rear luggage/ carry rack for GT

Thanks, Kevin - some good insights and pix there!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:09 AM, Kevin R said:

I put an Adventure Rack from SW Motech on my '19. It fit perfectly and holds the Givi trunk from my previous bike. Bought it several weeks ago (on sale!) and have logged several hundred miles with it thus far. I am very happy with it and can share a couple of observations about it if you plan to ride with a passenger:

1. There is not much extra space between the rear of the passenger seat and the rack (it keeps whatever payload you carry from hanging off the back of the bike - less wheelie potential!). There are two options for where the plate mounts to the tubing and I used the one that is furthest back since I do ride with my wife occasionally. She is slim and has enough room but others may find that the rack places a trunk a little too close for optimum comfort. If I had a nitpick, I would advise SW Motech to give a smidge more room back there, maybe another centimeter or two.
  2. The tubing on the rack (which replaces the OEM grab rails) also does not leave much extra room for the passenger's hips if riding 2-up. Again, my wife is slim and fits okay for 2-3hr rides but for really long days on the bike the rack's grab rails put too much unwanted pressure on my wife's hips. Another 2-3 centimeters between the two rails would be better. We're actually looking to add a seat pad to elevate her a little to clear the grab rails (looking at an Airhawk).

I think there are photos on the forum showing the rack, and you can kind of see how it's situated in my avatar photo. If you'd like to see more, just let know and I can post a couple.

Cheers!

Any issues riding at speed and weight capacity? The site says that the limit is 22 lbs and that you can’t ride past 130kph 😅 I’m deciding if I should get this or the Givi one. 

0A30240E-35BC-4D12-B652-E6AA364CA487.png

0987B6C1-30D5-4DAC-9404-A09DD6C21447.jpeg

On 5/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, keithu said:

Yes, in fact I ordered some trim material to fill the grooves from 80/20 with the other materials. I think you can see it in this photo. 

Honestly, I think most people would be better off with something like the SW-Motech solution that Wordsmith mentioned. My rack is very strong, which I needed for my aux fuel tank, but it also blocks part of the pillion seat. I think it would be difficult to make a rack like mine that is also comfortable for a passenger.  

DSCF8907.JPG

Good lord! 

I take my hat off to you, sir; this is an amazing, insane contraption and you win the forums today :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Decided to go with the SW Motech as it has a cleaner look than the Givi mount. Quite happy with the quality. Will purchase the Givi adapter next and save up for a 30L Trekker top case. Hopefully it will be sturdy enough in the long run.

104458327_269510027487791_2444610673603954911_n.jpg

104911093_2724300697853648_5184505572662254756_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...