I test rode a Niken today...

betoney

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Last year, right after it came out my local dealer had a demo and he wanted to take it home for the night. Like a fool I turned down his offer, I just didn't have any interest in it at the time. I sure regret that decision now.

If I had the chance to ride one for a full day or overnight trip, I would absolutely ride the wheels off of it. 

Worst case scenario, you put the curiosity to rest and conclude either "Meh, its not for me" or "Damn, that was impressive".

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, betoney said:

If I had the chance to ride one for a full day or overnight trip, I would absolutely ride the wheels off of it. 

Worst case scenario, you put the curiosity to rest and conclude either "Meh, its not for me" or "Damn, that was impressive".

I will  just have to wait for the Yamaha demo truck to arrive this summer and take it out. I really want to spend some time on the Tenere 700, that bike is high on the must have list.

• Thumbsup 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I will  just have to wait for the Yamaha demo truck to arrive this summer and take it out. I really want to spend some time on the Tenere 700, that bike is high on the must have list.

I rode the full size Tenere on that same day.  Would never buy one of them.  Also rode the MT10 and that is a premium ticket ride for sure. Interestingly, all three bikes I rode had clutchless shifting and I still think I'm okay without it.  With my 2017 model,  I could upgrade but I won't be doing that. Do love the slipper clutch on downshifts though.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, fjray said:

I rode the full size Tenere on that same day.  Would never buy one of them.

I have also ridden the full sized Tenere in the past and felt the same way, I wanted to like it but the motor was characterless and boring to me.  It has a lot of great features but its also close to 600 lbs and kind of top heavy.  I didn't hate it but it didn't "wow' me.  I would like to ride it side by side with the Africa Twin.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, fjray said:

Do love the slipper clutch on downshifts though.

Doesn't the FJ have a slipper clutch?  Or is that something else they added for the Tracers?  As to the quickshifter, well, nobody needs one at all but they sure as hell are fun.  Mine (also stock on the Tracer) gets pretty extensive use.

I'd love to ride a Niken.  I seriously considered one instead of the Tracer, to be honest, but ended up not going that way because it's ultimately just (significantly) more weight, complexity and expense but no more power.  Particularly problematic in greatly increasing tire costs, which are already stupid in Canada.  I mean, a set of Road 5's installed on loose rims runs you around $650 here, with just two tires.  It'd be around $900 for three.  

It'd be a fun conversation piece for sure to own one, if nothing else.  

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Doesn't the FJ have a slipper clutch?  Or is that something else they added for the Tracers?

The '15 and '16 FJ did NOT have the slip/assist clutch, it is an upgrade kit you can buy from Part Shark.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:05 AM, betoney said:

I have also ridden the full sized Tenere in the past and felt the same way, I wanted to like it but the motor was characterless and boring to me.  It has a lot of great features but its also close to 600 lbs and kind of top heavy.  I didn't hate it but it didn't "wow' me.  I would like to ride it side by side with the Africa Twin.

I hate to not give Yamaha the nod, but the A Twin over a super ten wins hands down. The new model is really nice too, good refinements from Honda. Yamaha is dropping the ball again on the bigger displacement adv, but killing it with the T7. 
IMHO...

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, skipperT said:

I hate to not give Yamaha the nod, but the A Twin over a super ten wins hands down. The new model is really nice too, good refinements from Honda. Yamaha is dropping the ball again on the bigger displacement adv, but killing it with the T7. 
IMHO...

-Skip

Agree about the new AT, wonderful bike and very nicely appointed.  I wish Honda put the same effort into the VFR1200x, 1237cc V4, shaft drive, DCT, Honda's impeccable fit and finish and upright riding position!  Unfortunately Honda abandoned it after only 2 years in the U.S. 

48 minutes ago, skipperT said:

IMHO...

-Skip

I was looking at buying a Tenere 700, but instead I went for my 2015 Tracer and a 2018 CRF250L , which I can throw around and pick up when I fall off it.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 6/21/2020 at 8:05 AM, betoney said:

Thinking about it more, after 3+ years owning the FJ I am always comparing other engines to the CP3, when actually the bland and boring engine character is exactly what you want when exploring forest roads.  You don't want "spirited" or "quick revving" or need 150+hp when riding on goat trails in 2nd gear up in the foothills on a 600lb bike. 

I have actually been thinking about this bike more and more lately.  The Pacific Northwest has literally thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads in our National Forests and I cant tell you how many times I have been exploring only to turn around because the pavement ended and the road turned choppy and washed out.

• Thumbsup 2

Aye, Betoney, but if you drop it, it is an exhausting bike to lift, as it falls totally flat on it's side, so if you are on a downslope you will soon wear yourself out getting it upright again. You want the lightest bike possible, and you want a relatively bland engine, but with a bit of grunt in low gears, to get the front end light for bumps, whoops, fallen logs etc.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Stew said:

You want the lightest bike possible, and you want a relatively bland engine, but with a bit of grunt in low gears, to get the front end light for bumps, whoops, fallen logs etc.

For that I have a YZ250 setup for woods/enduro type riding.  Not street legal but more than capable in the gnarliest conditions you can imagine.

I had considered something small but the thing that interests me about the S-10 is it is capable of comfortably riding to Colorado AND riding on service roads when I get there, and I might never do it but it has always been a dream to ride to the Arctic Ocean (I have buddies w/ ADV bikes always putting thoughts in my head).  I'm not wanting to ride 'hard enduro' type terrain nor do I want to rev the bike to 8k on the highway.  The shaft drive with next to zero maintenance sure is attractive as well.  Still researching and day dreaming. a long way from making a decision.

• Thumbsup 1