Tire Swap, Now Brake Grabs?

hammer

I’m going to say that this is very disappointing to say the least. All these replies and don’t nobody on here know squat, myself included. I can’t wait until he finds out what’s wrong with it.....can we please do a poll so we can flame each other because of the responses? I think most are assuming it’s installer error, I think otherwise but I’m not very smart

12 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

IF YOU PULL THE PADS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE CALIPER, DOES THE CALIPER SLIDE FREELY IN AND OUT?

PICTURES REQUESTED. PLEASE

-BOTH SIDES OF AXLE ENDS.

-TOP SLIDER PIN CLOSE UP

-WIDE VIEW OF COMPLETE CALIPER FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES.

i'll get them tonight or this wknd. I'm at work until 23:00 tonight

Cheers!

8 minutes ago, hammer said:

i'll get them tonight or this wknd. I'm at work until 23:00 tonight

Ok. But please remove the pads. Just pull the pin out and pull pads out only. And see if the whole caliper slides nicely in and out all he way stop to stop(which the lower pin with the sleeve is the "limiter"), because if it binds at all then it wont release. The hydraulic system doesn't provide enough pressure to push the caliper back to resting position if it is binding. We gotta do process of elimination. Not step 5, then to step 10, then to step 3. Eliminate 1 by 1.

Been a mechanic for anything with wheels for about 20 ish years. But you always start with step 1 and so on.

Edited by FJ29ER
  • Thumbsup 3

The anti-rattle clips that support the inner (I think) pad have a slight indentation in them which is supposed to keep the pad in place. It’s possible that part of the edge of the pad wasn’t seated in there correctly upon reinstallation. 
-Skip

On 6/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, Toddtr said:

I actually know what the problem is now. You brought an engineer into a problem and now it has become compounded x infinity, I’m sorry but all hope is lost 

He read this and had a laugh!

Edited by hammer
  • Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

4 minutes ago, skipperT said:

The anti-rattle clips that support the inner (I think) pad have a slight indentation in them which is supposed to keep the pad in place. It’s possible that part of the edge of the pad wasn’t seated in there correctly upon reinstallation. 
-Skip

Do you mean the leading edge of the pads? Yes, they are seated correctly.

I will post a sl of pics tonight/this weekend. Lol...we should "zoom" this procedure.

• Thumbsup 2
Cheers!

#1-pad pin/lower slider bolt removed close up

#2-same farther away

#3caliper pulled up, pads just hanging

#4-showing the sliver of the sleeve butted up against the caliper bracket, when tightened down

20200605_172202.jpg

20200605_172207.jpg

20200605_172225.jpg

20200605_172355.jpg

Hopefully one of those pictures makes you have a eureka moment. But just make sure caliper slides nicely side to side with pads out. And the metal clip is correct. And when the pads are in they are seated correct against that clip. 

And if it's all mechanically good.then follow this bleed procedure(I know you've done it multiple times but obviously something is wrong somewhere so yea) this will be brake bleeding for dummies... 

1- remove reservoir cap and fill reservoir to upper line. Lay cap or rag on top of reservoir to prevent anything from getting in. 

2- put the box end of a 10mm wrench on the bleed plug on the caliper, pointing away from the bike. Then Put some kind of tubing etc on the bleed plug to get spent fluid away from bike. Preferably into a container. 

3-without touching anything else, crack the bleeder valve open a little bit then back closed again. 

4- with the bleeder valve closed apply firm steady pressure to rear brake pedal in a downward motion. 

5-crack bleeder open, allow brake pedal to bottom out, DO NOT LET UP ON THE PEDAL and close bleeder valve. 

6- repeat step 4-5 approx 4 times or until fluid reaches lower mark on reservoir. 

I've never had contamination or air cause a sticking caliper. Only a master cylinder on a race car that had failed that wasn't allowing the pressure to bleed off. But it would be one hell of a coincidence for this to happen all of a sudden. 

If none of what I have posted has solved the issue then idk wtf is going on. Send it to the professionals

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Toddtr said:

IAll these replies and don’t nobody on here know squat, myself included. I can’t wait until he finds out what’s wrong with it.....can we please do a poll so we can flame each other because of the responses?

Actually, we apparently all know a ton of things!  It’s just that none of it is accurate or relevant thus far...  :)   

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

The aluminum carrier thingy is warped. Anyone close who could let you borrow one just to check?

That was brought up as a possibility, but low probability. Before removal tire spun freely, while the wheel was off, it was placed up on the fender, and during install it was babied. Never say never though.

Cheers!