FJ09 Lowering options?

I need to hear from those who have actually lowered the FJ09.

It's a great bike and I have put 2500 miles on it. But it feels way too top heavy for my 5' 10" frame. Right now I can't ride with the confidence I know is there having over 40k mile experience with seat time. 

-Can I swap out the shock/spring and what is the cost?

-What other ways are there to get this bike about 1 to 2 inches lower?

Thanks all

• Premium Member

Careful, the oil pan is already pretty low on this bike, you don't want to spill all your oil when you bottom out......

• Supporting Member

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this subject and a search will reveal more answers/suggestions but from someone who has actually done it and is the same height I can say this: -

1. Lowered my rear end by installing lowering links (Yamaha in my case but there are third party variants which offer lower height)

2. Dropped the front end a similar amount through the triple clamps to keep the geometry same/similar.

3. Got a lowered seat - again a search will reveal some options and prices.

There are rear shocks that have the option to change their length which in turn directly affects the rear height. (I have a K-TECH Razor-R being one that offers this).  I'll let you do a search for the price in your currency.

These things do indeed lower the bike and allowed me to almost flat foot.  As a couple of side effects of this lowering, in my experience, 1 - made the bike stand up a bit more on the side stand but not enough to worry me and 2 - the bike was a little harder to hoist up onto the centre stand.

Some have reported that they scraped the belly/oil pan but I didn't have that experience and I'm sure factors such as terrain travelled over, your weight, suspension capabilities, etc would come into play in that department.

Also, FWIW, I lowered mine for the same reasons you have stated but actually went back to standard height after my confidence became restored and I haven't looked back.  I still have the seat on the lowest position though.

Hope that helps.

My bike = 2015 model.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Testimony from a similar case - 2016 model
 1. Lowered the rear by installing the Yamaha lowering links.
2. Dropped the front end about 5/8 of an inch in the triple clamps to keep the geometry same/similar.
At 5 foot 7, I am still not flat-footed, but I feel more confident when the bike is stopped.  As a couple of side effects of this lowering, in my experience, 1 - made the bike stand up a bit more on the side stand and 2 - the bike was a little harder to hoist up onto the center stand.  This in unavoidable.  I feel the Yamaha lowering links were very carefully designed to allow you to keep the stock sidestand and center stand.  But they don't lower the bike much.  I feel the handling has not changed at all, although I have less ground clearance.  I am satisfied.

Thanks for letting me know of options. 

Can either of you share the size of the lowering links used and what the end result is for lowering?

Will definately check into a lowered seat as well.

Thanks

I'm 5'8" and I had the same issue when I got my 2015 FJ-09.

I went with the low Yamaha seat and it works just fine for me.  I didn't want to mess with lowering the bike and the seat was the right solution for me.  I've taken a good trip over to the Arkansas "pig trail" on it with the lower seat and ride "the dragon" and other great roads in east Tennessee and western NC regularly and am confident I can keep it upright even with the side cases and top case on it. 

I'll probably put my stock seat and Corbin seat up for sale at some point on here.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

5'9" 29" inseam.

Seriously considering lowering links to get flat footed. 

So many options with price varying from $20 -$170 and height reductions from 1/2" to 1.5"

T-rex has a different design than most.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

CNC laser cut from 304 stainless steel, FJ-09 lowering...

Edited by Heli ATP

On 6/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, FB4004 said:

... it feels way too top heavy for my 5' 10" frame.

... What other ways are there to get this bike about 1 to 2 inches lower?

1641386350_Resizeof20200710_134818.thumb.jpg.19503fa141af4a269445dbafb36f92aa.jpg

I got several heel lifts from Amazon for less than $10 a pair. The 1/2 inch lifts fit well in my riding boots, the 1" were crowding me in the boots I had. 

I am 5' 8" and 30" inseam.

307976472_Resizeof20200710_134848.thumb.jpg.199612a1f3f0d7df5160816c54d66772.jpg

These are the half inch (2 pair in box less than $10) and the next ones are full inch, no lift in front of foot area.

