Seat Slope Mod

I finally got a few hours of seat time on my Tracer this past weekend. Happy to report that the seat slope mod works excellent! Before the mod i would be would scooching back after about 30-40 miles and then constantly throughout the remainder of the ride.  After installing the mod i am no longer scooching back. This is the best and cheapest mod i have done to my Tracer since i bought it new. I'm half tempted to put the stock seat back on and give it a try again.

Thank you Clegg78 for making this kit and helping all of us Tracer/FJ/T9 owners enjoy our bikes more. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Just watched your video.  Why did they give such a large important bolt a 4mm size?

my kit is currently lost in USPS land. (what else is new) Denver to Pittsburgh, right past me near Harrisburg, to Philly. Why send it to Philly!! What's wrong with them!! They wonder why costs are up!! I was supposed to get it yesterday. Sorry rant off.

Weather now cold and wet here, wonder if I'll get a good test ride.

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Just watched your video.  Why did they give such a large important bolt a 4mm size?

Not only the tiny size of the hex hole but there is no need for the button shape to these screws. It doesn't need to be flat for clearance and it doesn't need to be pretty because unless you have the seat off it is always hidden. Besides, the horizontal ones right next to these two are proper bolts with hex heads.

I have a problem with hex hole fasteners anywhere anyway, because hex holes is probably the dumbest design for the very same reasons shown. Either use torx or even phillips heads if a hole needs to be used - better transmission of torque. Best is a hex-head bolt like I ended up using. I have never had an issue with any fasteners on my BMW bikes which have torx everywhere, made of good material.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

my kit is currently lost in USPS land. (what else is new) Denver to Pittsburgh, right past me near Harrisburg, to Philly. Why send it to Philly!! What's wrong with them!! They wonder why costs are up!! I was supposed to get it yesterday. Sorry rant off.

Weather now cold and wet here, wonder if I'll get a good test ride.

I have one package now that went to Brussels for a customer,  the customer never picked it up from the post as the Belgian post required for some reason beyond either of our comprehension,  it was returned to me... made it back to Denver 14 days later but was never delivered... and now 10 days after that is in LA in international processing, looking like its about to head back to Belgium.   I am getting legit concerned if the packaging can handle 4x international trips!   I am also curious if it is going to get stuck in a "return to sender" loop where it just keeps going back and forth until the end of time.  :) 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I have one package now that went to Brussels for a customer,  the customer never picked it up from the post as the Belgian post required for some reason beyond either of our comprehension,  it was returned to me... made it back to Denver 14 days later but was never delivered... and now 10 days after that is in LA in international processing, looking like its about to head back to Belgium.   I am getting legit concerned if the packaging can handle 4x international trips!   I am also curious if it is going to get stuck in a "return to sender" loop where it just keeps going back and forth until the end of time.  :) 

I had to pick up the package at the dutch post, as additional import duties are required in the EU. So you have to pay before you get the package. If you fail to pay, it will be returned to sender. Think it is the same in Belgium.

However, “my” post office did not know this and gave the package without paying. And I did not know this was required until I got a letter today stating I can get my package at the post office after paying my duties. But I already have it! Our post system is as weird as yours 😅

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

...I am also curious if it is going to get stuck in a "return to sender" loop where it just keeps going back and forth until the end of time.  :) 

That is funny when you think of it. How you can snatch it back one of these days and maybe try again.

• Thumbsup 1

So got mine in the mail today, after it's round trip around PA.😡

Easy install, only thing I've noticed is the shims + Velcro is higher than the shim under the tank mount. Had a hard time getting my Sargent seat under the metal tab and the rubbers over the shims. Now this might be a problem with the Sargent also.

Got it in and I'm happy, it is a big improvement in seating comfort. You don't realize how much your fighting the sliding forward till you don't have to. 

Bike is as perfect as I can make it...Just in time for winter.☹️

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

So got mine in the mail today, after it's round trip around PA.😡

Easy install, only thing I've noticed is the shims + Velcro is higher than the shim under the tank mount. Had a hard time getting my Sargent seat under the metal tab and the rubbers over the shims. Now this might be a problem with the Sargent also.

Got it in and I'm happy, it is a big improvement in seating comfort. You don't realize how much your fighting the sliding forward till you don't have to. 

Bike is as perfect as I can make it...Just in time for winter.☹️

Yeah that's kind of by design for the shim to be higher, the plastic is actually 1mm shorter on the foot pads (its 5mm even though it says 6mm;) )  but with the velcro compressed it should be ~ 6.5 mm or so.  Some seats can be tougher to install, I know the comfort seat has a softer foot pads and grips on the edge of the shims more.   

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, Grumpy Goat said:

That is funny when you think of it. How you can snatch it back one of these days and maybe try again.

Its heading back to Denver again... this package has traveled more in one month than I have in a few years!

11 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Yeah that's kind of by design for the shim to be higher, the plastic is actually 1mm shorter on the foot pads (its 5mm even though it says 6mm;) )  but with the velcro compressed it should be ~ 6.5 mm or so.  

I would expect that the shims+velcro would have to be made higher (uncompressed) than the shim under the bracket (uncompressable) so that when the velcro is compressed everything is snug. I think you made it just right.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Mission360 said:

That kit is not bad and good for people in the UK to save on shipping.   Mine is better though IMO :)  Using rubber bushings to keep the NVH isolation of the tank/frame (that one uses plastic ones),  and using higher end materials (Not sure if that kit uses PLA or PETG but mine uses high temp/strength/chemical resistant Nylon Carbon Fiber), and easier adjustability and consistency. 

But for Intl shipping price perspective, I cant fault that kit if its easy and fast to get it near where you live.  Mine is close to 10$ cheaper in USD as well.

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 4

So the packaged that was returned form Belgium after being shipped 1.5 months ago and traveled around the world ... made it back home today.  A testament to the packaging, everything inside was intact, and the packaging was also intact!    Repacked and reshipped to a different address for the customer (turns out the original address was wrong and that's why the customer never saw it and it was returned to sender)

image.png