Seat Slope Mod

• Supporting Member

The kit came today. Thanks @Clegg78. Installed and butt-tested in the garage for now. Feels pretty good and solid. Tight fit... but I am guessing the Velcro will compress a bit with time. Will give this a road test on Wednesday. 👍

A couple of shots of my Terry's Custom in lower position. Gaps aren't too bad. There was always a small gap between the seat nose and the tank trim.

seatSpacer_1.thumb.png.112268da55b8fa73e76d5f553009b186.png

seatSpacer_2.thumb.png.7330e55a9a6595a1a8cb28e12b8870ed.png

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thanks for the feed back guys!     I am still working on the T9 option, but am slammed with my day job right now and need to get a couple more design iterations on the new parts done. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Well... spent much of the day on the bike and gave the seat (both 😬) a good pounding. I guess it's one of those mods I didn't think I needed until I had it, because the upper right shoulder nag I normally experienced at ~500km was gone. There must be some improvement in posture overall. The RH side rubber cushion has a harder time settling on the spacer properly, but I will easily tweak that somehow. 👍

• Supporting Member

Found time today to check on the underside of the seat... and it was apparent it needed some tweaking. The rubber posts were deformed a bit, as they didn't quite make it onto the spacer properly.

cushion.thumb.jpg.e372615aeac55c67372c9337b39f191f.jpg

I decided to a) install the spacers tothe underside of the plastic tray, like @3banger suggested, and b) used a thin 2-way tape to fasten the spacers to the tray.

spacer.thumb.jpg.5daafdfe6dec2af54bc8e9ddc953cf1f.jpg

If I could suggest a couple of things @Clegg78... for the FJ-09 at least. The Velcro makes the spacers tall, and I think the top/ramp of the spacer should be finished smooth. The knurled/rough finish makes it more difficult for the rubber post to get on there cleanly.

All good though... the thing now works and is indeed a worthy mod for me. Thanks

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the feedback.  The rubber feet on that seat look a little more open and flexible than the ‘19-20 tracers.  

An easier way to make something slide over the pad would be to put some slick tape like packing tape over it if needed. 

Putting the pad under the tray isnt something I considered for this version (the ‘21+ kinda does that though) , if it works then awesome!

Edited by Clegg78

If anyone here around north of Belgium (Possibly south of Netherlands and Western Germany as well) is interested in making a group purchase to save on shipping costs, please send me a private message. I'll collect any replies and possibly make the purchase towards the end of the month.

8 hours ago, svenhof said:

If anyone here around north of Belgium (Possibly south of Netherlands and Western Germany as well) is interested in making a group purchase to save on shipping costs, please send me a private message. I'll collect any replies and possibly make the purchase towards the end of the month.

Too late for me 😩.

Just be aware you also have to pay VAT and handling costs when it arrives. VAT was €2,26, handling costs may vary, but added another €4 to my bill. This was in the Netherlands, don’t know about Belgium.

Hey all -  So after a ton of work  and assistance by @2NDCHILDHOOD I finished the design and testing portion for the '21+ Tracer 9GT / MT-09 seat slope mod.    You can see its a completely different arrangement than the '15-20 FJ/FZ/Tracer mod due to the accessibility of the fuel tank brace, and also that you actually need to remove the fuel tank brace to unbolt the top seat/tank bracket on the new bike. 

There are 2 versions of the kit now, one that is a standard 8mm shim which sounds like the go-to option for the Tracer 9GT, and an adjustable option that is 6+2mm for the MT-09 as the seat slope is not as dramatic on that bike, so 6mm can be used or it can be a full 8mm.

The new shim is more expensive than the previous gen due to the bolts being required, and that this shim takes 2x+ the material, 2x+ the print time to produce as the previous gen (almost 3x for the adjustable shim).    

I am selling 2 of each version of the kit for $10 off right now to get some out there and get some initial feedback, once those kits are sold out I will wait a week before opening up general sales. 

https://jk3d.us/product/yamaha-tracer9-mt09-seat-slope-mod/

2021-10-26_9-45-33.jpg

2021-11-10_15-47-10.png

2021-11-11_9-54-35.png

20211113_102445_remastered.jpg.01aa7e6d64d7fcc52599302486a8ead9.jpg

Shimkit.png

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 4

There is a chance this new kit could fit on a previous gen Tracer/FJ as well, but getting to the fuel tank brace mounts is  a bit more cumbersome, so I have not even looked at that.   But the brace does seem to be somewhat similar in spacing and bolts.