ozn3

320mm Front Rotor Upgrade on the GT Inquiry

Has anyone done this on the GT? If so, how's your experience?

I believe, you'd need four 11mm spacers for the calipers and longer bolts. Would anyone know the exact bolt specification needed? Planning to use sintered brake pads with bigger front rotors for better braking power. 

@ozn3 I had some spacers made up and changed out the rotors and changed over to the Spiegler brake lines. I feel the biggest improvement was the line change. The bolts that I used are M10x1.25x90mm.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

There was a really detailed thread about this 320mm brake conversion topic, but it seems to have been removed.   It had part numbers for rotors, spacer specs, install tips, lots of personal experiences, etc...   

I’m thinking it was in the Forks By Matt forum area, and was removed since he’s no longer a supporting vendor.  @Cruizin - Is it possible to find that thread and move it into one of the active technical forums?  

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

There was a really detailed thread about this 320mm brake conversion topic, but it seems to have been removed.   It had part numbers for rotors, spacer specs, install tips, lots of personal experiences, etc...   

I’m thinking it was in the Forks By Matt forum area, and was removed since he’s no longer a supporting vendor.  @Cruizin - Is it possible to find that thread and move it into one of the active technical forums?  

Yeah, I saw that and was looking for it too. Sorry if I had to post this topic again 😅

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, texscottyd said:

Im looking for it

• Thumbsup 2

Does anyone know the exact specs/dimensions of the spacers? Will just have them made in a machine shop.

IIRC they gave an 11mm spacing. The diameter is the same as the calliper mount. Mine have a step/recess at each end so they insert in without wobbling, but I’m sure that’s not essential.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...

2 hours ago, BBB said:

IIRC they gave an 11mm spacing. The diameter is the same as the calliper mount. Mine have a step/recess at each end so they insert in without wobbling, but I’m sure that’s not essential.

got this! I think I got it. Would anyone be able to verify these dimensions? please forgive my sketch haha actual photo of spacers for reference which I got off the MT09 forum. 

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n (1).jpg

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

@ozn3 I have one more set of 11mm spacers left but the shipping to the Philippines would be cost prohibited.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ozn3 said:

got this! I think I got it. Would anyone be able to verify these dimensions? please forgive my sketch haha actual photo of spacers for reference which I got off the MT09 forum. 

105951639_886493015169398_8036959135803789935_n (1).jpg

In the process of changing tires, so had a look. All these check out, except OD. Mine measures 25mm, but it is powder coated. The OD is a little larger than the mated caliper side, but just right on the fork side. If you already have these or can source them easily... I think 24mm will work fine.

Edited by piotrek
re-visited measurements
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

In the process of changing tires, so had a look. All these check out, except OD. Mine measures 25mm, but it is powder coated. The OD is a little larger than the mated caliper side, but just right on the fork side. If you already have these or can source them easily... I think 24mm will work fine.

awesome! thanks so much! will keep you posted on the progress of this "minor upgrade" :D