• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recommended Accessories? New Owner.

Hello everyone.

I am looking for recommended accessories that do not alter the performance of the bike. I am thinking SW Tech crash bars (looking for protection if I dump the bike, or it blows over........... would also be nice if they protected my leg a bit in a crash), and maybe their Skid Plate.

I am on the fence for a windscreen. I am nervous of altering how the bike rides, as I love the handling, and the main reason I got the bike is how well it tracks on windy days.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Hi Doehle

Welcome to the joy that is GT ownership. I can’t recommend enough the MRA Vario screen. I think you’ll agree that the stock screen is total pants and the MRA is light years ahead in terms of noise and comfort. I also fitted a Yamaha 50 litre top box with Yamaha rack. They don’t recommend this as the bike has a max payload of 179 kgs, but as I ride solo I don’t see it as a problem. As the panniers are only 22 litres each. I was glad of the topbox when I went to the Classic TT last year. The panniers alone would not have been enough; even for just one person.  Which brings me to the seat... Please read all the posts on this as it’s a major bone of contention and there’s a lot to read on e subject. I’m still deliberating in which one to buy. But everyone is agreed that it needs replacing. I recently did a 200 mile day and my arse was on fire when I got home. 
cheers

Paddy

• Thumbsup 2

17 minutes ago, Paddy01 said:

Hi Doehle

Welcome to the joy that is GT ownership. I can’t recommend enough the MRA Vario screen. I think you’ll agree that the stock screen is total pants and the MRA is light years ahead in terms of noise and comfort. I also fitted a Yamaha 50 litre top box with Yamaha rack. They don’t recommend this as the bike has a max payload of 179 kgs, but as I ride solo I don’t see it as a problem. As the panniers are only 22 litres each. I was glad of the topbox when I went to the Classic TT last year. The panniers alone would not have been enough; even for just one person.  Which brings me to the seat... Please read all the posts on this as it’s a major bone of contention and there’s a lot to read on e subject. I’m still deliberating in which one to buy. But everyone is agreed that it needs replacing. I recently did a 200 mile day and my arse was on fire when I got home. 
cheers

Paddy

I did a 300 miles ride yesterday and honestly I don’t think the seat is bad on uncomfortable. As long as you stop every couple hours and stretch / have a coffee for 10-15 min it’s good enough .

But when riding you should generally stop for gas every couple hours anyways . 

With that being said I heard that Yamahas own comfort saddle is good enough upgrade for long trips .

Also I am not planning on replacing the windscreen as it felt good neither for my 6”1 180lbs self, but then again I don’t mind a little wind on me here and there - part of the biking experience 

• Thumbsup 1

Radiator guard should be near the top of your list. The SW Motech crash bars and skid plate are both good. Mirror extenders are a popular choice too.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, BBB said:

Radiator guard should be near the top of your list. The SW Motech crash bars and skid plate are both good. Mirror extenders are a popular choice too.

+1 on the radiator guard as your first purchase for the bike.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, Victorvnv said:

I did a 300 miles ride yesterday and honestly I don’t think the seat is bad on uncomfortable. As long as you stop every couple hours and stretch / have a coffee for 10-15 min it’s good enough .

But when riding you should generally stop for gas every couple hours anyways . 

With that being said I heard that Yamahas own comfort saddle is good enough upgrade for long trips .

Also I am not planning on replacing the windscreen as it felt good neither for my 6”1 180lbs self, but then again I don’t mind a little wind on me here and there - part of the biking experience 

@Victorvnv - You certainly live in an area where fantastic riding can be found in every direction.  I try to ride in N.Ca. at least once a year and every time, I incorporate new roads to the ride.  I'm still finding awesome roads every time I visit, though I haven't made it any further South than Santa Cruz or Sonora Pass.  Some day I still have to make it down to Lake Isabella/Sequoia NF region and then North on PCH through Big Sur.

