Strange shifting issue.

My 2015 does a false shift between 2-3 under hard acceleration. It's kind of annoying when I'm trying to get a jump on traffic at a stoplight . 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 1 month later...

my first ride out from zero km on the odometer, now i clock 500km, been happening only on downshift, the gear indicator just go blank especially bike slowing down and especially when trying to drop 2 gears, initially tot did not engage the clutch lever fully (i adjusted closer to fit my asian hand), subsequently i re-adjust the cluth further, just to ensure the clutch are function and yet, it still sometimes gave me these blank screen. when these happen i release the clutch almost out and the screen is back on. i suspect it has got to do with the gear shifter.  coming to 1,000km, will bring it to Yamaha HQ for 1st service and will ask the mechanic there if its a known problem or my riding problem. 

• 1 month later...

Try the easy, cheap things first. Always. carefully peel back the 2 rubber covers on the shift rod. Clean and relube. pull the shift lever at the same time and lube that pivot.

Lube or replace clutch cable. Lube clutch lever pivot.

How long since last oil change? Try a different oil?

thinking...

got to look at dates on posts.

Edited by peteinpa
my dementia