Tracer 900GT: Illustrated Guide to Syncing Throttle Bodies, or - how to pull off all your fairings.

4 hours ago, Manxkiwi said:

So obviously the OBD scan tool doesn't show vacuum values like Triumph/Tune ecu does? You can check throttle sync with a dongle in 2 mins. 

I was curious about this as well!

It shows intake air pressure values, one for each sensor. I don’t know how Triumph plumbs in their sensors and how their FI setup can also be used to sync.
My guess about the reason it won’t work on this (or many) Yamaha’s is that:

-one sensor is reading vacuum and pressure from multiple cylinders while the other is reading just one cylinder. 

-one sensor is also used as a cam position sensor. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• 2 months later...

Just finished changing spark plugs and syncing throttle bodies.  The white painted screw was hard for me to see in the bright light of my flashlight.  Here are before and after shots of the sync gauge.  I could tell a noticeable difference as they became synchronized, by my ear it seemed #1 (on left) was better when a tiny bit higher, engine would almost sound like it was hunting a bit.  The pic is a moment in time so they are not as even as it reality - #1 is a tiny bit lower in the pic than it really was.  Before I started the sync I connected all of the leads to the #1 vacuum port to calibrate the vacuum gauge.

Bought the gauge for my 2004 FZ6 and it had been hanging up in my workshop.  A friend who works at Barber Museum (side note he wrote many 3rd party manuals back in the day and in in the AMA Hall of Fame) had bought a bike and needed to sync the carbs.  I loaned him this gauge and he knew someone at the company and they sent him a rebuild kit.  He gave my meter back in better shape than it was when I loaned it to him!  

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

I used the same gauge to do mine at 5k miles on my 2020. Mine was out about like yours. My painted #3 screw wasn't touched but the #1 had to be all but bottomed out to get it to line up with #2 and my painted #3 screw. I figure next go around if that is the case I may have to use one of the other screws instead of my painted #3 to sync to.

My motion pro sync gauge has been used a lot and I have had to add fluid to mine over time. Seems the fluid will evaporate out over time if you do not cap off the plastic tube lines. I was just storing mine with the hoses connected is reason for the fluid loss over time. There are probably better gauges out there for this but this one has served me well over time.

• Thumbsup 1