How many bikes is too many

maximo

I would love to have a few, if I had the space and the money...

1. Tracer 900 GT for fun rides, every day use and riding on twisty roads
  2. R1250 GS for long trips / vacations (although in the mountains a Tracer might turn out to be more fun)
  3. A well powered naked bike as a stress reliever (I'm not a racer but a track-day every now and then would be nice)
  • Thumbsup 1

Minimum of 2. Maximum of N+1

Currently have my Tracer 900 for riding around, longer rides, twisty roads, CRF250L for single track roads and trail riding and 1983 GSX750 because it's just a big part of my life.

If I could find a nice 250 or 350 Yamaha LC I would (maybe) have all I want.

• Thumbsup 2

For all of you whose ideal number is n+1, what's the most bikes you've had at once and kept them in riding condition? 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

I'm down to five bikes now

2019 Tracer 900GT, 2009 HD XR1200, 2015 KLR650, 1980 XS650 Street Tracker  and a 2004 WR450 Supermoto. 

I would love to add the new 700 Tennere to the mix. But that will have to wait as I'm getting ready to move to 😠to please the wife.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

13 hours ago, maximo said:

For all of you whose ideal number is n+1, what's the most bikes you've had at once and kept them in riding condition? 

5  FJ1200 Yamaha , GS650 Suzuki, GSX750 Suzuki, XT600 Yamaha and KDX250 Kawasaki.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Today I overheard a guy say that he has 7 bikes and I thought, "That's too much maintenance."  I've never had more than 3 and that's what I have now.  I'd like it to be two: a primary and a backup.  Maybe one for SPORT touring and one for sport TOURING.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, duhg said:

Today I overheard a guy say that he has 7 bikes and I thought, "That's too much maintenance."  I've never had more than 3 and that's what I have now.  I'd like it to be two: a primary and a backup.  Maybe one for SPORT touring and one for sport TOURING.

I have thought the save thing, have 2 bikes that cross over a bit, SPORT-tour and adventure-TOUR.  As 'boring' as they are classified as, I have been seriously considering a used Super Tenere as I have been intrigued for years by riding to the Arctic Ocean...  bullet proof 1200cc motor with shaft drive, cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension, just add gas and tires.👍

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

After hiatus from riding for about 10 years I jumped back with a vstrom back in March or April.  The garage now has 3 bikes in it.  The Strom, a DRZ, and a V-star.   Soon the V will be gone and replaced with a GT.  The most bikes I had was 5.  4 dirt bikes and a Suzuki Bandit 1200.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

I have thought the save thing, have 2 bikes that cross over a bit, SPORT-tour and adventure-TOUR.  As 'boring' as they are classified as, I have been seriously considering a used Super Tenere as I have been intrigued for years by riding to the Arctic Ocean...  bullet proof 1200cc motor with shaft drive, cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension, just add gas and tires.👍

I used to think about a ride there. I've read a lot of ride reports. Time is slipping away.

Last year In my quest to find an additional bike (something different), I test rode a Super T and a MT-10.

Super T was really comfortable. Suspension was good. Engine doesn't have much pop, but not what it's made for. Don't think I'd have to do much to it to start traveling.

It's a large bike, but would be stable on the open road.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

I used to think about a ride there. I've read a lot of ride reports. Time is slipping away.

Last year In my quest to find an additional bike (something different), I test rode a Super T and a MT-10.

Super T was really comfortable. Suspension was good. Engine doesn't have much pop, but not what it's made for. Don't think I'd have to do much to it to start traveling.

It's a large bike, but would be stable on the open road.

I hear you about "time is slipping away... SO many places I have never been and considering I live a few hours from the Canadian border, the possibilities to try something new are limitless.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Super T forum and concerning the "sleepy" motor, - the cat in the exhaust is very restrictive and gears 1-3 have restrictions, an ECU flash is reported to work wonders to 'wake-up' the throttle response. 

In addition to all-day riding comfort, the biggest 'feature' that attracts me to the S10 is the reliability and longevity of the motor, like the FJR, there are many riders who have long ago exceeded 100-200k miles on their bikes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 6/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, Stew said:

5  FJ1200 Yamaha , GS650 Suzuki, GSX750 Suzuki, XT600 Yamaha and KDX250 Kawasaki.

That's the number I got to when I realized that I had too many. Considering work and family, my riding time became just maintenance time. 

Interestingly, of my 5, two were the FJ1200 and the GS650. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

4 minutes ago, maximo said:

That's the number I got to when I realized that I had too many. Considering work and family, my riding time became just maintenance time. 

Interestingly, of my 5, two were the FJ1200 and the GS650. 

I've had 3 FJ1200's in my time. Every time I got rid of one I regretted it. I just loved riding them.  Never tried the FJR, which seemed to be it's natural replacement, but was far too expensive for me when it came out.
The GS's were great bikes, I did 30,000 miles in a year on my old GS550 (partly despatch riding in London back in the day). The 650 with the shaft drive was a great bike as well. I still have a GSX750 1982 or 1983 I can never remember , it rarely gets ridden any more, but I just can't sell it.

I no longer have a garage, so it's the Tracer and the CRF here, and the GSX stored away at my sister's farm.

1 minute ago, Stew said:

I've had 3 FJ1200's in my time. Every time I got rid of one I regretted it. I just loved riding them. 

I never clicked with my FJ. Mine wasn't in great shape, and a Corbin saddle which had molded to someone else's bottom, so it just didn't work out for me. I wanted to love it, but it gathered more dust than bugs. Since selling mine, I've always been curious if I had a proper one if it would have been a better match. 

• Thumbsup 1