• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What tools do you consistently carry on your bike?

18 hours ago, HGP61 said:

plus a small roll of duct tape and multi tool to live their

To fit the Duct Tape in a smaller area, wrap a couple of feet off the roll around a pencil, fits a lot better.

• Thumbsup 2

Now in our country effective 1st aug the MOST important to carry along is face mask, breakdown can call tow truck, caught without a mask on open area, fine usd230 equivalents! 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spare clutch cable (which I had to use this July while out of state on vacation with 45K miles on the bike), tire patch kit, air compressor, duct tape, Aerostich Jumper cables, zip ties, elecrical tape, wrenches for chain adjustment, digital multimeter, basic sockets, allen wrenches, large socket and allen wrench for wheel removal.  Only thing I don't have for wheel removal is a long breaker bar.  All tools fit in a bag about 6"x 8" x 8".  I call it the repair "brick".  I keep it in the bottom of my sidebag.  I figure that anyone that stops to help is not going to have the sockets or allen wrench for the wheels, but they might have or be able to run for a breaker bar.  One of these days I'll figure out a telescoping version of a breaker bar to carry.

Side story:  A number of years ago, (about 50 miles from home)  I bent my rear rim on a pothole while riding my FJR.  NOW WHAT.  Tire wouldn't hold air!.  No cell reception (of course).  I ended up riding "bitch" on the back of my riding buddies bike for 5 miles to my brothers house.  He happened to be washing HIS FJR in his driveway.  We parked his bike in the shed and removed his rear wheel.  He drove me 5 miles back to my bike with his rear wheel (and breaker bar) in hand. Within an hour of my pothole incident I was back on the road heading home on my own bike.  I scored a used wheel on Ebay for $150 bucks and had it at my front door 4 days later.  Worst part of the whole deal was I had to drive the "cage" 100 miles round trip to return my brothers wheel.  Well worth the trip!!! He saved my ass that time!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

I'm planning a two week trip to another country. My bike's is new, has warranty and my insurance covers roadside assistance. So I don't think I'll be packing things like clutch cables etc. If I need assistance, I'll call and wait for help.

But I'm thinking about what to take with me for regular maintenance. Chain cleaner and grease, torque wrench and some common size wrenches for when I need to adjust the chain, visor cleaner for my helmet (gear needs maintenance too...). But is there something I am forgetting?

I would add allen wrenches to fit the various fasteners on the bike - haven't looked closely but 2 or 3 should cover most and a small pair of pliers.   I've had bolts fall out on a long trip and was able to swap a less critical one into its place.  A small voltmeter is also handy to troubleshoot stuff like why isn't this charging.  a few zip ties of various sizes, 2 or 3 bungie cords, a packing strap, Grorilla tape, 3M double sided foam tape, and now face masks, hand sanitizer, pain meds, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, spare batteries for SPOT and visor cleaner.  Tools go under the seat and the other stuff in the tank bag.  Pretty much if it is something I may need quickly or frequently then its in the tank bag.  Otherwise under the seat or a side case.  In addition also carry a small Battery Tender brand usb adapter that plugs into the Battery Tender cord connected to the battery.  A cell phone charger battery is also nice to keep cell charged.  Over 5 two week trips in the last couple of years have used almost everything at some time.  

As for tools I carry, enough to change both wheels - have a long handled 3/8" ratchet which hopefully get the rear wheel loose and then tight enough to get me where I can have it torqued.  A small assortment of sockets, allen wrenches wrenches.  A small air compressor, tire patch kit and CO2 inflation kit.  Not a lot of stuff but enough for minor repairs.  I cary a SPOT and a Garmin inReach mini for communication when out of cell phone coverage and have a couple of towing plans as well.  

