Lurchy at slow speed

Yamajank

New 2019 tracer gt...only has 300 miles but I'm a little worried about how it feels at 20-35. I can't tell if it's rpms that aren't smooth or if possibly a wheel is out of balance.  Is it just still needing more break in?  How do I determine what it could  be?  Anyone else have it on a new gt?

Do you mean abrupt throttle response, a bit jerky when opening the throttle? That’s a “feature” of the mapping I’m afraid.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

No...while trying to just obey a 30mph speed limit and keep it steady.  I can keep the speedometer at 30, but it doesn't feel like it's smooth.  I can't tell if it's suspension or engine or something else. I get the snatchiness of the throttle and differences of the a, b, and standard.

• Premium Member

What gear? 1st or 2nd gear should be smooth at 30 mph. 5th gear is probably jerky because the revs are too low. Keep the engine speed above 2500 and it should be smooth when the throttle is open and you are varying its position.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

No...while trying to just obey a 30mph speed limit and keep it steady.  I can keep the speedometer at 30, but it doesn't feel like it's smooth.  I can't tell if it's suspension or engine or something else. I get the snatchiness of the throttle and differences of the a, b, and standard.

This motor just doesn't want to go 30mph.... it can be done but it will constantly beg you to twist the throttle and let it fly!

In all seriousness.... I would recommend a search on the forum for some of the fixes to smooth out the throttle and fueling (mainly APS adjustment) . I also recommend getting the ECU flashed if you are willing to do that to disable the O2 and create a closed loop fueling map. That will be the biggest improvement in fueling.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

25 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

This motor just doesn't want to go 30mph.... it can be done but it will constantly beg you to twist the throttle and let it fly!

In all seriousness.... I would recommend a search on the forum for some of the fixes to smooth out the throttle and fueling (mainly APS adjustment) . I also recommend getting the ECU flashed if you are willing to do that to disable the O2 and create a closed loop fueling map. That will be the biggest improvement in fueling.

I think you're right.  It wants to go but the tracer I test rode was also brand new and seemed more stable and calm at the slow speeds. It will go in soon for the first service and I imagine I'll have them look into too. 

Something like a 'Power Booster' - which despite its name doesn't actually boost power - may help.   It slightly enriches air/ fuel mixture at very small throttle openings to keep the power output nice and smooth.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Also check chain tension: a tight spot In the chain or incorrect tension can also cause this feeling of “uneasiness” when holding a lower speed. 

throttle body sync may be a bit off as well, but the engine should break-in a bit more IMHO before having it adjusted. 

As others have pointed out, it could also be an unfortunate byproduct of an engine tuned to meet emissions standards. But there’s a few things you can check. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I don't think 2019+ has APS adjustments.

I think you are right... I missed the fact that it was a 2019.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Probably what @skipperT said with regards to throttle body sync.  Mine's fine at 30mph/50kph, but before I did the sync it was pretty reluctant to stay at 30kph.  It wasn't much of an issue, as it's only school zones where I'm gonna hold that slow for any length of time, but it's much better now post-throttle body sync.  

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, duhs10 said:

I think you are right... I missed the fact that it was a 2019.

You can still adjust the TPS/APS settings, but need Yamaha diagnostic software to see the values which would otherwise be visible on the instrument cluster of 15 and 16 models. Some OBD-II readers might be able to display them as well? (Haven’t tested that). 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2