Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

2 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Checking off straightness with a square on the grass in the yard, blasphemy or maybe heresy. He already had an engineer check this and now here you come with whatever it is that you are trying to do. How can you tell if it’s straight when doing it the way you show? 

really? the rotor is a flat surface. if you use a straight edge to go from one side to the other, you would be able to tell if its bent by any light shown under the straight edge. im not measuring how square the rotor is to the center stands pads/ground here, just checking that the rotor is not warped from its own mounting points. ever hear the saying "if an engineer had to fix something they designed, they would have designed it differently"? 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, trevinator said:

really? the rotor is a flat surface. if you use a straight edge to go from one side to the other, you would be able to tell if its bent by any light shown under the straight edge. im not measuring how square the rotor is to the center stands pads/ground here, just checking that the rotor is not warped from its own mounting points. ever hear the saying "if an engineer had to fix something they designed, they would have designed it differently"? 

Ok let’s assume it’s tilted 5 degrees, the way you are doing it you would never know, it’s impossible. Now if you are saying it has a bent spot in the rotor, ok but possibly the whole rotor is at an angle, possibly....I don’t know what’s wrong with it, seems no one else on here does either. I’m hoping he finds out and let’s us know, maybe we should poll this one to see who’s right if anyone is. I completely agree with you on engineers, they only make things worse most of the time 

1 hour ago, trevinator said:

i also see a mark on the wheel from where the pads were scraping it, which is definitely not supposed to happen. have you put a straight edge across the face of the rotor to rule out that its not bent? i put arrows to the silver bushing that should be on your rear caliper. is it possible that the silver bushing is missing in your bike, or if its there, that the rubber is on the end of it tilting the caliper? also put a photo of how to check the rotor to see if its bent. just make sure the straight edge doesnt go over the bolt heads since they are proud of the rotor face.

020_LI.jpg

022.jpg

I know for a fact that there is no washer/spacer on the bolt (left caliper) that you indicate. I have taken it off enough times to know this. It was NOT there at first removal. Now, I don't have my manual, and that's all that it is....dang! It would almost make sense as the caliper is off top to bottom, not side to side (which would be a greater possibility of wheel misalignment)

The rotor is flat with no wave.

Just checked, the parts manual says nothing of a extra spacer/washer at the bolt head.

Edited by hammer
Cheers!

1 minute ago, Toddtr said:

Ok let’s assume it’s tilted 5 degrees, the way you are doing it you would never know, it’s impossible. Now if you are saying it has a bent spot in the rotor, ok but possibly the whole rotor is at an angle, possibly....I don’t know what’s wrong with it, seems no one else on here does either. I’m hoping he finds out and let’s us know, maybe we should poll this one to see who’s right if anyone is. I completely agree with you on engineers, they only make things worse most of the time 

i was never asking to see if the rotor/wheel was tilted in the swingarm, just to see if the rotor was bent. its really easy to bend a rotor while changing a tire if your not careful. if the pads have those gaps in them at all places on the rotor, then its more then likely to be a caliper mounting issue, but still has about 5% chance its the rotor. if its only in that one specific spot, then its a bent rotor. at one point, his pads were riding on the wheel as evidence from the shiny spot worn into his wheel in his pictures, which leads me to believe even more so that it was not put together correctly, and the odds of something becoming bent (like the mounting bolts) is pretty good. there are only a handful of things that can be wrong here and we are not seeing the full picture since we can not be there to observe it in person, so its up for him to find it on his bike. i can not replicate his brake pad gap on my bike, and yes i tried to do that today!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @hammer - Check out parts 8, 9, 17 in this parts diagram.    Part 11 is the front slide pin, which doesn’t have any additional sleeve or spacer.  Does yours look like this?    Note:  I pulled the 2015 FJ parts diagram, since I don’t know the year of your bike...  suspect they’re all very similar. 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2015/fj09-fj09fr/rear-brake-caliper

• Thumbsup 1

16 minutes ago, hammer said:

I know for a fact that there is no washer/spacer on the bolt (left caliper) that you indicate. I have taken it off enough times to know this. It was NOT there at first removal. Now, I don't have my manual, and that's all that it is....dang! It would almost make sense as the caliper is off top to bottom, not side to side (which would be a greater possibility of wheel misalignment)

Just checked, the parts manual says nothing of a extra spacer/washer at the bolt head.

the red circled part should be on the rear most caliper bolt, pinched between the head of the bolt and the silver caliper mount that the abs sensor is attached to. its able to slide in the caliper and held on the caliper by the rubber sleeve.

000aaa Inkedfj-09 brakes_LI.jpg

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 2

14 minutes ago, trevinator said:

the red circled part should be on the rear most caliper bolt, pinched between the head of the bolt and the silver caliper mount that the abs sensor is attached to.

000aaa Inkedfj-09 brakes_LI.jpg

Yes the sleeve is in per book

Edited by hammer
Cheers!

21 minutes ago, hammer said:

how much up and down play do you have in the rear of the caliper. if you try to pull it up and down, there should be about 1/16" or less of movement. when i removed the spacer on my bike today to see what could go wrong, it would have about 3/8" of up and down movement, and i believe the inner brake pad was able to fall out of the channel in front of the caliper. possible cause as to why you have a shiny spot where the pad was dragging on the wheel?

Edited by trevinator

5 minutes ago, hammer said:

Yes the sleeve is LUBED and in per book

and your sure that the rubber part is not between that sleeve and the mount? have you taken the bolt that goes in that sleeve and rolled it on a smooth surface to see if its bent?

16 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @hammer - Check out parts 8, 9, 17 in this parts diagram.    Part 11 is the front slide pin, which doesn’t have any additional sleeve or spacer.  Does yours look like this?    Note:  I pulled the 2015 FJ parts diagram, since I don’t know the year of your bike...  suspect they’re all very similar. 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2015/fj09-fj09fr/rear-brake-caliper

Mine is a '15. Yup, boot, sleeve and bolt are all in place.

• Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, trevinator said:

and your sure that the rubber part is not between that sleeve and the mount?

Looking back at the photos, I had that same thought...   I just went out to the shop and looked at mine, and while the rubber boot is essentially resting against the caliper carrier, it slides back easily to expose the sleeve underneath.  If the rubber was trapped between the sleeve and the mount, it could get things out of alignment, and keep the caliper from floating freely.  

I'm with you... he's SO CLOSE to figuring this out. 

5 minutes ago, hammer said:

So. I sent this pic to my guys and one noticed the top looks totally askew. Is this normal?

IMG_20200604_235523.jpg

just looks like thats how the caliper casting was made. do the pads have the gap the whole way around the rotor? is there any play in the wheel bearings?

IF YOU PULL THE PADS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE CALIPER, DOES THE CALIPER SLIDE FREELY IN AND OUT?

PICTURES REQUESTED. PLEASE

-BOTH SIDES OF AXLE ENDS.

-TOP SLIDER PIN CLOSE UP

-WIDE VIEW OF COMPLETE CALIPER FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES.

Edited by FJ29ER