Can you see me now?

2linby

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I tried putting that into Google Translate and the only result I got was "WTF?" 🤷‍♀️

He's saying he's an old guy in that.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

My 2-pc any color you want as long as it's all Black Classic is at least 26 years young and still in great shape.  I keep it clean and treat it with DWR.  The main jacket zipper is a little fiddley to engage at the bottom, and the front pocket reflector patch is a bit worn.  I've had them add some arm/body gussets as I've, uh, expanded.  But it fits me like a glove.  I used to wear a Super See-Me vest, still have the second but it's a bit worn and lost some reflectivity.  Have a newer Adaptiv Technologies (also maker of a great MC radar detector) GlowRider Electro-Luminescent Vest which runs on 2 AAA batteries.  I wear it in the city and at night.  But I have a Kisan Electronics headlight modulator (on all my bikes) which I developed with them for all Yamahas with LED headlights, as well as a second low-tone high db horn.  I also added LED side marker strips, rear brake light, driving lights, and installed the OEM front TS/RL on the rear (adding a 3rd wire) and installed LED "bulbs" all around along with a low-draw TS relay.  I'm terrified of being rear ended, if your interested I can tell you stories.  I have a dayglow Rev-It! jacket and Scorpion full-face helmet (I prefer flip-fronts) but I think a flashing headlight during the day and driving, side and brake lights along with a loud horn are more effective than bright colors.  I started as a MC messenger in San Francisco in the early 70's, and commuted to the Chicago Loop for prolly 15 years until cell phones, GPS and video screens became too prevalent.  Cagers are half brain dead mouth breathers, and I just wish I had front and rear rocket launchers to wake em up!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, 2linby said:

My current suit is 13 years old, so its very well broken in and the R3 is almost brand new and stiff as hell. They take a long time to break in. That being said, it is much lighter without the liner. Zippers are the seal behind...

Thanks for the details. Always curious about experienced rider's impressions. I replaced a 13 year old Roadcrafter with a Klim jacket and either Aerostich AD1 pants or Aerostich jeans. I read @keithu 's recommendation about a 2 piece for too many years.

• Thumbsup 1

That is the perfect color if you ride to your deer stand here in the north! Or love Creamsicles, as mentioned. 

I replaced a 20-year-old classic one piece with a new classic one piece three years ago. The old one made you look like you pissed your pants if you rode in any rainfall (even after pulling up the crotch folds). My new classic, with the new zipper, doesn't let any water through. I have had to replace one or two zipper pulls already. I like the lining on the classic -  in Wisconsin it is more often cold than hot when riding, and it is harder to stay warm than to keep cool. 

I absolutely love the one piece. I considered a two piece as the replacement, but the one piece is so fast and easy - especially important as a commuter suit, IMO. I would never ride with just a top or just a bottom. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kmev said:

the one piece is so fast and easy - especially important as a commuter suit, IMO.

This may seem counterintuitive but I actually find the two piece to be faster and easier for commuting. It's one of the main reasons I prefer it. Yes, there are three main zippers instead of two, but on the two piece you start both the jacket and left leg zipper at waist level, which is a lot easier than starting the one piece zipper up at your neck where you can't see it. IME there is no time difference between donning the one and two piece suits.

Added advantage for commuting: when I arrive at work I can unzip the jacket while I walk from the parking lot to my office. With the one piece I have to keep it zipped up for this walk, so in the summer I arrive at my desk a little sweatier.

• Thumbsup 1

55 minutes ago, keithu said:

Added advantage for commuting: when I arrive at work I can unzip the jacket while I walk from the parking lot to my office. With the one piece I have to keep it zipped up for this walk, so in the summer I arrive at my desk a little sweatier.

I guess it depends on where you work. For my job, I take the one-piece suit off with 1.5 zippers at the bike, slip my Combat Lite boots off in 1.2 seconds, and walk into work in shorts and flip-flops as cool and unsweaty as anything you could imagine exactly 2.7 seconds after setting the kickstand. 

Honestly - you can't go wrong with any of the Aerostich line. Try both on if you can to see what works for you. You won't be disappointed with either.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, kmev said:

Honestly - you can't go wrong with any of the Aerostich line. Try both on if you can to see what works for you. You won't be disappointed with either.  

Absolutely. I love my R3, it is a great suit. I think the two piece has some advantages, but for many people they aren't relevant.

• Premium Member

I don't commute anymore.  In dry warmer but not hot weather I wear my old Classic jacket often with my even older Fieldsheer perforated leather sport type pants; I have an identical pair in solid leather.  Great leathers.  In mild to hot weather I have several other jacket and pants mix n match options.  But if it's cooler and there's a chance of rain, the Stitch 2 piece was until the last 5+ years my go-to choice until I bit the bullet when I heard they were discontinuing the Transit 2 GorePro waterproof, solar treated leather two piece suit. The Transit 2 is not HiViz and may take a bit longer to don but it's still easy as the pants have full- length zippers, the lining is soft and slick, and the armor makes you feel like Superman!  They recently restarted offering the Transit but the new version is not GorePro leather or treated the same for solar reflectance, which is why it's cheaper. Yes the T2 was about as expensive as it gets for a non-racing suit, bar an almost comparable BMW suit and Rukka non-leather Gore-Tex Pro suits, and again, it's anything but HiViz (the Rukka has some HiViz stripping and a removable thermal lining) but I figured it was going to be the last suit I buy and the $ per year ratio would still make it worth it.  I also had their original Combat Touring Boots for years but found them clumsy for only street use so I had then resoled and sold them for more than I paid for them. TCX Gore-Tex boots are my preferred maker because they run wider than Sidi and even A*.

• Thumbsup 1