Unidentified Remaining Part

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Haha.. looks a lot worse than it is..but yes, good idea. 👍

Ideally you should remove all the corrosion first, with either silicon-based sandpaper or aluminum oxide cloth. Do not use steel wool, brass wool, or any other dissimilar metal. Then paint it to prevent further corrosion. Just covering it with ACF or something will mostly (but not entirely) prevent further corrosion. Aluminum is prone to fatigue and cracking due to corrosion, in some regards even worse than steel.

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Fix it?  Or just prevent it?

Both, allegedly. There are claims it fixes and prevents corrosion. Personally I’d do roughly as @keithu suggested, rub down with a scotchbrite pad, then smear on ACF50 with a cloth.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Acf50 is brilliant stuff. When applied to metal, it will protect the finish for a long time, working like a barrier and also stop any corrosion getting worse.  Also good on black plastic, deepens the colour if your dedicated rag is handy. 

I rubbed that bit with a rag and a little acf50 on afterwards, but it really wasn't much, looked bad in pic for some reason. 

• Thumbsup 2

I believe that is to prevent the rubber plug from escaping.  I have to take that off, then take the rubber plug with the arrow on it out to move the lever, to remove the front seat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine went in the trash the first time I adjusted my seat :)

Lol, mine too, other than being an inconvenience, I never saw the purpose of it.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

Lol, mine too, other than being an inconvenience, I never saw the purpose of it.

Allegedly, anti-theft, to stop the front seat from being removable without requiring the key in the rear seat.

I tried it, out of curiosity and found I could get the front seat off, with the rear in place, if the rubber was absent. Quite what a thief would do then is where I get lost.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, BBB said:

Allegedly, anti-theft, to stop the front seat from being removable without requiring the key in the rear seat.

I tried it, out of curiosity and found I could get the front seat off, with the rear in place, if the rubber was absent. Quite what a thief would do then is where I get lost.

Interesting.  What exactly would a thief want under the seat?🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***