Alternative panniers for a Tracer 900 GT?

I've just bought a 2019 Tracer 900 GT after my 2016 MT-09 Tracer was stolen earlier this year. The GT has the Yamaha panniers. They fit quickly and easily, but they're a bit small. You can't get a full face helmet in one for starters.

I had Givi V35 panniers with the removable frame on my previous bike. (Luckily not on it when it was stolen). I can get a new removable Givi frame for the 2019 bike, but it means I can no longer use the factory panniers. Does anyone know of any larger panniers that use the same mountings as the factory ones? One trick I've heard about is to use FJR 1300 panniers, but are there any other alternatives?

Cheers,

Tim

• Supporting Member

+1 for the touring (FJR) bags.  Got mine with brackets & liners for a great deal.

Of note might be that the bags are actually the same...the only difference is the lid.

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have a set of the SW-Motech Pro pannier racks on order from FC-Moto in Germany. Hoping Canada Post doesn't hold them up any longer.... 

I have a set of Trax cases in the attic that i've used on 3 Vstroms and look forward to them on the Tracer. I tried one trip with the factory side cases but I despise clamshell/side loaders. Not sure if i'll sell my factory bags or hang onto them in case I decide to sell the bike one day. 

image.thumb.png.81ad86d5d6ee785bbe54fe7379b838bf.png

On 6/23/2020 at 1:51 AM, Tim Tucker said:
On 6/23/2020 at 1:51 AM, Tim Tucker said:

I've just bought a 2019 Tracer 900 GT after my 2016 MT-09 Tracer was stolen earlier this year. The GT has the Yamaha panniers. They fit quickly and easily, but they're a bit small. You can't get a full face helmet in one for starters.

I had Givi V35 panniers with the removable frame on my previous bike. (Luckily not on it when it was stolen). I can get a new removable Givi frame for the 2019 bike, but it means I can no longer use the factory panniers. Does anyone know of any larger panniers that use the same mountings as the factory ones? One trick I've heard about is to use FJR 1300 panniers, but are there any other alternatives?

Cheers,

Tim

Cheers,

Tim

Tim. I use the same givi panniers plus a 50 litre givi top box and it all works well. panniers are on the same frame. Yamaha panniers will be sold with the bike

On 6/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, knyte said:

+1 for the touring (FJR) bags.  Got mine with brackets & liners for a great deal.

Of note might be that the bags are actually the same...the only difference is the lid.

Can you get a full face helmet in the FJR cases?

I'll have a look and see what's available on e-Bay, but I think I'll end up getting a new Givi frame and go back to using those when I need more storage capacity.

Thanks for all the replies, people.

• Supporting Member

I believe you can; although I haven't tried it, personally.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

13 minutes ago, Tim Tucker said:

Can you get a full face helmet in the FJR cases?

I'll have a look and see what's available on e-Bay, but I think I'll end up getting a new Givi frame and go back to using those when I need more storage capacity.

Thanks for all the replies, people.

It depends on the size and shape of the helmet. I couldn't get my XL nolan in my FJR bags. I personally don't think the FJR bags are enough of an improvement over the narrow GT bags. I think the Givi/Kappa adventure style bags or SW Trax bags would be better. Too many odd shapes inside the Yamaha bags for me.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Too many odd shapes inside the Yamaha bags

No kidding, that stood out for me, as well.  Even fitted bags are an oddball fit.  Rok straps help.  However, I carry more in the Givi roll up than in the panniers, personally - mostly just tools and rain gear.  The rollie gets all the clothes.

Edited by knyte

On 6/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, draco_1967 said:

It depends on the size and shape of the helmet. I couldn't get my XL nolan in my FJR bags. I personally don't think the FJR bags are enough of an improvement over the narrow GT bags. I think the Givi/Kappa adventure style bags or SW Trax bags would be better. Too many odd shapes inside the Yamaha bags for me.

I know what you mean.  I can get my Shoei NXR in the Givi panniers, but not my brother's Shark, which is bigger because it has an internal sun visor (and because he has a fat head).  I'm OK with the odd shape of the Givis (I have the fitted bags for them) -- you soon learn how to pack them, but it's not as easy as it would be for the big adventure-style boxes.