Let's see your past bikes...

keithu

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

I will try to track down some pictures later... I've owned 4 motorcycles.

'05 Ninja 500R

The Ninja 500/EX500 was a decent starter bike. I think they went almost 20 years without significant mechanical changes. I actually thought they looked nice, although some of Kawasaki's paint schemes were hideous. 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, tktplz said:

P1001301.thumb.jpg.2cbad54597267a3cdac1682fdbe5f563.jpg

Here are the last 2 bikes since 2004, a ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson Kawi, a 1996 ZX11 Ninja, notice the handle bars, old man crotch rocket and a 1999 VMax carbon fiber. All from a long list. The list gets pretty long when your in your 60s!

What's your honest opinion about the VMax? I had one for about a week as a test bike. The motor was outstanding, but I'm pretty sure the fuel filler was designed by the same engineer who did the FJ-09 bodywork. 

1 hour ago, keithu said:

What's your honest opinion about the VMax? I had one for about a week as a test bike. The motor was outstanding, but I'm pretty sure the fuel filler was designed by the same engineer who did the FJ-09 bodywork. 

I've never owned one, but have had the chance to ride one a bit.  My impression that it was a great bike, as long as you didn't need to turn or stop.

I'm also curious as to what it was like to live with one. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
Just now, maximo said:

I've never owned one, but have had the chance to ride one a bit.  My impression that it was a great bike, as long as you didn't need to turn or stop.

I'm also curious as to what it was like to live with one. 

I had a VMax loaner for about a week. I rode it from the SF Bay Area up to my Dad's near Reno, following a ~300 route through the Sierras. This was in 1996 so I'm afraid I don't remember much about the brakes, handling, etc. The main things that stick in my mind are the epic motor and the bordering-on-criminal fuel filler design.  

The fuel filler is under the mid-seat pad, as shown in the photo below. If you have any luggage bungeed on the pillion seat, like I did, first remove all of it because it will be in the way. 

The pad flips forward just enough to barely reveal the filler. To open the pad, you have to use both hands and open the release latches located on BOTH SIDES of the seat. Why two latches?! One would suffice, but no. You must open both spring-loaded latches simultaneously. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Now with the pad open, use the ignition key to unlock the cap, located deep down in the bowels of the motorcycle. Better remove your gloves first, it's a tight squeeze. 

Once the cap is removed, insert the fuel filler nozzle and begin fueling. I see you live in California, so you're going to have an epic fight with the CA anti-evap nozzle foreskin. There isn't enough room for it and you will definitely spill fuel everywhere. No way around it. This probably isn't a big deal in other states, but in California via con Dios. 

When you're done, clean up most of the spilled fuel, re-install the fuel cap, close the seat pad, and re-bungee all your luggage on the pillion seat.

Repeat 90-100 miles later because the mighty VMax is thirsty and carries less than four gallons of fuel.  

VMax62.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, keithu said:

The CB400T was a fantastic first bike. I rode the piss out of mine.

I was always a fan of the mid-90s GPZ1100. They come up cheap on Craigslist once in a while, nobody seems to know what they are. Someday I'd like to pick one up as a project.

Yes, that Hawk was a great first bike.  I rode it everywhere until I wanted something better suited to touring.

The GPZ was vastly improved by a Spiegler LSL Superbike Bar kit.

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

2 hours ago, keithu said:

I had a VMax loaner for about a week. I rode it from the SF Bay Area up to my Dad's near Reno, following a ~300 route through the Sierras. This was in 1996 so I'm afraid I don't remember much about the brakes, handling, etc. The main things that stick in my mind are the epic motor and the bordering-on-criminal fuel filler design.  

The fuel filler is under the mid-seat pad, as shown in the photo below. If you have any luggage bungeed on the pillion seat, like I did, first remove all of it because it will be in the way. 

The pad flips forward just enough to barely reveal the filler. To open the pad, you have to use both hands and open the release latches located on BOTH SIDES of the seat. Why two latches?! One would suffice, but no. You must open both spring-loaded latches simultaneously. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Now with the pad open, use the ignition key to unlock the cap, located deep down in the bowels of the motorcycle. Better remove your gloves first, it's a tight squeeze. 

Once the cap is removed, insert the fuel filler nozzle and begin fueling. I see you live in California, so you're going to have an epic fight with the CA anti-evap nozzle foreskin. There isn't enough room for it and you will definitely spill fuel everywhere. No way around it. This probably isn't a big deal in other states, but in California via con Dios. 

When you're done, clean up most of the spilled fuel, re-install the fuel cap, close the seat pad, and re-bungee all your luggage on the pillion seat.

Repeat 90-100 miles later because the mighty VMax is thirsty and carries less than four gallons of fuel.  

VMax62.jpg

Sweet cheeses!!What design school flunkie thought that would be a good idea??? You're right, there's no way to fill up that thing with our gas nozzles unless you're skilled in Moroccan mint tea pouring. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, maximo said:

What design school flunkie thought that would be a good idea??? 

Probably the same Yamaha engineer who thought it was fine that on a half-faired bike like the FJ-09 you have to remove seven fairing panels with six different kinds of fasteners in order to remove the fuel tank. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

I had a hippie Norton Commando Roadster back in the day: Purple metal flake 750!   An irreverent classic only a Yank could love.  But it would do the ton and the girls seemed to find it appealing.

nor.jpg

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 4
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

26 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

tnCAXUI2AR.jpg.466ea3145678c8e40efac255b6ace615.jpg

73 Honda

81 Suzuki GS450L

84 Nighthawk 550

90 Honda Pacific Coast

Now a 17 FJ09.

Call me an oddball, but I've always loved the look of the PC800. In fact, that was part of the reason I got the ST1100, it's because it reminded me of the PC. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Purple metal flake 750!  

nor.jpg

That is bad ass...  I love it!   It's total retro-chic, but looks to have been really well done.  I would own that now in a heartbeat.  :)

Here's my friend's recently completed resto-mod Norton 850.  Beautifully done, and made to actually be ridden:

CF_Norton.thumb.jpg.b658b7f4df5a59fe93b9c6b9bb1779bf.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

20 hours ago, tktplz said:

0909141733-00.thumb.jpg.da12f0395ed71cdcb565c01c8d2bf9a0.jpg

Always like the ZRX 1200 and still see them on the road on occasion.  Had one slip thought my hands a couple years ago.  It was the green color and was 100% stock original.  Called and told the lady on the phone I would be there in the morning with cash.  Two guys got there ahead of me that next morning and it was gone.

I consider my Ninja 1000 somewhat of the evolution of this bike.

Edited by johnmark101
Because I can not type worth a crap.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

It was a great bike that I did't appreciate.  That was a stock color in 1970 and I bought it used.  I crashed it regularly emulating my hero Mike Hailwood and it was a bit of a mess when I sold it.  Pity the fool!!!

Note: Bike the photo is shot taken from stock Internet stock photo site.  I did't even save a picture of that beauty.  Dumb ass!

When I was at the Isle of Man in 2011 I saw an identical Commando Roadster in Red metal flake.  I'm partial to purple:)

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, rodb47 said:

90 Honda Pacific Coast

People criticized Honda because by their own admission the Pacific Coast was designed to attract non-motorcyclists into the showrooms. Well why not? Who do you think the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign was aimed at? One of the most practical motorcycles ever made, too bad more people didn't buy it.

• Thumbsup 2