Getting used to the Tracer

Stew

Just a lovely ride out, around 100 miles or so, all over the back roads around me, mostly 3rd and 4th gear twisty quiet roads, with hardly any traffic. No idea where I was going most of the time, just enjoying every moment, and working on my lines through bends and on getting the feel for the bike a bit more, especially the wider rear tyre and the engine braking.

Stopped by the lochside for a cool off and a drink and a smoke.

The chicken strips are slowly narrowing.

I cannot believe how much fun I am having on this bike, I was giggling and laughing on one particular amazing road, the A712 between Crocketford and New Galloway. Well surfaced, and just corners all the way, I would pay to ride it. It is one of the most fun roads I've ever ridden, and it's only a few miles from my home.

Got home to Eric the pheasant and his lady friend dining on scattered birdseed, 2 yards from my window. As an archer the temptation is great!

lochside1.jpg

lochside2.jpg

chickenstrips.jpg

Pheasants.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 4

Hi Stew, Sounds like a good day out. I was down your way last Sunday. Down past Clatteringshaws loch, Newton Stewart for a sandwich lunch in a car park and along the A714 back up to Girvan then home roads were very very quiet, lovely run out.

• Thumbsup 1

Aye, Clatteringshaws and all that way, it's brilliant. Tell you what though, that wee A712 is amazing, you'd love it.
NExt time you're heading down this way gimme a shout, I'm a couple of miles from Castle Douglas.

Orra best.

How come it's not pissing down with rain in your pics ?  Is it photoshopped ? 😂Every time I plan a trip, the forecast just shows a death cloud of rain for weeks.  Maybe it's a trick to keep the tourists out ?  Think the Tracer was made for Scotland, nimble and quick.  Amazing scenery, I'm a bit jealous, to say the least.

• Thumbsup 1

It was horizontal rain yesterday.
I had to go out again this evening for another wee 25 miles , just chilling and enjoying the grunt of the engine. I think I can foresee a new rear shock at some point, it is a bit bouncy at times (I'm only 9 1/2 stone) , and as far as I can tell, could do with a wee bit more damping. (i'm no expert). The brakes are brilliant, really confidence inspiring. And these Dunlop Sportsmax tyres are giving me good feedback. I put them down from 36f48r to 33f37r and it is giving me a lot more feel.

Telling you, I am loving this bike. I'm super slow on it, but I don't care. I walloped the throttle wide open a couple of times tonight, and was whooping like a madman, it was brilliant.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, Stew said:

I think I can foresee a new rear shock at some point, it is a bit bouncy at times (I'm only 9 1/2 stone) , and as far as I can tell, could do with a wee bit more damping. (i'm no expert).

Unless it already adjusted to its limit, try adding a few more clicks of rebound damping to the shock, clockwise, that should minimize the bounce.  Try 2 clicks at a time and then fine tune it with 1 click, ALWAYS ride with a screwdriver for this very purpose.👍

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

Unless it already adjusted to its limit, try adding a few more clicks of rebound damping to the shock, clockwise, that should minimize the bounce.  Try 2 clicks at a time and then fine tune it with 1 click, ALWAYS ride with a screwdriver for this very purpose.👍

I'm blushing here, I didn't realise it had adjustment, other than spring preload.
I absolutely will. Thanks Betoney. (I must pay more attention to detail, rather than just jumping on and riding)

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Stew said:

Thanks Betoney. (I must pay more attention to detail, rather than just jumping on and riding)

Its too easy to just want to jump on the bike and GO. 👍

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It really is. I bought the bike without ever having ridden one, or even seen one in real life. I was ever so nervous about it, but oh my goodness, it has brought back all the fun of riding a bike again, just like when I got my first bike in the olden days.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

It was horizontal rain yesterday.
I had to go out again this evening for another wee 25 miles , just chilling and enjoying the grunt of the engine. I think I can foresee a new rear shock at some point, it is a bit bouncy at times (I'm only 9 1/2 stone) , and as far as I can tell, could do with a wee bit more damping. (i'm no expert). The brakes are brilliant, really confidence inspiring. And these Dunlop Sportsmax tyres are giving me good feedback. I put them down from 36f48r to 33f37r and it is giving me a lot more feel.

Telling you, I am loving this bike. I'm super slow on it, but I don't care. I walloped the throttle wide open a couple of times tonight, and was whooping like a madman, it was brilliant.

I run all my tyres at 36-33, for the reason you give. When the sportsmax wear out, budget for Michelin road 5. Loads of grip, feel, warm up quickly even on a wet winters day (your summer ha ha ) Outstanding longevity for such grip. Take note of all suspension settings as they are now. Dial in (clockwise) several clicks rebound. Better or worse? Keep going until you get a compromise to your liking of no wallowing in corners vs harshness over bumps.   Your slow ? That's relative to others. Fun is where it's at, sounds like you got that sorted. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks TripleTrouble, I've always been a fan of michelin tyres, so I'll bear that in mind come the time.
I've done all the mad sportsbike 170mph stuff , I'm happy to wave other riders past me, I just want to be on corners all the time, not straight bits, anybody can twist a throttle in a straight line.
I'll fiddle with the suspension on a bit of bumpy road tomorrow, up and down till it feels as good as I can get it. (Although I might end up going out on the canoe on the loch if our summer holds up for another day :)

I could do both at the same time I suppose, but I'm not sure if my cargo net would hold the canoe in place :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

My way of thinking and life. I went back to a cbr600 from a 1000 Mille for same reason. Never thought I'd say it as I love my cbr, won't ever sell it, but the Tracer is now getting all the attention. For the future, FJR panniers will fit if you go touring, hold more and cheaper than gt panniers (on EBay) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad your enjoying the tracer.  Tyre pressure should be F 33  R 36. The stock suspension should be able to cope with your weight no problem.  If you have future plans for 2 up touring then maybe look at it again. 

Think I'd be on the water in this weather. 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Betoney and TripleTrouble, I;m just home from another lovely ride, and tweaked the rear shock, felt great, then tweaked it some more, not so great, so back tweaked it a touch, and it is so much more planted feeling with my wee skinny body on it.

I went on some proper bumpy roads, and it was much smoother all round, and on smoother roads it's like gliding along.

Wheeeeeee