Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

17 minutes ago, betoney said:

This is the confusing part, the wheel is hard to turn yet you have zero brake pedal feel.

With the bike up on the center stand can you move the wheel by hand?  If you remove the caliper from the brake carrier does the wheel suddenly free up or is it still hard to rotate?

So, I had to back paddle out of a parking spot yesterday, it's was stupid hard. Bike on centre, the tire will move, with considerable effort. As soon as the caliper comes off, it's all price is right bonus round spinning freely. Riding there is no rear brake at all. 

I was getting fluid and bubbles near the end of every cycle. When I removed the lid off the res, the internal bladder (not sure the actual name) was fully extended.

I was able to push the piston back to flat without issue when I removed it (15th time) this am.

Tire looks to be centre. Axel spacers are in, and in the correct spot. 

Brake pads were properly lined up in the front edge of the system....

IMG_20200525_121213.jpg

Cheers!

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, hammer said:

So, I had to back paddle out of a parking spot yesterday, it's was stupid hard. Bike on centre, the tire will move, with considerable effort. As soon as the caliper comes off, it's all price is right bonus round spinning freely. Riding there is no rear brake at all. 

I was getting fluid and bubbles near the end of every cycle. When I removed the lid off the res, the internal bladder (not sure the actual name) was fully extended.

I was able to push the piston back to flat without issue when I removed it (15th time) this am.

Brake pads were properly lined up in the front edge of the system....

So, when the caliper is removed from the carrier the wheel spins freely...  If you loosen the axle nut does the wheel and brake carrier slide forward and back smoothly in the swingarm?  The carrier has a slot or channel that mates with a tab on the swingarm which should allow the wheel to travel - smoothly - about 2" fore and aft .

The only thing I am coming up with is when the caliper is on the carrier it is causing binding like something is possibly mis-aligned with the carrier.  Other than that, I am out of ideas to help. sorry.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, hammer said:

IMG_20200525_121213.jpg

Are you sure you have the spacers in the right correct side?   Looking at that photo, it looks like the inside pad is completely seated against the caliper, and still in contact with the rotor.   Meanwhile, there’s a big gap on the outside pad...  almost like the entire wheel is too far over to the left of the bike.    

I don’t remember what the spacer configuration is on these bikes, so not even sure that could happen, but just visually that does look odd.  

Good luck chasing this one down...  sounds frustrating.  

EDIT:  Actually, mine looks exactly the same way.  Not sure what else to suggest.   

53010343-4F0D-4239-89DE-9E1426F67EF9.thumb.jpeg.dd6a255858ca5fa4f8091b7c1c275786.jpeg

Is the brake pedal hard, and doesn’t move at all?   Or completely soft, and travels all the way to the bottom of its movement? 

• Supporting Member

Looks to me like an assembly/installation issue, causing surfaces to not mate properly and things to bind/drag. Have a look at how the caliper is mated to the bracket. It appears off-centre. Last image (mine) for reference. I would disassemble and inspect. Good luck.

Capture1.PNG.e06c88fc0c2e76161bfe3af68db1c5e1.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.e347d711d8dcef96cb932a15fc09b921.PNG

Capture.thumb.PNG.b96ead29fcfcc1af270fa600014ae8cb.PNG

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

The internal bladder in the fluid reservoir extends as the fluid level drops, that’s perfectly normal. Just push it up to collapse it and top up the reservoir.

I wonder if you’ve damaged the rotor when fitting the tyre. If the rotor is at all out of true, it will bind and you’ll have low brake performance.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, ilanr1 said:

People , we are talking here about brakes , it's no joke at all.

Jokes???  how are you mis-interpreting this thread?  When you read the post it is obvious that everyone is trying to help him fix his issue.

• Thumbsup 1

can we get a picture of the other side of the caliper with the bolts installed?

EDIT: if you were still getting bubbles as you were bleeding, then you still have air in the system. get a clear tube that fits the end of the bleeder valve and bleed it through the hose into a catch jar. with the clear hose there is less chance of air returning into the system if you dont close the system before the fluid stops coming out.

also, is the caliper bracket slot on the bump out on the swingarm? if its not, it could cause the bracket to rotate downwards causing a hangup. and a picture with the bolts installed would confirm whether the caliper is parallel to the rotor.

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1

I'm working some long shifts the next few days. So unfortunately there probably won't be an update until Thurs eve.

Plan is to pull the wheel off and reassemble slowly and triple check everything again. With pics!

But thanks gang for all the ideas so far.

Edited by hammer
  • Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

1 hour ago, hammer said:

I'm working some long shifts the next few days. So unfortunately there probably won't be an update until Thurs eve.

Plan is to pull the wheel off and reassemble slowly and triple check everything again. With pics!

Plus if it's binding like that just think how hot the disk gets going down the road. 

Edited by tktplz
explanation

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, hammer said:

Good luck with a resolution and keep us updated on anything you find.

7 hours ago, piotrek said:

Looks to me like an assembly/installation issue, causing surfaces to not mate properly and things to bind/drag. Have a look at how the caliper is mated to the bracket. It appears off-centre. Last image (mine) for reference. I would disassemble and inspect. Good luck.

Capture1.PNG.e06c88fc0c2e76161bfe3af68db1c5e1.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.e347d711d8dcef96cb932a15fc09b921.PNG

Capture.thumb.PNG.b96ead29fcfcc1af270fa600014ae8cb.PNG

I agree, @piotrek... 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Best thing to do here to confirm spacer placement is to pull the caliper and pads off the bracket. The disc should be centred in the caliper bracket. If not spacers are in the wrong side. You didn’t misplace the spacer under the sprocket hub did you?

Edited by Buggy Nate