Removing adhesive residue from faux carbon side panels

• Supporting Member

I cant really tell from the photo but is the actual top layer of the faux carbon coming up?  For any adhesive I just use something like Goo Gone.

Goo Gone Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce - Surface Safe Adhesive ...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I'd test Goo Gone on the back side first, as it contains hydrocarbon solvents that can literally melt plastic.  Goo Off is more friendly, or am I confusing the two?  Probably am.  If it uses Orange in the ingredients it may be ok but I'd still test first. I don't kerosene works well also and is safe on most plastic (and chain o-rings).

• Thumbsup 1

I have not done bike decal removal, but for pretty much any residue left from regular stickers on a hard surface I use regular kitchen/cooking oil or olive oil. Just rub some in and then rinse with soap.  It's a cheap solution atleast!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I use WD40 to remove adhesive.  Works great.  It'll turn the glue to gel.  Might take more than one application, but should soften it up enough to just wipe off.  Bit of Simple Green or gentle detergent to clean off the residue, and you're done.

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I used Goo Gone with a 10 minute setting period.  All of the adhesive was removed, the bits of backing from old tank grip that remained rubbed off easily.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100