Sign in to follow this  
wordsmith

LOWERING SOLUTIONS FOR 2020 GT

23 hours ago, wordsmith said:

So my Yamaha days are now sadly over, after having owned several machines of the brand over the years, from the learner SV250 to the mighty 1670cc MT-01 - which started-off this whole MT business.   

i've got one of those MT-01's as my second bike...love that thing

20191008_072050 (1).jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Here's a pic from fifteen years ago - and where did they all go to? - of me and the mighty Yamaha MT-01.   The fuel can fastened on the back of the bike is my response to a claim from a fellow Club member that at warp speed the MT-01 could just about make it between fuel stations!   15L tank an' all, IIRC!

MB74 001.jpg

MB75 001.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Wordsmith - a 1939 model.   Previously owned a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, Midnight Black.   Since January 2020 - a BMW R9T Roadster.   Happily living near the sea in Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Australia.

Posted (edited)

Looking into alternatives to the Tracer family that may suit me, I see that both BMW and Triumph have new-ish models in that sport-touring category, both of 900cc.   The BMW is a twin and Triumph a triple, and both have low suspension options available to suit people like me - Yamaha does not. 

And they appear to be real lowering options involving suspension changes, not merely a low seat.   I'll be looking at both tomorrow, with a view to arranging test-rides on each next week.   Website reviews on both make for interesting reading, with the usual and highly necessary sack of salt to be taken, but we shall see!   Pricing appears similar, and both have a long list of options (at extra cost of course).   

But (sob!) when all is said and done the out-of-the-box Tracer 900 GT remains IMHO an outstanding package at an exceptional price.

Edited by wordsmith

Wordsmith - a 1939 model.   Previously owned a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, Midnight Black.   Since January 2020 - a BMW R9T Roadster.   Happily living near the sea in Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Australia.

Possibly it’s time to look into a trike? When it’s hard to get on or off a bike then maybe a lower bike isn’t the answer, safety for yourself and others should be of concern. My father is 88 and still has a mind of a 50 year old but his body shows its age. Reactions are too slow to ride and too slow to drive, it’s a shame but it’s just the way it is. He decided when he got his first ticket ever for running a stop sign at 80 that his driving would be limited, now it’s non existent. I hope no matter what you stay safe but also keep everyone in your path safe as well

• Thumbsup 1

I very nearly bought a Tiger 800 Xrx low after sitting on it, much lower than the Tracer. I'm 30 minutes from my Yamaha dealer, 9 hours from the Triumph dealer. That was the deciding factor. Good luck Wordsmith!

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Toddtr said:

My father is 88 and still has a mind of a 50 year old ...

I had the mind of an 88-yo when 50!   Less flippantly - I had a test ride late last year on a Can-Am Spyder S3 - hated it!   I'd agree with anyone who says it take a deal of getting used to after being a bike-rider, but... I just couldn't continue down that path, tho' I rather liked the general look and styling of the Spyder.   Very few are seen around here, and dealer support seems sketchy .

Thanks for your wishes.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, johnnyparts said:

Hi Wordsmith. I put the lowering links and the lower seat on, so I can flat foot now. I'm 61 and never got the "growth Spurt" that I was promised in my teens, so I have a pretty short reach. I haven't dropped the forks yet but am going to go a half inch lower with them too. Something I don't like much, to get the bike on the main stand is harder now, the angle changed a bit. I grab the sidecase mount to lift it and helps. The lower seat is still fairly comfy, put 5000k on the bike from new last year, over 4000 of that with lower seat, didn't die. Hope this helps!

Just a heads up, I have fitted a lowering kit ( not the Yamaha one that looks cheap and is not very low) but the Lust Racing one ,great quality and 5mm lower than the Yamaha one ( I know 5mm is not very much .... but every bit counts , ) I dropped my forks 8mm and it is spot on. Only problem is a little spirited riding ( with a Pillion on the back ) and the centre stand grinds out on corners, but ok if riding normal. 

Cheers Edgar Jessop 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Edgar.    The LUST links drop the bike by 20mm according to their website, which is decent amount, and the extra 8mm or so from the front would help.   However, I've decided not to continue on this path, which disappoints me but may be realistic given the alternatives and necessary compromises.   Pity, 'coz I think I enjoyed my Tracer GT as much as any other bike I've owned (which is far too many!).   

My current BMW R9T has a seat height of only 805mm, and there is no 'hump' between it and the front of the pillion seat - it's all pretty flat, with a slight uphill slope, and so doesn't impede in any way, and I can get on and off with great ease.   Just gotta sort out a couple of minor issues and I think it may be problem solved on what is, after all, a great and great-looking machine.   A tip here to all - do not get old!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

My current BMW R9T has a seat height of only 805mm, Just gotta sort out a couple of minor issues and I think it may be problem solved on what is, after all, a great and great-looking machine.   A tip here to all - do not get old!

2nd tip.  If your R9T only has a few minor issues, (other bikes should be so lucky) - keep it and ride the wheels off of it! 

I have never ridden one bit it IS a great looking machine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Posted (edited)

Thanks, betoney.   The 'cuppla minor issues' relate to the low-wrist riding position, which I believe I can address by new 'bars (I have Helibar risers already fitted).   By happenstance the new BMW 900XR has somewhat taller 'bars suited to its touring pretensions that just may suit.   May need longer lines (or maybe also off the XR) but I'm off to the local dealer  tomorrow to suss it out, having already chatted to the chief mechanic there about it.   

I also need to finesse the gear-change lever: foot-peg relationship as it's still not 100% comfortable after fitting the KD foot-peg lowering kit.   I like to be able to just swivel my left foot across to change gears rather than having to raise the foot - I haven't quite got there yet, but today's outing has identified the tiny adjustment of the gear-lever on the splines that's needed.   A ten minute job.   I may also try removing the gear-change lever extender that I fitted to see if that opens things up a little - a 30-second job!

Finally, I'll ask my suspension guru to soften-up the OHLINS on the bike, as it was probably set-up for the rather hefty (judging by his photographs) previous owner, while I'm a fairly light ~85kg all-up-in-ATTGAT rider.

If I then decide that the R9 is a keeper, maybe a single-pipe BOS (from Holland) zorst may be considered, for I do not care much for the twin Akra pipes despite the lovely sound they make: and a rear luggage rack so that I may be able to carry enough for a few days away on the bike.   I'm not gonna say that's all, folks!    

P1060750.JPGTaper-lower-300x217.jpg

Edited by wordsmith
  • Like 1

@wordsmith - Good luck getting the ergonomics sorted.  Since the previous owner was a fair bit larger than you, don't be surprised if the suspension technician suggests getting lighter springs to match your weight.

There's no better feeling than when you get the bike adjusted and fitted for YOU and everything is 100% correct and comfortable.😎👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - Good luck getting the ergonomics sorted.  Since the previous owner was a fair bit larger than you, don't be surprised if the suspension technician suggests getting lighter springs to match your weight.

There's no better feeling than when you get the bike adjusted and fitted for YOU and everything is 100% correct and comfortable.😎👍

I agree 100%.   Having the K Tech conversions on my late Tracer Gt was a revelation - transformed the bike, its comfort, and my enjoyment of it.

• Thumbsup 1