What tools do you consistently carry on your bike?

11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I mean, really, now, I don't need the toolkit.  I'm rarely outside of cell coverage, and I can afford a tow.  My bike's well maintained and new.  But old habits die hard, and it's handy to be That Guy on the bike trip who can actually fix shit, as if it's not you, it's probably not going to be any of them either.  And if nobody can fix things, trips can get screwed up pretty fast.

This right here! I ride with 3 other guys pretty regularly. We have done some long trips. One of them is really anal about maintenance, like me, but the other two are not. One of them has had crap break on is bike every trip for the last 3 years. That is the main reason why I carry a tool kit anymore. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

From my perspective, I've ridden exclusively 30 year old or older bikes for 25 years of my riding history, and frankly shit breaks/falls off regularly on those.  Calling for a tow always cost more than I could afford, so that wasn't an option either.  I either fixed it/rigged it up to be usable, or walked.  So, it's sort of a habit.  

I'm with you. Even on newer bikes there are a lot of things that can be fixed on the road. Minor crash damage is a common one. Who hasn't dropped a bike - or been on a ride where someone dropped a bike - and some key component like a lever or footpeg broke off? Zip ties, vice grips, and duct tape can make a lot of bikes ride-able so they can get home without a tow.  

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, man.  Needed my toolkit last night!   So, as per my (upcoming) post in the daily do thread, I got my Helibar riser yesterday, and was in the middle of installing it when I found out about a group ride happening out an old highway (1A) to Canmore.  It's just a couple hours, but one of the few genuinely windy roads around here, and I'm not missing out on that opportunity to test the risers with both a decent length ride (for comfort) and twisties (for performance).  Slapped things together quick, and headed out.  

Except... I'd been distracted by fishing out a nut from my old RAM mount that had fallen literally into the frame.  I'd only snugged the front two handlebar clamp bolts, and not even that with the rear two, but forgot to finish that in my haste to meet up with the group.  Crouched over, 120kph in a curve on the bumpy, windy mountain road, when I catch out of the corner of my eye both rearward handlebar clamp bolts literally bouncing, completely loose in their sockets.  

I'm amazed that the handlebars didn't just flop about like that, but I'll take it.  Pull over, out comes the toolkit, bolts all get tightened up, and I'm back on my way.  I'm damn glad I have that toolkit in there.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

Was going thru the supplied tools, nothing fancy except these wire rope, care to share what are the use for as owners manual did not state what are the tools supplied. 

665F5738-46D5-4458-8AB0-2FEFCC3EC9BE.jpeg

On 7/24/2020 at 3:45 AM, WKE002 said:

Was going thru the supplied tools, nothing fancy except these wire rope, care to share what are the use for as owners manual did not state what are the tools supplied. 

665F5738-46D5-4458-8AB0-2FEFCC3EC9BE.jpeg

You’re missing several items, check the underside of your pillion seat for an Allen wrench or 2, and a screwdriver, IIRC. 

-skip

Because I have a phone, GPS, and insurance to cover any towing expenses, I only carry one of these....and whatever bullshit tools are under the seat, which I have no intention of ever using.  I'll change a fuse if I have to, but no way I'm wrenching outside the comfort of my garage.   Lazy?....you betcha! 

S420-6 FIX-A-FLAT

Spending a few hours today checking and cleaning my tracer in preparation  for a weeks touring holiday with my two biking buddys. Cut away a bit of the plastic under the seat to allow this stuff plus a small roll of duct tape and multi tool to live their. Hopefully it all stays there and is never needed.

Toolkit.JPG

@HGP61, have you tried your electric pump? It looks like you’re going to use it in the accessory power socket, which has a small rated fuse. Many people have found it simply blows the fuse.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, BBB said:

have you tried your electric pump?

Found out about the limitations of the accessory socket and its 2amp fuse last summer at our first campsite in Wales. My Friend tried to blow up an air matress and blew the fuse on his GT he then pluged the airbed pump into my bike and blew its 2amp fuse as well. I have a 12 volt socket connected to a couple of alligator clips under the riders seat to connect directly to the battery for emergency  use.

• Thumbsup 2

16 hours ago, BBB said:

have you tried your electric pump? It looks like you’re going to use it in the accessory power socket, which has a small rated fuse. Many people have found it simply blows the fuse

Just a quick "thank you" for your post, You got me thinking and I went to check my "emergency Socket I had made for my last bike and it wasn't under the seat of the Tracer. Will need to fit a couple of alligator clips on to the compressor cable before we head off on Saturday.

Thanks again BBB I had new tyres fitted last week and probably won't need the stuff but like to be prepared.

• Thumbsup 2