Got my Tenere 700 today

Cruizin

• Supporting Member

@Cruizin - Very nice!  It only took a few years for Yamaha to finally deliver, it should be a fun ride.  What are the extra boxes inside the shipping crate?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just got home from breaking it in. Amazing bike, love the CP2 engine. Revs for days, the suspension isn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

Handles extremely well. Got 51 MPG on my trip and I was revving the hell out of it and doing alot of engine braking to seat the rings. 

Gonna go see some dirtroads tomorrow. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, betoney said:

What are the extra boxes inside the shipping crate?

Windscreen and side windshields(2), front fender, fork tube covers, owners manual, tool kit, 4mm allen wrench for seat removal, handguards, mounting brackets, bar ends, a bunch of fasteners and other hardware, and mirrors.

Anyone want to argue about how a dealership can charge a set-up fee? There you go...

Congrats @Cruizin!

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Windscreen and side windshields(2), front fender, fork tube covers, owners manual, tool kit, 4mm allen wrench for seat removal, handguards, mounting brackets, bar ends, a bunch of fasteners and other hardware, and mirrors.

Anyone want to argue about how a dealership can charge a set-up fee? There you go...

I agree, I'm friends with the guys at my dealership and they let me in back when they un-crated and setup my bike, it was quite a bit more than just bolting on the front wheel and checking the fluids. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, keithu said:

So would you say this is a spiritual successor to the KLR650?

Oh hell, this thing would run circles around a KLR and i think it will do really well on the dirt too.  My only goal for tomorrow is to get this bike filthy dirty.  I'll report back.  Suspension really surprised me.  Alot better than my FJ09 was, worlds better than my MT09 was. Just needs to be revalved and resprung for my weight. 

• Thumbsup 7

I'd say it share a lot of DNA with it's cousins FJ and MT!.

Hope you find some nice mud ASAP.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Looks like it might be time to sell off the KLR. Thanks alot @Cruizin 😉 Enjoy your new ride and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on her.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Oh hell, this thing would run circles around a KLR and i think it will do really well on the dirt too. 

Obviously the performance will be way beyond the KLR. But I wonder if people might buy the T7 to do the same things they did with KLRs, i.e. long adventures on mixed pavement and gravel, but without all the mass, complexity, and expense of a big ADV like the R1250GS.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

Obviously the performance will be way beyond the KLR. But I wonder if people might buy the T7 to do the same things they did with KLRs, i.e. long adventures on mixed pavement and gravel, but without all the mass, complexity, and expense of a big ADV like the R1250GS.

if people have the opportunity to ride them both, i think they would go for the tenere all day long. the klr was way under powered on the road for me when i test rode it at americade, and it sounded like it had marbles for engine oil! with it having the fz-07 engine which is 10hp more than my comparable versys 650, there is no comparison between the klr and the tenere which has DOUBLE the hp of the klr. i could definitely see having the tenere as the second bike next to my fj-09!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, trevinator said:

if people have the opportunity to ride them both, i think they would go for the tenere all day long. the klr was way under powered on the road for me when i test rode it at americade, and it sounded like it had marbles for engine oil! with it having the fz-07 engine which is 10hp more than my comparable versys 650, there is no comparison between the klr and the tenere which has DOUBLE the hp of the klr. i could definitely see having the tenere as the second bike next to my fj-09!

You got to  remember the old  KLR650 has probably been around longer than you have. It's kind of like the old WW2 Willys Jeep. The KLR isn't fast or as light as more modern adventure bikes. But in the right hands with the proper tire"s can do some amazing things and is one of the choice bikes for third world tours because of it's simplicity.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.