I test rode a Niken today...

betoney

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, Stew said:

It just looks so wierd though, but a great write up, sounds like you had a good time.
Question is, would you buy one?

I would like to give it a full day test ride, maybe 300-400 miles in all different conditions.

I would absolutely put it on the list of possible bikes, in no way would I NOT consider it.  I came away very impressed.

When I finished the demo ride I was talking to one of the safety riders and he said the reaction is exactly the same as yours "It looks so weird"... until they ride it and then the reaction is usually like mine.   He said its one of those bikes that no one wants to like but then they usually come away very surprised.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I test rode one back in March. Like you, I thought it felt just like a two wheeler on the move. A very confidence inspiring front end. I found it unusual (obviously) thinking of three lines on the road surface where the wheels would be tracking, when looking for holes/gravel etc. You'd get used to that though. Probably wouldn't buy one, unless I won silly money on lotto! But it was good satisfy my interest in how it rode.

• Thumbsup 1

15 hours ago, betoney said:

I would like to give it a full day test ride, maybe 300-400 miles in all different conditions.

I would absolutely put it on the list of possible bikes, in no way would I NOT consider it.  I came away very impressed.

When I finished the demo ride I was talking to one of the safety riders and he said the reaction is exactly the same as yours "It looks so weird"... until they ride it and then the reaction is usually like mine.   He said its one of those bikes that no one wants to like but then they usually come away very surprised.

Aye, that makes sense. I never think about what my bike looks like when I am on it.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

While I don’t think owning one is in my immediate future, really do want to find a way to test ride one...  

Yes, you owe it to yourself to at least try it and see for yourself. 

I am always open to try something new and I certainly applaud Yamaha for releasing something so radical, I hope this urges other manufacturers to try something new and different.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, koth442 said:

I want to put one on the race track. Could trail brake so deep. 

I've thought about that, too.  But then I visualize myself bouncing the inside front wheel over curbs and into trackside gravel, and wonder how it would actually feel in practice.   But as @betoney said, I totally respect the engineer efforts, and commend Yamaha on trying something so radically different.    I'm really intrigued, and look forward to riding one at some point. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Thanks for the write up of your experience with the Nikon,  @betoney!  While I don’t think owning one is in my immediate future, really do want to find a way to test ride one...  

Last year, right after it came out my local dealer had a demo and he wanted to take it home for the night. Like a fool I turned down his offer, I just didn't have any interest in it at the time. I sure regret that decision now.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.