Whose up for some rides...

duckie

53 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Also SF a great place to get dead, too many driveways. MRR isn't exactly safe either, but at least it's 96.3% deserted. 

Don't be lil bbbeeeoooootch! Hehe. Yeah, I agree with salmon falls having too much traffic and driveways and such. Mrr is tits though! My favorite road in the entire country so far  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobbles said:

Haha don't be jealous just because you moved away. We miss ya bud! Some day I'm going to make it out to your neck of the woods to ride. 

I am totally jealous McLovin. Northern CA riding is unparalleled. If you do come my way, go just a smidge further east into western North Carolina, like Asheville area. That is the tits. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

16 minutes ago, koth442 said:

I am totally jealous McLovin. Northern CA riding is unparalleled. If you do come my way, go just a smidge further east into western North Carolina, like Asheville area. That is the tits. 

i second that.  bobbles...i'm over in NC now over by where he's talking about...in fact, koth and i got to ride together not that long ago out here... there's good stuff out this direction. and no...not the tail of the dragon. that's super overrated.

• Thumbsup 2

I feel like the tail of the dragon is a bucket list thing. I'll have to do it if I'm over there, even knowing there's better around. I'll just plan on spending more time there. For a minute I was contemplating buying a tracer from Texas and riding it home the long way to visit a few states over there. Unfortunately I can't really get 2 weeks off to do it right. 

I got to ride the MT-09 yesterday for a session at Thunderhill and man was that fun. I'm definitely getting a tracer/fj now! haha. Now the only question is do I have the patience to wait to sell the Tiger first...

• Like 1

I feel like the tail of the dragon is a bucket list thing. I'll have to do it if I'm over there, even knowing there's better around. I'll just plan on spending more time there. For a minute I was contemplating buying a tracer from Texas and riding it home the long way to visit a few states over there. Unfortunately I can't really get 2 weeks off to do it right. 

I got to ride the MT-09 yesterday for a session at Thunderhill and man was that fun. I'm definitely getting a tracer/fj now! haha. Now the only question is do I have the patience to wait to sell the Tiger first...

What about 1 week? Come buy mine and ride it home :P 

'15 FJ09

With z2? I've probably ridden 700-800 days at Thunderhill. Haha. 

My buddy Ryan was doing the demo program there...I imagine that's what you did? I work with the yamaha school.

Edited by com3
  • Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, com3 said:

With z2? I've probably ridden 700-800 days at Thunderhill. Haha. 

My buddy Ryan was doing the demo program there...I imagine that's what you did? I work with the yamaha school.

Damn that's a lot of days at THill!!! I can't even imagine having 700 trackdays, let alone at just one track. I think I have like 20 or so there. Yeah it was Z2 and Ryan was there with the demo program. I didn't get to chat much but he seems like a cool guy.  I'm definitely jealous of that gig, it sounds amazing to work with the Yamaha school. I spent a little time working with Precision and PTT, and that was a ton of fun. ...I need to get back into that somehow.

2 hours ago, Bobbles said:

I presume you did the East track? How was the windblast on the straightaway between 15 and 1? How about the whoop over turn 5?   Did the front end float too much? I only ever take my Gen 1 SV there, so the FJ would be a completely different experience.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

7 minutes ago, maximo said:

I presume you did the East track? How was the windblast on the straightaway between 15 and 1? How about the whoop over turn 5?   Did the front end float too much? I only ever take my Gen 1 SV there, so the FJ would be a completely different experience.

Yeah the East Track. There was a small windscreen on the MT-09 so the wind really wasn't that bad if you get close to the tank. I'm not real hard on the throttle on a borrowed bike, so coming over T5 was nice and smooth and then getting on the gas on the downhill and through 5A felt great. If you got on the gas earlier it would definitely lift the front.

I tried the MT-07 too, and honestly that one almost felt more prone to lifting the front (for me) because it was a blast to wack open the throttle on such a light bike.

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, maximo said:

the wind always pushes you down the front straight into 1 at thill.  it's coming over 9 where you catch the wind at an angle when the bike is already super light. 😮

• Thumbsup 1

54 minutes ago, com3 said:

the wind always pushes you down the front straight into 1 at thill.  it's coming over 9 where you catch the wind at an angle when the bike is already super light. 😮

I always undercook 9 because I'm too busy finding the water tower, and don't take enough entry speed.  Conversely, I overcook 5 and find myself out of line for 5A.

What I'm saying is, avoid Z2 when I'm there.  LOL   

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

3 hours ago, maximo said:

I always undercook 9 because I'm too busy finding the water tower, and don't take enough entry speed.  Conversely, I overcook 5 and find myself out of line for 5A.

What I'm saying is, avoid Z2 when I'm there.  LOL   

Hahaha! If the bazillion laps I've done at thill, I STILL don't know what water tower people are talking about... I use reference points that are close and easily identifiable...like for 9, over the blind crest, I divide the track into thirds mentally..I know I need to be on the right third every time at the crest.

__|___|___|__  

I need to be on that right most line above...make sense? 

• Thumbsup 1

It took me years to find that stupid water tower. By the time I did find it, I discovered I liked my line better, which is basically what com3 mentions above. Maybe if I had been looking for tenths to win a championship I'd have refined it more, but not likely. 

'15 FJ09

Y'all looking to shave tenths, and I'm looking not to get hit from behind by that guy stuffed into leathers 3 sizes too small riding a rented Ninja 250...

Com, I have to think that your method works way better. Maybe the value of the water tower is that it positions your body to react to running wide on the blind side of the turn?   

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, duckie said:

Tuesday I did  a 400 mile loop through the Sierras. Took 88 out of Jackson up to 89 down to 4 to Angels Camp. 9 hour ride.......little more than 4 hours total in time to just to get to and back where the good roads start.

Perfect day, not hot, not cold. Clean roads. Light traffic.

The elevation took some of the grunt away from the motor, but it still worked flawlessly.

It dawned on me that part of 4 is nothing more than a paved hiking trail when it goes from two lanes down to one......same with 108.

If ya know the top part of 4 where it is narrow and not divided, you know its tight, blind corners and such. I came around one corner, and coming up hill was a Semi tow truck, towing a semi cab. Wide and long. I wanted to turn around to follow him just to see how he went up, but time didn't allow for that.

88 was nice since its all two lane and well maintained. Lots of speed to be carried through some of the turns......

Week or so....going again, but leaving way earlier this time.

Hey Duckie - I'm also local (SJ). Was busy earlier this summer but now have time and would love to go hit a couple passes. Did you ever get back out like you mentioned above? I am down for that anytime in the next few weeks.