Throttle grip lateral movement

I received my new Tracer GT on Friday. Today I took it for a 400+ tour and noticed that the throttle grip has lateral movement (left-right). I can’t remember how much (if any) movement there was on my first Tracer GT but I got the feeling the new one has more.

Does anyone know how much movement there should be? I find it a bit annoying tbh.

That's less than I have. I made a short clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhL-P8nCjOJ9lHwIZvNICNZcJknP

The owner of my previous Tracer GT was kind enough to make a short clip as well, as you can see it has much less movement.:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhL-P8nCjOJ9lH1y3vKVNxGDH48W

I made an appointment with the dealer as they told me it is not something I can easily fix myself. And of course it is a warranty thing.

• Supporting Member

@Michiel900GT - The first video looks like the lateral movement on my 2015.  I don't move my throttle side to side so never noticed it until you brought it up.  Let us what you know what you find with the warranty claim.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

58 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Michiel900GT - The first video looks like the lateral movement on my 2015.  I don't move my throttle side to side so never noticed it until you brought it up.  Let us what you know what you find with the warranty claim.

I will let you know.

48 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

FYI this is well documented across the entire FZ/MT lineup. They all do it to some extent, some worse than others, some hardly at all.

I find it annoying at best. I hope the dealer will/can fix it.

I just looked at mine, and it does the same thing, I just never noticed. I then looked at my SV650 and it does it even more, and then looked at my K1200 and it also does it. It appears I'm fairly immune to it. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Yep, watched the video and seems exactly the same as mine. I have noticed it before but i can't say it bothers me. Every bike ive had has done it to some extent, I'm sure my 2016 Triumph speed triple was worse. 

Still id rather have it a little too loose than no movement and there being a chance some muck or whatever gets in there and causes it to bind. 

• Thumbsup 2

Mine has the same sort of free play only noticed it after I fitted the Yamaha heated grips. but installed with the original hand guard fitting NOT the replacement that came in the package with the grips. Gave me good "cruise control" when I switched the grips on and acted like a throttle lock when they had heated up to temp. Replacement was quickly fitted. Bear in mind that we need that little bit of free play if you are asking for it to be adjusted by the dealership.

So I gave the dealer a visit. While the mechanic was working on my bike I checked two new Tracer GT in the showroom to see how much lateral movement the throttle grip had on those bikes. They basically had the same as mine.

The mechanic then called my into the workshop and showed me there really wasn’t much he could do about it. He showed the open handlebar and indeed, there was nothing to do besides putting another ring on the handle bar, but with the risk the throttle would stay open when you let it go. That’s not something I want to risk.

It seems like all (new) Tracers have this, so I’ll learn to live/ride with it. I guess my first bike was just an exception (be it a welcome one though).