K-Tech spring vs piston kit vs fork cartridge - Which one?

So i'm planning on getting my front suspension upgraded with K-Tech components and am in a toss up between:

1. Springs only
  2. Springs and piston kit whereby they just use the OEM fork cartridges and replace the OEM pistons
  3. getting new fork cartridges and a spring

Would be keen on hearing people's first hand opinions based on their experiences with the above

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bugie said:

So i'm planning on getting my front suspension upgraded with K-Tech components and am in a toss up between:

1. Springs only
  2. Springs and piston kit whereby they just use the OEM fork cartridges and replace the OEM pistons

Would be keen on hearing people's first hand opinions based on their experiences with the above

I did number 2. Night and day difference. I'm 225#, so it helped out a lot.

Wanted to go the pattonme route but didn't seem to be an option.

I looked at Andreani cartridges, but read they were set up more for racing. The cost is good.

After my positive experience with K-Tech, option 3 could be in my future.

Stoltec has some nice stuff too.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, bugie said:

1. Springs only

Does option #2 have a custom (specific to YOU) shim stack or is it an 'off the shelf' generic configuration?  The reason I ask is, everyone uses their bike for different conditions, touring, commuting, sport, track etc. and the valving (and sometimes the spring stiffness) will be very different for each.  Usually with option #3, when buying direct from the company, they build them specifically and exactly for your riding conditions.

I would at least send an email to K-Tech and ask about option #2 to see if it can be made with a shim stack that meets your specific riding style.  At a minimum, getting the correct springs for your weight makes a huge difference in the bikes comfort and handling.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, fr8dog said:

I did number 2. Night and day difference. I'm 225#, so it helped out a lot.

Yeah i'm at a similar weight to you too. Did you go for a 9.0 or 9.5nm spring? And did you just do the front, or, did you also do the back too? If so, what did you do to the back?

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Does option #2 have a custom (specific to YOU) shim stack or is it an 'off the shelf' generic configuration?  The reason I ask is, everyone uses their bike for different conditions, touring, commuting, sport, track etc. and the valving (and sometimes the spring stiffness) will be very different for each.  Usually with option #3, when buying direct from the company, they build them specifically and exactly for your riding conditions.

Option 2 would involve removing the stock fork internals and replacing the piston. I'll be pairing this with stiffer springs. The stock adjuster and cartridge can be used. Will need to check if the valving and shim stack can be altered so thanks for that.

• Supporting Member

@bugie - What type of riding do you do?  K-Tech's Razor-R Lite might possibly be all you need for the rear.  Emulsion shock (oil and nitrogen are NOT separated) and no compression adjustment but for general riding, this would be a definite improvement over stock.

• Thumbsup 1

@betoney - Generally fairly agressive street riding. I do touring but on a daily basis it's more about sporty riding. My current plan is to sort out the front and leave the rear to another day (just because my understanding (potentially mistaken) is that it isn't so problematic rather than due to finances)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, bugie said:

Yeah i'm at a similar weight to you too. Did you go for a 9.0 or 9.5nm spring? And did you just do the front, or, did you also do the back too? If so, what did you do to the back?

Option 2 would involve removing the stock fork internals and replacing the piston. I'll be pairing this with stiffer springs. The stock adjuster and cartridge can be used. Will need to check if the valving and shim stack can be altered so thanks for that.

went with

I think I went with 1.00 kg springs. I did the shock first. Seemed to be more of an issue. Went with a Nitron R1.

If I did again I would go with K-Tech cartridges and springs. I'm happy with the current set up, but always looking for better performance.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I threw in the towel. Instead of getting a new or different bike, i'm going for suspension upgrade on my 2016 FJ09. I'm given USD 2100 estimate including labor to do springs and piston swap (all k-tech)+ shock (k-tech RR). 

I was wondering if i should save on labor and use the savings to do a cartridge kit drop instead. Does it make any sense?

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, RollIt said:

I was wondering if i should save on labor and use the savings to do a cartridge kit drop instead. Does it make any sense?

The 2016 FJ09 does not have compression adjustability on the fork, so the big difference between a re-valve and complete cartridge replacement would be that the cartridges would have one leg that has compression adjustability and the other with rebound adjustability.  

14 hours ago, betoney said:

The 2016 FJ09 does not have compression adjustability on the fork, so the big difference between a re-valve and complete cartridge replacement would be that the cartridges would have one leg that has compression adjustability and the other with rebound adjustability.  

so, do you suggest i go for complete cartridge replacement myself? I can handle most repairs if i have the tools but i don't have any fork tools.  I believe complete cartridge replacement would not need entire set of tools, is that right?