Strange shifting issue.

My 2019 GT is three weeks past the one year warranty.  Had a few instances where it would not go into gear when upshifting.  Shift lever goes all the way up to the stop but with no shift.  This happens when shifting from fourth into fifth.....shift lever hits end of stroke but transmission is still in 4th.  Sounds like a possible shift fork or dog gear issue.  No grinding and no abnormal noise.....just no shift.  If I release and pull again then it shifts.  Strange.  Bike has never been abused and I rarely use the quick shifter.  Just got back from a 130 mile ride and it did this four times.  When it does shift as it should it feels completely normal.   Hoping I don't have a bent shift fork.  

Anyone else ever experience this??  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

2015 FJ and it does this usually on a downshift between 4th and 3rd occasionally an upshift. Shifter moves, but I never feel it click into gear. Gear indicator number disappears. Usually in a couple of tries I can get it into 3rd. Three times I've had to roll out of traffic and then duck walk it until I can find 3rd then I can drop it back to N. It's happened maybe 1 or 2 dozen times at most in 24k miles.

Johnmark, Is your clutch adjusted properly? Should have 10-20mm of free play when measured at the end of the lever with engine COLD and bars straight ahead.  Chain tension/road speed can also affect shifting smoothness.  Be sure that the shifter (which you contact with your boot) is snug on the end of the shift shaft (one Allen head bolt secures it, 5mm)

What you’re describing doesn’t sound like a bent fork, I doubt anything in the transmission is faulty. However, something may be going on with the shift shaft and the way the spring sits on the pin, or possibly with the way the “teeth” of the shift shaft grab and actuate the shift drum. Perhaps it’s even as simple as a loose bolt on the shift drum, or a broken spring. Either way, the clutch will have to be removed and the shaft taken out for a full inspection. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

1 minute ago, 1moreroad said:

2015 FJ and it does this usually on a downshift between 4th and 3rd occasionally an upshift. Shifter moves, but I never feel it click into gear. Gear indicator number disappears. Usually in a couple of tries I can get it into 3rd. Three times I've had to roll out of traffic and then duck walk it until I can find 3rd then I can drop it back to N. It's happened maybe 1 or 2 dozen times at most in 24k miles.

1more - did you get the recall/updated shift shaft?

-Skip

Not with the Tracer but I had a similar sounding issue with the Diversion 900 I once owned. The gear shift return spring had broken. the bike would change down the gears but to change up I had to lift the foot lever let it drop to reset then on the second lift it would change up. I used it like that for a few days till the replacement arrived. Looking at the repair manual the set up looks different on the tracer but I wonder if the return spring might be stretched or broken.

I would just try adjusting the shift lever rod, perhaps by shortening it a touch and see if that helps. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Is this with clutch change only or QS aswel.?  

When using the clutch.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

The Tracer/FJ really likes to have the shift lever fully "reset" back to its resting point between shifts... if you have any pressure on the shift lever between shifts it could cause what you are describing to hapoen. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

You've had the bike for a while so I assume you are used to it at this point... Does this happen more often while shifting quickly between gears or at random times? Have you changed boots recently? 

Try adjusting the lever so that it comes to its resting point a bit above your boot.

• Thumbsup 4

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks for all the replies.  I will inspect the items that have been suggested and pay attention to how I am using the shifter the next time out.  Sounds like it there is a problem it will be with the shifter / shaft / return spring and should not be too hard to fix.

Cheers all...…..John 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

Yes.  I think @duhs10 is describing my issue pretty well.  The bike wants a deliberate shift and punishes any sloppiness.

• Thumbsup 2

17 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

I am going to guess this recall for the shift shaft you are referring to probably does not affect later models such as my 2019?  This is the first I have heard of a recall for shift shafts.

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

I am going to guess this recall for the shift shaft you are referring to probably does not affect later models such as my 2019?  This is the first I have heard of a recall for shift shafts.

Yes, 2015, models only (IIRC...)

no open recalls or bulletins for newer models.

-S