• Thumbsup 1

26 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Victorvnv - You certainly live in an area where fantastic riding can be found in every direction.  I try to ride in N.Ca. at least once a year and every time, I incorporate new roads to the ride.  I'm still finding awesome roads every time I visit, though I haven't made it any further South than Santa Cruz or Sonora Pass.  Some day I still have to make it down to Lake Isabella/Sequoia NF region and then North on PCH through Big Sur.

I actually live in San Jose about 40 min from Santa Cruz - and yea some great riding spots here I went with the teacher to Big Sur yesterday , did the entire ride until the sea lions place then rode back. Overall about 330 miles round trip, I felt great all the way until the last 50 miles but that was mostly becuase it got cold and I only had a long sleeve shirt and leather vest on me and also couldn’t figure how to turn on the heated grips lol.

Waiting to get to 600 miles for my first service and then off to Yellowstone National park.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

these are the crash bars i have. as3 crash bars

im 6'1" and just installed the v-stream touring windscreen, but even it has a bit of turbulent air on the top of my helmet, so i have a windscreen spoiler on the way for it. would recommend getting a skidplate too with the oil pan being so low. also a front fender extender helps to keep debris off the radiator. here is my bike for some ideas.

IMG_20200622_163436.jpg

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 2

Thanks for the tips everyone! :)

I never thought of radiator guard. My KLR (KLR branded) rear bag actually attaches with ease where the passenger would be, so I can stick with that if I can ever get an overnight trip in. :) lol. Should be enough space, when you add in the cases that come with the bike.

So far my wish list would be:

1. Radiator Guard

2. SW Tech Crash Bars (anyone running these and have an opinion?)

3. SW Tech Skid Plate

4. Windscreen upgrade (still worried about effecting the tracking of the bike, as #1 for me is stability, I have a boss helmut and can live with the wind........... might even use my airpod pros to cancel out the wind noise).

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Doehle said:

4. Windscreen upgrade (still worried about effecting the tracking of the bike, as #1 for me is stability, I have a boss helmut and can live with the wind........... might even use my airpod pros to cancel out the wind noise).

I would suggest riding with the stock screen for a few hundred miles before making a decision.  Try different height adjustments while riding and try to determine what position is making it better or closer to better, and even try riding with it removed.   You would be surprised how many prefer no screen or a very small screen for smooth, quiet airflow, especially now that it is summer.

I have also read other riders making 1" spacers for the screen so windflow goes under the screen to smooth out buffetting.  If yours isnt buffetting - your helmet is smooth and stable and not being thrown around like a ragdoll, then maybe just earplugs will suffice?

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Doehle said:

Hello everyone.

I am looking for recommended accessories that do not alter the performance of the bike. I am thinking SW Tech crash bars (looking for protection if I dump the bike, or it blows over........... would also be nice if they protected my leg a bit in a crash), and maybe their Skid Plate.

I am on the fence for a windscreen. I am nervous of altering how the bike rides, as I love the handling, and the main reason I got the bike is how well it tracks on windy days.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Larz has everything.  See him.

• Thumbsup 1

I just bought a left over new 2019 Tracer 900 and love it. I'm a bit new to motorcycles but here is what I got right away:

1) Radiator Guard (Everything kicks up into the radiator from the front tire. Coolant leak waiting to happen)

2) Carbtune to sync the throttle bodies (much less vibration on highway now). Received in 10 days from England!

3) $8.00 FJR foot pegs so that my feet don't go numb!

4) Yamaha OEM quick shifter (not a must have until you have it!)

5) Airhawk seat cushion. Makes a world of difference.

6) Still waiting on the Steering Stem Nut socket from England to do the torque sequence on the Steering Stem.

I have 1500 miles on it so far. It's a dream bike for sure. Going to be adjusting the suspension tomorrow for a smoother ride.

And of course I changed the oil and filter @ 600 miles. Honestly I don't believe that the dealerships do anything more than this @ 600 miles. There is no way that in about 1 hour they sync throttle bodies, torque the steering stem nut, adjust the chain and make sure that all other nuts and bolts are torqued. Watch you tube videos and do it all yourself. 

Edited by KillEmAll4u
  • Thumbsup 2