New Owner Here w/ Track Day Pics

• Supporting Member

Great findings, thanks for the write up!  ...I"ve been wishing for a track day, mostly just to get to know the bike better and see what it...and I...can do.  Looks like a great day!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fireman1028 said:

#2 I found that I was bottoming out the forks on hard braking, even with the preload all the way in. I probably won't address this, since I don't plan on taking the Tracer to the track very often.

I would absolutely address this issue, you use the brakes and suspension for more than track riding but most importantly - since you carry a passenger.  At a minimum get the proper rate springs for your weight to help reduce the brake dive, the stock springs are aimed at someone who probably weighs 140-170lbs.  The correct rate springs front and rear might cost you $250.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

I would absolutely address this issue, you use the brakes and suspension for more than track riding but most importantly - since you carry a passenger.  At a minimum get the proper rate springs for your weight to help reduce the brake dive, the stock springs are aimed at someone who probably weighs 140-170lbs.  The correct rate springs front and rear might cost you $250.

You are correct. What I meant to say was that I am not going to address that right now. That will probably be an off-season project. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, fireman1028 said:

You are correct. What I meant to say was that I am not going to address that right now. That will probably be an off-season project. 

You have the GT so you have adjustable rebound and compression in the fork👍  HUGE improvement over previous models.  Correct springs and a few clicker adjustments should get you set up nicely.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

I’m interested to know if you had no touchdown with the center stand and how much do you weigh? 

I think I had one scrape on the center-stand. I made it a point to ride at 8/10's. Considering OEM touring tires and a lack of crash protection. 

I am 200lbs in my birthday suit and probably 220-230lbs with my leathers, boots, etc. 

• Thumbsup 1

I’ve been to that track a few times. Last time I crashed my ex’s R6 going into 1 way too hot, that was a fun phone call I made to her after my session. I’m 180 and the suspension seems ok for my weight but I will find out soon. I’m installing Mich 5s so I’m hopeful they are better than the stock Dunlop’s. Thanks for the pics and info

• Thumbsup 1

59 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

I’ve been to that track a few times. Last time I crashed my ex’s R6 going into 1 way too hot, that was a fun phone call I made to her after my session. I’m 180 and the suspension seems ok for my weight but I will find out soon. I’m installing Mich 5s so I’m hopeful they are better than the stock Dunlop’s. Thanks for the pics and info

I love the track and it helps that it is only an hour from my house. The only downside, is that it will chew up a rear tire(see above) in one day. Most of the seasoned guys that run it on a regular basis run slicks, so they can flip the rear tire. 

Is she your Ex because of the wrecked R6? Asking for a friend...

• Thumbsup 1

That's awesome OP! I recommend getting the suspension sorted ASAP. 

Also, CMP announced they're officially repaving soon. That's going to be a wicked track when tires last more than 1 day haha!

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Cool stuff!!

I put EBC HH pads in front and they are much better than stock.  A worthwhile upgrade for about $75.

Braking is not the FJ / Tracer's strong suit for sure.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

19 hours ago, koth442 said:

That's awesome OP! I recommend getting the suspension sorted ASAP. 

Also, CMP announced they're officially repaving soon. That's going to be a wicked track when tires last more than 1 day haha!

I can't wait for it to be repaved. Maybe with some decent asphalt, I will have the nerve to take the "kink" with some speed....

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...