2020 tracer 900 gt

Smoother than some, buzzier then others.

With no frame of reference, it's like trying to quantify orange vs. yellow to a blind person.

What have you driven lately?

• Premium Member

my $.02:  since it's a subjective measure, and no one can answer it to your satisfaction but you, you should find any of the bikes with Yamaha Triples and try one.

If you're on a new bike (2019) and unhappy in less than a year not a good sign.  The weight didn't increase on that bike after you got it.

I put 46k miles on an FJR in the past.  The triple is not as smooth as a inline 4 (go figure) but no problem for me.  It's lighter, more narrow, and MUCH cooler than any 4 cylinder.

YMMV.

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Mark Barulich said:

I'm currently on a 2019 fjr 1300es. I'm looking for something smooth but lighter in weight. 650lbs is a bit heavy for me at 170 lbs. Thanks for your input.

The Tracer is around 170# lighter and has much more agile handling.  The motor feels more 'eager' than the FJR but with 1/3 less displacement it will not have the "pull your arms from their sockets" drive of the FJR, nor will it have the relaxed cruising rpm, the motor likes to rev and is very happy between 5 and 8K rpm.

If you are riding with a passenger, the Tracer is smaller than the FJR and could be considered more cramped in comparison but it also has more seat to foot peg leg room.

Even though it has a lot of nice features it might feel like a step down in creature comforts (especially since you are spoiled with the electric windscreen and suspension) but is perfectly capable of multi-day road trips with a few ergonomic modifications (custom seat).

Most importantly, this forum community is much nicer (in my experience) than the FJR group.😎👍

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for your input. I don't ride with a passenger. (Wife is afraid). I've had many different motorcycles in my life. 70 years old now and only 170 lbs. Just want something lighter, more agile for weekend trips. I ride with a Harley friend. We never go for more than 300 miles in a day. 

• Like 2

I have a ’15, so to the extent the ’20 is different, take that into account.

For me, more important than smoothness is the character of the motor. My FJ’s current stable mates include an SV650 and a K200GT, so my comparison is with those.  I would characterize the FJ as “Anxiously ready to go.” Think of a hyperactive kid, who has a hard time holding still. Even when he stands still you can almost feel him quivering with energy, he’s just wound up and ready to cut loose. That’s what my FJ-09 feels like to me.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

28 minutes ago, Mark Barulich said:

Thanks for your input. I don't ride with a passenger. (Wife is afraid). I've had many different motorcycles in my life. 70 years old now and only 170 lbs. Just want something lighter, more agile for weekend trips. I ride with a Harley friend. We never go for more than 300 miles in a day. 

I am 59 years old, 6 foot one inch and 175 pounds.  I think you will really like the bike.  I recently did three back to back 350 mile days on two lane roads and can not wait to go again!!  You will likely need to change the seat and the windscreen but that should be about all you would need.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

The Tracer vibrate a litle bit at higher rpm but you don't need to be in that rpm range if you don't want to. The Tracer is ok even at lower rpm, something i like big times! 

You will get a bit more noise and wind on the Tracer han on the FJR. 

The Tracer feels sportier and the position is better for the lower back. 

I switched from an FJR to the Tracer, and I love it. The engine is not as butter-smooth as the big FJR, but it is 200lbs lighter. The Tracer is so much more fun than the FJR in all areas but long freeway stretches, but even there the Tracer it isn't bad. 

I've had my Tracer GT for about a month and several thousand miles.  My two previous bikes were a Vstrom 650 and a Honda ST1300.  The ST1300 was the smoothest bike I've ridden and the Vstrom was plenty smooth.  Honestly, when I first got the Tracer GT I wasn't sure it was going to work out with the vibes.  However, I've gotten used to them and they do not bother me any more.  I do have FJR pegs and grip puppies which help.  The Vstrom and Tracer GT are very similar weights but the Tracer GT is much easier to move around (not that the Vstrom was bad).  I've loved that.  I also had to get used to the foot position, which is farther back than the Vstrom.  However, I've seen people post that the Tracer GT has more leg room that the FJR.  I'm really liking the bike now but it does need a new seat.