2015 fj09 vs 2019 tracer 900

I'm searching for a new bike and a dealership a couple states away has a few left over 2019 base models for 6990

I've also found a 2015 with remapped ecu, cruise control and heated grips and seat concepts with 10k miles for 5990. Oil drain plug mod has been done, throttle bodies synced, but valves not checked as far as I know

How would the throttle response/jerkiness compare between a stock 2019 and a remapped 2015?

Looking at cycle ergo the 15 seems to have better ergonomics even though the 18 has a longer swingarm.  I'm 6'4 with 35" inseam

What do you guys think?

Also what are the insurance rates of a tracer typically? As high as other sport bikes?

Edited by JonEBlaze

• Premium Member

If it were my money I'd probably get the 2015. $6990 is a great deal on a new bike, but the cruise control, ECU remap, and heated grips are highly valuable mods. Valves should be fine at 10k miles, they aren't due for inspection until 24k. 

Insurance seems to vary widely by location, individual, and company, but it should be cheaper than a typical sportbike. You can always get a quote before you buy.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, JonEBlaze said:

I'm searching for a new bike and a dealership a couple states away has a few left over 2019 base models for 6990

I've also found a 2015 with remapped ecu, cruise control and heated grips and seat concepts with 10k miles for 5990. Oil drain plug mod has been done, throttle bodies synced, but valves not checked as far as I know

How would the throttle response/jerkiness compare between a stock 2019 and a remapped 2015?

Looking at cycle ergo the 15 seems to have better ergonomics even though the 18 has a longer swingarm.  I'm 6'4 with 35" inseam

What do you guys think?

There isn't much of a change between the FJ09 and the base level Tracer.  Except for the longer swingarm, the engine and frame are the same, the slightly reshaped bodywork will be the most significant difference, the seat is also slightly reshaped.  All of the major changes were for the GT model.

One benefit of the 2015 and 2016 models is the ability to clear error codes through the screen menu and modify the APS setting for smoother throttle opening, that option went away in 2017.  You now have to buy a scan tool and plug into the bike harness.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I picked up a 2019 Tracer900 last January for an unbelievable price. Throttle response is really not that bad. I also have a 2006 FZ1 and the throttle response on that thing was horrible until I got the ECU reflashed, so I know what bad throttle response is. In fact, I'm not sure I want to get the ECU reflashed on the Tracer. Mode A for me works quite well.

My biggest complaint is vibration. I suspect my throttle bodies need syncing but I haven't had a chance to do that to see if it helps. I'll try and get to the sync soon, but I'm not going to pay $450 for a 600 mile service. I really like the bike but I'm perplexed about the vibration. I don't know whether to try and fix it or sell the thing.

• Confused 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, autiger said:

I'm not sure I want to get the ECU reflashed on the Tracer. Mode A for me works quite well.

My biggest complaint is vibration. I suspect my throttle bodies need syncing but I haven't had a chance to do that to see if it helps. I'll try and get to the sync soon, but I'm not going to pay $450 for a 600 mile service. I really like the bike but I'm perplexed about the vibration. I don't know whether to try and fix it or sell the thing.

I wouldn't pay for the 600 mile service either, no sense paying for something so basic, a sync tool will cost you $100.  An ECU flash is $250 and combined with a TB sync it could smooth out the bike completely.  That beats selling a great bike that you like.

If I sold every bike that didn't suit me off the showroom floor, I wouldn't own a motorcycle.  There has always been something that I wanted or needed to change.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, autiger said:

I picked up a 2019 Tracer900 last January for an unbelievable price. Throttle response is really not that bad. I also have a 2006 FZ1 and the throttle response on that thing was horrible until I got the ECU reflashed, so I know what bad throttle response is. In fact, I'm not sure I want to get the ECU reflashed on the Tracer. Mode A for me works quite well.

Get it back to a dealer, no miles and warranty. Tell them to sort it.