Night and Day

fr8dog

• Premium Member

Finally. I've had this Nitron shock for a year, and to me, it didn't feel a whole lot better than stock. I could feel a difference on good pavement and twisties, but In town it was almost unridable. Harsh. I also had the stock shock rebuilt and it felt about the same. Frustrating.

Last week I went to a local suspension guy. He didn't make any adjustments, we just talked shocks. He showed me the innards of a shock and explained how it works. Got me to thinking. I've been turning the rebound knob the wrong way. Stupid.

My wife helped me set the sag. She was very patient. Ha.

Rode it to work the next day and what a difference. I can actually feel the shock working. Kind of weird. I'm at good starting point to where I can start to fine tune it. Kind of.

When I had the forks done, the shop didn't assemble it back together properly. I have only 5 clicks of rebound. They will fix their mistake, but I'm 500 miles away. I had the forks done a week before we moved to Idaho. I can probably do it myself. I think I need a spring compressor and a vice. Not sure of any other special tools. Oh, and a proper stand. I'm going to the dealer today to see what they would charge.

So anyway, things are moving in the right direction. I was about ready to give up on this shock.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Sounds like a lot of progress... congrats on your new bike! My wife was also voluntold to assist over the weekend to set the sag for my touring and pillion setups. 3 threads visible for everyday/commute, 4.5 threads for touring and 6 threads for my 90lb pillion w/light luggage. A full turn is about a full thread, so I just made a sharpie mark on the ring for reference. Works out to 35-39mm sag from unladen. Good to know these so that you can always be in the ballpark without having to measure or guess. Feels great across the range.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif