Best after market wind screen for Shorti 🙋🏻‍♀️

Lisa

Hey all! I just got my FJ 09 and need to replace the stock windscreen because my guy just scratched the shizz out of it trying to get a sticker off.  I’m  new to this forum and was trying to find any discussions on aftermarket windscreens for shorter people (I’m only 5’4) but I couldn’t find. I bought the Givi 2122DT but it is way too tall for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! 😊 This is my girl “Simona” 😍

DE0331C3-C716-49BF-BD07-48352EACF442.jpeg

84EE5302-BE71-49DF-A4E8-CC33451AB4D6.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Welcome! I'm tall so I may not be much help, but a lot of people here say they have good results just removing the windshield altogether. It's worth a try since it costs $0.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, keithu said:

Welcome! I'm tall so I may not be much help, but a lot of people here say they have good results just removing the windshield altogether. It's worth a try since it costs $0.

Hi @Lisa - Welcome, and congratulations on the new bike... you’re going to love the FJ!  

I was going to suggest exactly what @keithu suggested:  Remove the screen entirely and see what you think.  For me, no screen was much more pleasant than the stock windscreen.   Based on that, I settled on a CalSci tinted shorty screen for my 2015 FJ, and have been very pleased with that choice.  I’m 6’1”, however, so it’s hard to say if it would be right for you.   

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the suggestions! I took the stock screen off last night and will take her out today and see how she rides. I’m looking at the MRA TouringScreen as we speak and it has great reviews, but I’ll also check out the CalSci. Thank you again for your feedback and warm welcome! :)

- Lisa

• Supporting Member

@Lisa - You will find MANY opinions on windscreens on every motorcycle forum, it's very subjective since everyone wants a different end result.  Some want them just big enough to cover the instrument gauge and others want zero exposure to airflow and the elements.

The Parabellum Flyscreen is a nice short screen that doesn't block airflow.  Regardless of the screen used, I still always use earplugs.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@Lisa Another option (if you like the stock screen) is a scratch remover / polish.  Novus makes a kit to remove scratches from plastic and ABS.  You can get it on Amazon.com too but I couldn't get the link to work.

25860.jpg

Scratched plastic windows are the first signs of wear on...

• Thanks 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Welcome to the forum @Lisa. The main problem people have is with tall screens as there is much more scope for turbulence and noise. If you’re going for a shortie then pretty much any of the cheap ebay ones will do fine as you’ll have to accept that you get lots of wind pressure, but at least the flow is clean. I swap to an opaque shorty for summer that just covers the instruments and cost about £15.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

3 hours ago, duhs10 said:

@Lisa Another option (if you like the stock screen) is a scratch remover / polish.  Novus makes a kit to remove scratches from plastic and ABS.  You can get it on Amazon.com too but I couldn't get the link to work.

25860.jpg

Scratched plastic windows are the first signs of wear on...

Yes, this stuff is magic! Start with the #2 to see if it will be enough (it usually is).  This is where I would start, if stock screen functioned well.  This is a good product to have on hand regardless, so you won't be out anything. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Thank you all for the advice! Thank really appreciate it! Took her out for a short spin and no screen is not great for me, so I’ll Def be looking into the suggestions you guys have. Have an awesome day everyone and thank you again for the warm welcome! :)

Thanks Willie! I talked to Don at Cycle Gear yesterday and that was one of the ones he suggested, as well as a Puig double bubble. I haven’t done the Chuckanut loop yet but it’s on the list. I’m still pretty new to riding and the FJ09 is a lot of bike for a new rider so I’m working my comfort level up to sharp corners and  roads with cliffs. 😆 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Thanks Willie! I talked to Don at Cycle Gear yesterday and that was one of the ones he suggested, as well as a Puig double bubble. I haven’t done the Chuckanut loop yet but it’s on the list. I’m still pretty new to riding and the FJ09 is a lot of bike for a new rider so I’m working my comfort level up to sharp corners and  roads with cliffs. 😆 

@Lisa - If you aren't aware, the FJ has 3 ride modes and B-mode has a very tame throttle response, perfect for a new rider getting familiar with the bike. 

Ride safe.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Lisa - If you aren't aware, the FJ has 3 ride modes and B-mode has a very tame throttle response, perfect for a new rider getting familiar with the bike. 

Ride safe.

Excellent advice.

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current