Exploring Idaho

fr8dog

• Premium Member

Headed out yesterday to ride the "Lowman Loop". The road between Idaho City and Lowman is kind of rough. Made it to Lowman and continued on 21 instead of "The Loop". My son is visiting in a couple of weeks so I wanted to explore some places I haven't been to. He's bringing his bike. Should be fun.

I noticed a mountain range on the right that looked familiar from pictures. There was a turnout so I pulled over and snapped a few pics. I've never seen them in person, but it looked like the Sawtooth Mountains.

About 30 minutes later I'm a few miles out of Stanley. The views were incredible. The Sawtooth Mountains to the right. Took a break at the BP. The mountains were like in the backyard. The pictures don't do them justice.

Time to head back and finish "The Loop". Lots of smiles.

A ride for another day will be to continue on and take the long way back through Sawtooth Nat'l Forest.

Screenshot_2020-06-24 Google Maps.png

20200623_135210.jpg

20200623_143015.jpg

20200623_135223.jpg

20200623_135246.jpg

20200623_143010.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member

@fr8dog - Dude you're killin' me, that is such a fantastic ride!  The twisty section from Idaho City to Lowman is ridiculous.👍  The rest of the route is beautiful as well and if you haven't continued past Stanley, the ride down to Sun Valley is well Worth it.  It is very hard to think of a better ride than that area on a sunny weekday with almost no traffic.  I rate it right up there with Lolo Pass into Montana.

Another GREAT ride North of you is the Old Highway 95 (White Bird Grade).  The old highway is mostly switchbacks up and over the grade and hard to believe it used to be the main route North, even for logging trucks.  When you ride it you say to yourself "there's just no way..."

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, betoney said:

@fr8dog - Dude you're killin' me, that is such a fantastic ride!  The twisty section from Idaho City to Lowman is ridiculous.👍  The rest of the route is beautiful as well and if you haven't continued past Stanley, the ride down to Sun Valley is well Worth it.  It is very hard to think of a better ride than that area on a sunny weekday with almost no traffic.  I rate it right up there with Lolo Pass into Montana.

Another GREAT ride North of you is the Old Highway 95 (White Bird Grade).  The old highway is mostly switchbacks up and over the grade and hard to believe it used to be the main route North, even for logging trucks.  When you ride it you say to yourself "there's just no way..."

Looks like a good ride. Over 400 miles of goodness! I've been as far north as Cascade on 55.

The road from Idaho City to Lowman is in bad shape. Half of it anyway. Needs to be repaved. Cracks coming up and potholes. You can be in a turn, hit a bump and get squirrely fast.

It's good to find some great roads. Thanks for the tip.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

I've been as far north as Cascade on 55.

It's good to find some great roads. Thanks for the tip.

Another suggestion for FANTASTIC riding in your area. - From Baker City there are 2 routes South, OR-7 to Austin is more scenic and relaxing and OR-245 to Unity is more twisty and technical - it is nicknamed 'The Mini-Dragon".  Both roads are awesome and if you haven't been to Hell's Canyon up by Copperfield, prepare to have your mind blown - no joke.

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, betoney said:

Another suggestion for FANTASTIC riding in your area. - From Baker City there are 2 routes South, OR-7 to Austin is more scenic and relaxing and OR-245 to Unity is more twisty and technical - it is nicknamed 'The Mini-Dragon".  Both roads are awesome and if you haven't been to Hell's Canyon up by Copperfield, prepare to have your mind blown - no joke.

Thanks! Looks like several great roads in those areas.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, betoney said:

This is looking like a ride for this Sunday.

Screenshot_2020-08-31 Google Maps.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

This is looking like a ride for this Sunday.

Screenshot_2020-08-31 Google Maps.png

That looks AWESOME.  I wouldn't change any part of it! 👍  I'll definitely be curious to see what you think about that ride after you get back.

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, betoney said:

That looks AWESOME.  I wouldn't change any part of it! 👍  I'll definitely be curious to see what you think about that ride after you get back.

Looking forward to it. This is close to 400 miles. I've done 325 and my arse was on fire. Stock seat. Seat Concepts is local here. Probably gonna try one of theirs.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Looking forward to it. This is close to 400 miles. I've done 325 and my arse was on fire. Stock seat. Seat Concepts is local here. Probably gonna try one of theirs.

They offer 2 models, I have tried both.  They offer a standard 'comfort' seat which is a step up in comfort from stock and also a 'sport touring' seat which is again another step up in comfort from the 'comfort' seat but a bit taller, at 6'-1" that didn't bother me at all. 

Just note, the matching rear seat cover is an additional $60.