and take a second test ride. Let us know what happens after you try the above steps.

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Dirty Randy said:

05/06/20 update 

If the sensor was damaged, could it have possibly damaged the speed ring?  Rotate the wheels (both front and rear) slowly and check every tooth of each ring and make sure that they aren't bent, missing or deformed.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, Dirty Randy said:

Everything is working now. Speedo is very close to GPS, all three lights (ABS TC and Check Engine) are off.  Life is good.

What was the solution?  Last time you posted the ABS light was on and the speedo was malfunctioning.

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Dirty Randy said:

Unplugged the battery completely.

Cool!  Glad to hear it is all fixed and working properly for you now.  Time to ride.👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...