FJ09 Lowering options?

On 6/3/2020 at 12:37 PM, dazzler24 said:

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this subject and a search will reveal more answers/suggestions but from someone who has actually done it and is the same height I can say this: -

1. Lowered my rear end by installing lowering links (Yamaha in my case but there are third party variants which offer lower height)

2. Dropped the front end a similar amount through the triple clamps to keep the geometry same/similar.

3. Got a lowered seat - again a search will reveal some options and prices.

There are rear shocks that have the option to change their length which in turn directly affects the rear height. (I have a K-TECH Razor-R being one that offers this).  I'll let you do a search for the price in your currency.

These things do indeed lower the bike and allowed me to almost flat foot.  As a couple of side effects of this lowering, in my experience, 1 - made the bike stand up a bit more on the side stand but not enough to worry me and 2 - the bike was a little harder to hoist up onto the centre stand.

Some have reported that they scraped the belly/oil pan but I didn't have that experience and I'm sure factors such as terrain travelled over, your weight, suspension capabilities, etc would come into play in that department.

Also, FWIW, I lowered mine for the same reasons you have stated but actually went back to standard height after my confidence became restored and I haven't looked back.  I still have the seat on the lowest position though.

Hope that helps.

My bike = 2015 model.

Hi Mate,
I have the same bike and it was lowered when I purchased it.
but my forks were not lowered. Can you send me a photo of front forks to see what it is like please?

Edited by vancuy

The top of the stock forks are the same height as the top of the triple clamp, you just need to raise them 15mm above the triples. 
No problem at all when I did mine, but I’m only 72kg and have replaced all the suspension with quality gear to suit. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, vancuy said:

Hi Mate,
but my forks were not lowered. Can you send me a photo of front forks to see what it is like please?

As I mentioned in that post, I've returned everything to the stock height since doing that but to address your question - when I installed the lowering links, I had the top of my forks (the gold bits) 10mm above the top triple clamp to 'equalise' the front and back height.

So to be clear, I let the bike 'fall/drop' through the triple clamps by ~10mm.

Hope that helps.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, vancuy said:

...what @dazzler24 and @OZVFR  are describing...

20140716_200559-jpg.7725

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

For you vertically challenged, thicker insoles and hitting the gym are your easiest and healthiest options.

Not my problem as in my yute* I was 6- 1 but being of early primate stock am cursed with incredibly long arms and torso but short inseam.  I'm not complaining as my boarding house reach has kept me well nourished, and 32 inseam pants work well enough went seated though the rear hem drags when I shuffle about.  Finding shirts with 37 sleeves, 18.5" neck and 36 waist was a joke, what I could find fit two of me.  Not so much now days as neck has shrunk an inch and waist expanded but I digress.

*One naturally shrinks as one ages due to creep deflection of spinal discs.  Landing on your head 3 or 4 times doesn't help ones elevation either and also significantly dulls mental acuity.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Not my problem as in my yute* I was 6- 1 but being of early primate stock am cursed with incredibly long arms and torso but short inseam.

I think I may have found a photo of you when you where in your primate prime. 😜

image.png.0ef6f79cd18b7190e3d3501102ed5c53.png

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

LOL Thanks but it's not me, as I always at least wore an open face helmet back in the day, and my hair was halfway down my back and very curly.

When I yanked off my helmet I looked like a Brit magistrate whose wig was caught in a tornado.   Plus my beard was much longer and also curly.  And I'm a Dirty Blond.

It could be a nefew of mine though.

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, OZVFR said:

The top of the stock forks are the same height as the top of the triple clamp, you just need to raise them 15mm above the triples. 
No problem at all when I did mine, but I’m only 72kg and have replaced all the suspension with quality gear to suit. 

Thanks mate, I'll lower mine 15mm soon.

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, vancuy said:

Will lowering front and rear effect the centre stand?

The bike sits a bit more upright, but it hasn’t been a problem. 

Toyed with the idea of shortening the side stand, but so far hasn’t been worth it  

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, dazzler24 said:

As I mentioned in that post, I've returned everything to the stock height since doing that but to address your question - when I installed the lowering links, I had the top of my forks (the gold bits) 10mm above the top triple clamp to 'equalise' the front and back height.

So to be clear, I let the bike 'fall/drop' through the triple clamps by ~10mm.

Hope that helps.

Hi Dazzler,
I lowered front forks by 10mm. I noticed a quite a difference when cornering. easier to countersteer. 
pushed it on a straight road until 150 kms/hr. very stable. Thanks for your advice.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, vancuy said:

Hi Dazzler,
I lowered front forks by 10mm. I noticed a quite a difference when cornering. easier to countersteer. 
pushed it on a straight road until 150 kms/hr. very stable. Thanks for your advice.

I'm no expert but it would seem that in simple terms:-

Drop the front end/raise the rear end and you have yourself a 'sport bike' that behaves like one.

Drop the rear end/raise the front end and you have a 'cruiser/Harley' that behaves like one.

Leave the suspension level (even if you drop/raise the front and back equally) on the Tracer and you'll have a 'Sport Tourer'.

Look up Rake and Trail for motorbikes on the 'you tubes' or the 'interwebs' and you'll get some education on the subject like I did if you are interested.   Many things to learn.

Enjoy the ride either way 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1