Need a chain.

endz2end

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks and want a quality, long lasting chain, get the D.I.D. ZVM-X chain in 525 pitch.  You can find all sorts of options on replacing sprockets.  Aluminum is lighter but will not last as long.  I would recommend steel sprockets.  You could go with OEM Yamaha parts or check with a place like the Sprocket Center for other options.  There are also some aluminum sprockets with steel tooth rings that are popular but they can be a bit pricey.  Get a good chain breaker / rivet tool for the job.  If this will be your first time replacing chain and sprockets take your time.  It's not hard but if you mess up your new chain it can be an expensive mistake. 

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Its hard to go wrong with Sprocket Center.  I have used them for years with zero issues and their customer support is outstanding.  I have had questions and they always respond promptly.

They have all of the specs in their data base so even if you change your final drive with different size sprockets, they will send the chain cut to length for your specific configuration.

Their Superlite sprockets are VERY high quality.  On my last chain change I decided to keep the same sprockets on the bike and even going through 2 chains, I compared the sprockets side by side with brand new ones and couldn't find any perceptible wear.

A word of caution, since you have never replaced a chain before, it requires a special tool for removing pins as well as riveting the new master link and you don't want to over flare the pins or it will be too tight and possibly kink.  If in doubt, have the dealer do it for you.

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

+1 on Sprocket Center which I found through this site (probably a post from @betoney). Since I only need a new chain every 3 years or so, I used an EK chain with a screw on master link instead of one requiring a chain tool.

There are also clip links that don't require a special tool. I think @texscottyd uses those on his FJ.

3 hours ago, endz2end said:

What if I don't need sprockets, does it matter about a 520 or 525? Or what is different about those other sprockets, what would I notice. 

You can switch to a 520 but on this bike it would be of little value.  The idea being that a 520 chain and sprockets will have less resistance but will probably not last as long.  I would stick with a 525 set and a rivet type master link.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, endz2end said:

What if I don't need sprockets, does it matter about a 520 or 525? Or what is different about those other sprockets, what would I notice. 

If you plan on keeping the 525 sprockets and only plan on buying a new chain then you need to buy a 525 pitch chain to fit the sprockets.  You can't use a 520 pitch chain on 525 sprockets, it doesn't fit.  If you want to swap to 520 then both sprockets and chain all need to be replaced as a set.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, endz2end said:

What if I don't need sprockets, 

Replacing sprockets is best if they show wear. A worn sprocket will wear the chain more quickly. Many riders replace both sprockets every time they replace the chain. 

I have replaced the front sprocket with each chain (3 so far). The rear sprocket was a little worn when I replaced the chain for the third time, so I replaced it then.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
On 6/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, 1moreroad said:

+1 on Sprocket Center...

There are also clip links that don't require a special tool. I think @texscottyd uses those on his FJ.

I have run those clip style master links on my race bikes, where I change gearing frequently and need to adjust chain lengths.   

On my FJ, however, I just went with the DID VX chain and a traditional rivet style master link.  I also got the kit from Sprocket Center, and recommend them for price, availability, and customer service.   

I have just purchased a new chain and sprockets.  I'm still on my original drive train and frankly hadn't expected to need to change it yet having only done 20 000 km / 12 000 miles.  However after recent rides I have noticed som red staining around a number of links.  I initially thought it was dust or soil picked up from the road.  However after some research I've come to the conclusion that it is very fine powdered rust that is being pushed out from the rollers, presumably from inside links where the o-rings have given up the ghost.  My sprockets are in great condition and look hardly worn, as does the chain itself but I think quite a few links have stiffened up.

As I say I am somewhat surprised because I am very pedantic with my chain maintenance.  I did however remember that at my annual service a couple of years ago the mechanic mentioned that he had steam cleaned the chain.  At the time I didn't think much of it but now in hindsight I would think that blasting hot steam at o-rings is probably not good for them.

Anyway having found my local online motorcycle parts dealer was having a sale I decided to splash out on a high quality D.I.D. 525 ZVMX X-ring chain and JT sprockets, damped at the front.  

The kit arrives tomorrow, so I'll be fitting it this weeked.

CS

• Thumbsup 3

I just turned 12k miles and also have red rust and some stiff links around the length of the chain.  Interesting!

Like you I am very good about chain cleaning and wax maintenance. I bought my FJ with 3k miles on it so who knows how the chain was treated by previous owner.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

I just turned 12k miles and also have red rust and some stiff links around the length of the chain.

I also maintain my chain regularly and found the same thing at about the same mileage.  I tried lubing it a LOT more than normal but that didn't help.  When checking tension, I found tight sections, certain sections were too tight and others were way too loose.  Riding was not enjoyable, at certain rpms it would lurch and when slowing down it would slap loudly.🤬👎   

Straight to the trash with it.

• Thumbsup 1

That is very interesting that more of us have had the same issue.  The D.I.D fitted to our bikes from the factory is the V0 model which according to the following page is their base model o-ring chain for road bikes.

header-chains.jpg

D.I.D motorcycle chains are among the best in the world. Check...

Whilst trawling YouTube I also found the following D.I.D video and in it they recommend changing x-ring chains every 15 to 20 000 km.  Which I think is crap!

Looks like our standard chains have built in obsolescence!

CS