320mm Front Rotor Upgrade on the GT Inquiry

ozn3

Has anyone done this on the GT? If so, how's your experience?

I believe, you'd need four 11mm spacers for the calipers and longer bolts. Would anyone know the exact bolt specification needed? Planning to use sintered brake pads with bigger front rotors for better braking power. 

• Supporting Member

@ozn3 I had some spacers made up and changed out the rotors and changed over to the Spiegler brake lines. I feel the biggest improvement was the line change. The bolts that I used are M10x1.25x90mm.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

There was a really detailed thread about this 320mm brake conversion topic, but it seems to have been removed.   It had part numbers for rotors, spacer specs, install tips, lots of personal experiences, etc...   

I’m thinking it was in the Forks By Matt forum area, and was removed since he’s no longer a supporting vendor.  @Cruizin - Is it possible to find that thread and move it into one of the active technical forums?  

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

There was a really detailed thread about this 320mm brake conversion topic, but it seems to have been removed.   It had part numbers for rotors, spacer specs, install tips, lots of personal experiences, etc...   

I’m thinking it was in the Forks By Matt forum area, and was removed since he’s no longer a supporting vendor.  @Cruizin - Is it possible to find that thread and move it into one of the active technical forums?  

Yeah, I saw that and was looking for it too. Sorry if I had to post this topic again 😅

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, texscottyd said:

Im looking for it

• Thumbsup 3

IIRC they gave an 11mm spacing. The diameter is the same as the calliper mount. Mine have a step/recess at each end so they insert in without wobbling, but I’m sure that’s not essential.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 hours ago, BBB said:

IIRC they gave an 11mm spacing. The diameter is the same as the calliper mount. Mine have a step/recess at each end so they insert in without wobbling, but I’m sure that’s not essential.

got this! I think I got it. Would anyone be able to verify these dimensions? please forgive my sketch haha actual photo of spacers for reference which I got off the MT09 forum. 

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n (1).jpg

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, ozn3 said:

got this! I think I got it. Would anyone be able to verify these dimensions? please forgive my sketch haha actual photo of spacers for reference which I got off the MT09 forum. 

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n (1).jpg

In the process of changing tires, so had a look. All these check out, except OD. Mine measures 25mm, but it is powder coated. The OD is a little larger than the mated caliper side, but just right on the fork side. If you already have these or can source them easily... I think 24mm will work fine.

Edited by piotrek
re-visited measurements
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

In the process of changing tires, so had a look. All these check out, except OD. Mine measures 25mm, but it is powder coated. The OD is a little larger than the mated caliper side, but just right on the fork side. If you already have these or can source them easily... I think 24mm will work fine.

awesome! thanks so much! will keep you posted on the progress of this "minor upgrade" :D 

• 11 months later...

Has anyone installed 310mm rotors so far, or only 320mm ones?

Asking as I do have a pair of 310mm YZF-R1 rotors (that were used in the 2007-2014 models), but since 2015 the R1 has 320mm ones. My concern is that I have the 11mm spacers and the 10mm difference will actually require different spacers and probably M10x1.25x80mm bolts, instead of the M10x1.25x90mm bolts used with the 11mm spacers and 320mm rotors.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, SuperMax said:

Has anyone installed 310mm rotors so far, or only 320mm ones?

Asking as I do have a pair of 310mm YZF-R1 rotors (that were used in the 2007-2014 models), but since 2015 the R1 has 320mm ones. My concern is that I have the 11mm spacers and the 10mm difference will actually require different spacers and probably M10x1.25x80mm bolts, instead of the M10x1.25x90mm bolts used with the 11mm spacers and 320mm rotors.

Are you sure they are 310mm? from an R1?  I dont think R1's ever came with anything other than 320mm rotors.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Absolutely sure they are 310mm! All R1' from 2007 to 2014 came with 310mm discs. It's only the R1's from 2004-2006 amd 2015+ came with 320mm.

Funny thing is that some rotor manufacturers specify the 320mm rotors for all R1 generations. The only downside would be having the pads not touching the 310mm rotors for about 5mm on the outer edge of it. 

PS: curious if the 320mm rotors made it a pain removing/installing the calipers, as the distance to the rim would be leaving very littile room for it

Edited by SuperMax
Typo
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1