Ive talked about it other threads but in late August left on a 6,000 mile 17 day trip on my BMW F800GT.   Had my usual assortment of tools tailored for that bike.  Minor stuff plus enough to change both wheels.  At the end of the second day had a catastrophic failure of a rear wheel bearing.  Yes it failed just after everything closed so I had all night to ponder.  Got up next morning and canceled the rest of my trip :-( ordered a swingarm from eBay and swapped the swingarm in the campground.  Owner was super nice and let me use his shop area.  I did spend $100 on tools at the local Harbor Freight which I gave most of to the campground owner.  Nice to have a few tools but can't have everything.  1/3 of what I spent was for a torque wrench and an inverse Torx socket set in case i had to adjust the belt tension.  My plan is to have enough tools for simple repairs and if major repairs are needed will either have it done or buy the necessary tools.

I travel in remote areas and carry a bit more than if I was in a more densely populated area.

• Supporting Member
58 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

I would add allen wrenches to fit the various fasteners on the bike - haven't looked closely but 2 or 3 should cover most and a small pair of pliers.   I've had bolts fall out on a long trip and was able to swap a less critical one into its place.  A small voltmeter is also handy to troubleshoot stuff like why isn't this charging.  a few zip ties of various sizes, 2 or 3 bungie cords, a packing strap, Grorilla tape, 3M double sided foam tape, and now face masks, hand sanitizer, pain meds, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, spare batteries for SPOT and visor cleaner.  Tools go under the seat and the other stuff in the tank bag.  Pretty much if it is something I may need quickly or frequently then its in the tank bag.  Otherwise under the seat or a side case.  In addition also carry a small Battery Tender brand usb adapter that plugs into the Battery Tender cord connected to the battery.  A cell phone charger battery is also nice to keep cell charged.  Over 5 two week trips in the last couple of years have used almost everything at some time.  

As for tools I carry, enough to change both wheels - have a long handled 3/8" ratchet which hopefully get the rear wheel loose and then tight enough to get me where I can have it torqued.  A small assortment of sockets, allen wrenches wrenches.  A small air compressor, tire patch kit and CO2 inflation kit.  Not a lot of stuff but enough for minor repairs.

Good Lord Man... you forgot to list a full factory support vehicle and 12' enclosed trailer to haul all of your stuff... 😲

In the past 10 years I have ridden just under 100k miles and never had to do a road side repair, I have a screw driver for the suspension and allen keys to adjust the levers but its only been convenience adjustments.  I have a tire plug kit but have never used it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

LOL, actually not a lot of stuff or space.  Over 30,000 miles in the last 2 years I've used most of it at least once but have never had a flat tire - well there was the time the service tech at the dealership pulled a screw out of the rear tire which went flat.  They tried to sell me a new tire - I went by and picked up tire and took it to Cycle Gear and had them mount one of my spares on it.  Int the time I had a couple of Road 5s with 6,000 miles on them.  I've had problems with USB chargers and have spent some time troubleshooting issues with that while on the road.  BMW bars vibrated so much it would destroy any USB charger mounted there in less than a day.  In late August it had a rear wheel bearing fail 1,100 miles from home.  I replaced the swingarm with one from eBay.  Rode it 250 miles and traded it for my Tracer GT.  Had to move all the mounts from the bars on the BMW to the Tracer GT.  Also had to change how I was mounting stuff.  Bought an outlet adapter from AutoZone, crimped terminals and connected my Zumo XT so I could navigate.  I did have to buy some additional tools for the swingarm swap.  Every bike I've owned has had a standard size or two for small fasteners and bolts.   A couple of small wrenches, a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of small sockets are enough.  I also look at what it takes to change wheels and try and include that just in case need a new tire.  On my BMW F800GT it had a couple of side pouches under the seat I could stow the small tools and sockets.  I think the Tracer has similar spots, just need to put stuff in plastic bags for the rain days.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 10/24/2020 at 10:20 PM, betoney said:

Good Lord Man... you forgot to list a full factory support vehicle and 12' enclosed trailer to haul all of your stuff... 😲

In the past 10 years I have ridden just under 100k miles and never had to do a road side repair, I have a screw driver for the suspension and allen keys to adjust the levers but its only been convenience adjustments.  I have a tire plug kit but have never used it.

Betoney - And now you just jinxed it, you are sure to have a breakdown this week. Don't worry, just call me and I'll come pick you up.....

• Haha 2