R1250RT test ride

rustyshackles

• Premium Member

The BMW demo roadshow was in my area yesterday.  I chose the R1250RT.  30 minute ride with opportunity to stretch its legs just a bit.

Nice bike but I was expecting a more refined experience.  There were vibrations, and power delivery was not exactly instant.  Weight was down low and it felt more flickable than it looks.

The fleet all had NJ plates.  Could life on the road be effecting the bikes?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member

The 2017 R1250RT was going to be my next bike to replace my GL1800. That was until Yamaha showed up with their demo truck and the FJ09. I really liked the FJ09 for the reasons we all know.  I told the Yamaha guy, that I liked the FJ but I needed cruise control. He told me about the 19 GT that was going to be released next year. For once in my life I waited and I'm glad I did. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

The BMW demo roadshow was in my area yesterday.  I chose the R1250RT.  30 minute ride with opportunity to stretch its legs just a bit.

Nice bike but I was expecting a more refined experience.  There were vibrations, and power delivery was not exactly instant.  Weight was down low and it felt more flickable than it looks.

The fleet all had NJ plates.  Could life on the road be effecting the bikes?

Could be. If serious about one, I would ride a new one. I've ridden a couple of beemers. The suspension stood out the most. Very plush and comfortable ride. Can't get past the engine. Most bikes I've test ridden have better suspensions than our stock FJ's. Our engine has lots of character.

• Thumbsup 1

I have a friend who owns an FJ and an R1200RT.

When it's cold he rides the BMW and complains about its weight, usually removing the heavy hard bags.

When it's warm he's on the FJ grinning ear-to-ear.

• Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

If I had to replace my FJ-09 tomorrow, the R1250RT would be on my short list. It ticks many boxes for me, but I would have to ride it and see how I feel about the weight. I got to put 5700 miles on an R1100RT back in 1997 and I found it to be an excellent touring bike but not what I wanted at the time. My needs have changed. 

BMW NA is based in New Jersey, so their press and demo fleets will have NJ plates. 

• Thumbsup 1