How many bikes is too many

maximo

1 minute ago, maximo said:

I never clicked with my FJ. Mine wasn't in great shape, and a Corbin saddle which had molded to someone else's bottom, so it just didn't work out for me. I wanted to love it, but it gathered more dust than bugs. Since selling mine, I've always been curious if I had a proper one if it would have been a better match. 

Oh, I loved mine. The low slung weight and the ton of torque. Brilliant 2 up with camping gear all loaded up as well, great weather protection and easy to service. I put R1 brakes on mine, as the stock brakes were dire. The only issue I ever had was doing the shims on the valves until I realised that the 'official' yamaha tool didn't work properly, but a quick session with a grinding disc sorted that.  Looking at your bike list, I would have put it as better than the ST1100, sounds like you just had a dog.

3 hours ago, Stew said:

I would have put it as better than the ST1100, sounds like you just had a dog.

I definitely had a dog.  I rode a friend's Bandit 1200 for a while, and I imagine it would be a similar ride when it's working well. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, betoney said:

I hear you about "time is slipping away... SO many places I have never been and considering I live a few hours from the Canadian border, the possibilities to try something new are limitless.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Super T forum and concerning the "sleepy" motor, - the cat in the exhaust is very restrictive and gears 1-3 have restrictions, an ECU flash is reported to work wonders to 'wake-up' the throttle response. 

In addition to all-day riding comfort, the biggest 'feature' that attracts me to the S10 is the reliability and longevity of the motor, like the FJR, there are many riders who have long ago exceeded 100-200k miles on their bikes.

The reliability from Yamaha is probably a given. Shaft drive would be good. Read a lot on the Super T forum also

I'm leaning towards more comfort. Something easier on the knees. I've been on the ergo website comparing bikes. BMW's have the best numbers. Also the highest price numbers. Went to the BMW dealer Tuesday. I don't think I could bring myself to spend that kind of money.

Also checked out a Vstrom 1000. Had a thing for those before I bought the FJ. Glad I didn't buy one. The new 1000 looks good in pics, but in person just doesn't do it for me.

The most bikes at one time I've had is two. Didn't ride either one much. Lost interest due to a crash and the kids started popping out.

Not sure about two bikes here. Riding time has been cut by a few months.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

I'm leaning towards more comfort. Something easier on the knees. I've been on the ergo website comparing bikes. BMW's have the best numbers. Also the highest price numbers. Went to the BMW dealer Tuesday. I don't think I could bring myself to spend that kind of money.

I love the bikes but have friends own them and read reports online for years that the $20K++ is just the entrance fee for ownership.  There is a very real strategy to owning them just until the service warranty is set to expire and then trade-in for the next one.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My wife says three are too many.  When I pointed out to her that three bikes would fit comfortably in the garage without taking room away from her car, she pointed out to me that three bikes and a cot would not fit comfortably in the garage.

So I am currently limited to the '15 FJ-09 and an '18 XSR700, having gotten too damn old to be sleeping on a cot in the garage.

IMG_20200618_113011874_HDR~2.jpg

BLM.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, hlmiskelly said:

My wife says three are too many.  When I pointed out to her that three bikes would fit comfortably in the garage without taking room away from her car, she pointed out to me that three bikes and a cot would not fit comfortably in the garage.

So I am currently limited to the '15 FJ-09 and an '18 XSR700, having gotten too damn old to be sleeping on a cot in the garage.

How do you like the 700 compared to the 900?  I have heard nothing but great things about that motor.

1 hour ago, betoney said:

How do you like the 700 compared to the 900?  I have heard nothing but great things about that motor.

Both are great.  The 700 has a lot of grunt, lots of low end and pulls hard from a stop, perfect for twisty county roads and city riding.  It sounds great with the cross plane twin and the aftermarket exhaust I have on it.  But the bike seems comfortable right around 70 to 75 mph. 

The 900 has a lot of high end and is comfortable running 90 all day long, so perfect for the light touring I do with it.  Plus it sounds like a box full of angry hornets. 

In the end, both engines are excellent - as expected from Yamaha.  In my past I owned a Triumph Tiger 1050 and I can honestly say that I prefer the Yamaha 9000 engine.  While not as smooth (I've made no modifications to the ECM) as the 1050, it has real character and feels quicker.

Edited by hlmiskelly
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

On 6/30/2020 at 7:00 PM, betoney said:

I have thought the save thing, have 2 bikes that cross over a bit, SPORT-tour and adventure-TOUR.  As 'boring' as they are classified as, I have been seriously considering a used Super Tenere as I have been intrigued for years by riding to the Arctic Ocean...  bullet proof 1200cc motor with shaft drive, cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension, just add gas and tires.👍

My BIL is a pretty hardcore ADV guy, does huge, transcontinental rides every year.  He's been trying to get me into that forever, and while it looks like a ton of fun, I'd need a bike specced for it, and it'd need to be a big one.  Sadly, those get really spendy, and tend to be bikes I'd be less interested in riding vs. the Tracer in day to day use which makes it a lot harder to justify.

The Tenere 700 looks amazing, and I'd absolutely love one to play with (that CP2 is hella fun, and on an even more torquey geared setup!?) but I don't think I'd be into a week+ long offroad trip on one.  

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

The Tenere 700 looks amazing, and I'd absolutely love one to play with (that CP2 is hella fun, and on an even more torquey geared setup!?) but I don't think I'd be into a week+ long offroad trip on one. 

I agree.  My dealer has the T7's in stock and looking them over they are very dirt oriented, I would even say street legal dirt bike.  For an 'adventure-tour' or trip, I would want something a bit more street oriented for a good mix of riding, and more comfortable for distance riding.  It still looks like a fun bike for day trips or even an over nighter.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, hlmiskelly said:

Both are great.  The 700 has a lot of grunt, lots of low end and pulls hard from a stop, perfect for twisty county roads and city riding.  It sounds great with the cross plane twin and the aftermarket exhaust I have on it.  But the bike seems comfortable right around 70 to 75 mph. 

The 900 has a lot of high end and is comfortable running 90 all day long, so perfect for the light touring I do with it.  Plus it sounds like a box full of angry hornets. 

In the end, both engines are excellent - as expected from Yamaha.  In my past I owned a Triumph Tiger 1050 and I can honestly say that I prefer the Yamaha 9000 engine.  While not as smooth (I've made no modifications to the ECM) as the 1050, it has real character and feels quicker.

For sure.  Having owned an MT07 and the MTT09, if I where to buy an XSR, I'd get an XSR700.  It's more fun in tighter, slightly "slower" situations.  IMHO an 07 for in-town riding and screwing around over short distances, and the Tracer for bigger rides would be really ideal.  

I particularly miss the kick off the line the CP2 has over the CP3.  Sure, in any measurable way the 900 is faster, but the feel of all that torque right off the bat from the twin; it's got a frenzied rush that just isn't duplicated anywhere else. 

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, hlmiskelly said:

and an '18 XSR700,

That 700 looks fun! I went to 1 bike to pay less insurance. Well it's 2 actually, an FJ09 and a Yamaha ZUMA, 50cc 2-smoke. I don't really count the ZUMA as a motorcycle, it's a scooter. And it's only 21 bucks every 6 months. Did have a ZXR1100 and a ZX11 and the ZUMA. Now I'm entertaining a Suzuki 400 super Motard to add to the stable. So I think 2 bikes is perfect, even though I went to 1 to pay less insurance, save money, etc. Still might switch back to 2 bikes. Then I think of spending the money and my Jewish Mom steps into my head and tells me it's not a need thing, just a want thing or she says Oh-vey. So yeah we'll see how it goes......

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!