Resize of 20200710_134841.jpg

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

i might be the shortest guy on here, im 5'6" i have the oem lowering link in the back, the front tree is lowered about 20 mm, then the front shock is screwed our max, im 143 lbs so not to woried about botoming out altho i have scrubbed once when i was going down a curb thinking i had the clearance.

039DAABC-B9A1-4093-ABA4-1D83CBF7E5EA.jpeg.8bf0a151ad757ea0aca732542c529b2f.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

Nice bike! Love the new ones.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, silverninja said:

Testimony from a similar case - 2016 model
 ...As a couple of side effects of this lowering, in my experience,
...the bike was a little harder to hoist up onto the center stand.  

For center stand issues, get 2 pieces of scrap plywood and place them on the ground about the distance of your front and rear axle.

Drive up on them, and you will have an easier time pulling the bike up on center stand.
Then you can yank the plywood, change tires, adjust the chain, etc.

Why is the original Tracer / FJ-09 taller than the FZ-09 / MT-09?  They had the same frame and subframe supporting the seat.

I know the newer GT models with longer swingarm changed things up a bit.

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently 5'3" (shrunk 2 inches as I've aged to 67 years old).  I weigh 135.  I have about a 29" inseam.  The first and best mod I did while I owned FJR's for 10 years was to add 3/4" to the soles of my riding boots.  (A good shoe repair guy can do it for $60 or less.) One you modify your boots you'll kick yourself for not modifying them years ago.   Second thing I did was carve out the shape of the seat to lower it.  (I got some foam from Sargeant seat company that was denser than stock and modified that into the seat nose and re-installed the Seat Concept cover).  The last thing I did was install a "Hyperpro Lowering Spring" onto the stock shock.  ($150 )  Instructions have you raise the forks in the triple tree about 1/2".  Rear of the bike settles down 1 inch WHEN YOU MOUNT THE BIKE and lowering the front end keeps it all in balance.  All suspension geometry stays the way it was designed.  (Unlike using lowering links which screws up the shock leverage and geometry).  I did end up shortening the sidestand.  (I don't think I would have to shorten it if I left the forks in stock position).  Like someone else suggested, I have a wedge shaped piece of 2 x 4 that I back the rear wheel up onto and the centerstand then works like normal.  I have a 2015 FJ-09 and have ridden it about 35K miles with this mod.  I did add a wooden bead seat pad to the seat for a little more comfort.  Do the boots!!!! Well worth it.  Then go from there.  

I did the Soupy's lowering links that come with adjustable side stand.  I also got Yamaha's lower seat.  

Here's a tip for center stand: use your LEFT foot to stand on the lever arm, full weight, stand on it. Pull up on the passenger handhold at the same time. No blocks required!

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Added the T-Rex lowering link to my '17 FJ  and felt much more comfortable, with the balls of my feet on the ground as opposed to being on my toes. The T-Rex link is solid and well made. Picked up a pair of CALTO G6252 Zipper High-Top Biker Boots which are supposed to add 3.3". I think it is closer to 2" but they got me flat-footed and more stable.  It was recommended to go one size down with those boots but I had to return them for a bigger size due to my wide feet. I did change to an adjustable side stand which is not as solid as the stock one. I may shorten the  stock side stand and re-use it. Center stand needs a little more down pressure but works fine.

I'm the least aggressive rider you will come across so I don't expect issues with bottoming out. For example... currently my mpg's are reading 59.7 😊

Edited by Heli ATP

I'm sure I recently read a new rider introduction from a female rider who is 5'2" and she had lowered her bike, I can't remember the name now (or maybe it was the other forum I am on).

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Got my stock side-stand shortened  by 1.5 inches and powder coated. Much more solid that the aftermarket adjustable stand as an iron bar was put inside (yes it was hollow). The hook for the spring was removed and welded back on after the main leg was cut and welded back together.

Side-stand.jpg